Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A few more:

Regards,

BC

Attachments

• ImgRetrieve.php.5.jpg
    ImgRetrieve.php.5.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 612
  • ImgRetrieve.php5.jpg
    ImgRetrieve.php5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 602
  • ImgRetrieve.php4.jpg
    ImgRetrieve.php4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 612
  • ImgRetrieve.php3.jpg
    ImgRetrieve.php3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 591
  • ImgRetrieve.php2.jpg
    ImgRetrieve.php2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 595
A few more:

Regards,

BC

Attachments

• Hurricane cockpit hit.jpg
    Hurricane cockpit hit.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 578
  • Hurricane tail.jpg
    Hurricane tail.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 578
  • HurricaneP3065.jpg
    HurricaneP3065.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 576
  • HurricaneP3065tail.jpg
    HurricaneP3065tail.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 572
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 576
Some more for the weekend:

Regards,

BC

PS: And before you ask Igor - no, I have no additional gen on the He 111 fuselage flak hit ! BC

Attachments

• hcll.jpg
    hcll.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 526
  • He111portfusflakhit.jpg
    He111portfusflakhit.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 535
  • hg36t.jpg
    hg36t.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 543
  • Hudson.jpg
    Hudson.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 541
  • hudson_reboundoff sea.jpg
    hudson_reboundoff sea.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 526
Assuming you were referring to the picture of the Hudson and not the Ju 88 with parts of its propellers missing posted by v2, the answer, I would imagine, is "with great flying skill and a lot of luck" !
Unfortunately I do not have any info on it other than it is an RAF Coastal Command Hudson which hit the sea whilst low-flying but managed to RTB with one propeller badly bent and damage to the underside.
I have another pic in a book showing a Do 217 from KG.66 which RTB with one propeller badly bent after it hit the surface of the North Sea during a night sortie over England but managed to stay airborne.

v2, any additional gen on your first picture ?

BC

No I was referring to the first Ju 88 in post 269. Half of all the propellers on the starboard side have been chopped in half, and the same looks like it on the port side.

vikingBerserker: Sorry, thought you meant the Hudson. I am sure I have got a very similar picture of a Ju 88 which had a wooden prop blade fly off into the side of the nose. I had a few more which Ed West found on eBay but I lost a few in a 'crash' two years ago. I may have it on a CD and will look over Christmas.

drgondog: Can you please identify your father (i.e. his name and rank) and his P-51 unit when the 22 March 1945 incident took place ? I'd like to include the picture in my slide show and would appreciate a few more details if possible.

antoni: The same picture of Wellington IV Z1407 "Zoska" appears on P123 of "The Wellington Bomber" by Chaz Bowyer, but he gives the pilot as one Flt Lt Marian Wlodarczyk ? Who is right ?

A few more:

Regards,

BC

Attachments

• Haworth Russell C Lt and SSgt Padgett.jpg
    Haworth Russell C Lt and SSgt Padgett.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 562
  • HaliMZ928158Sqn141044.jpg
    HaliMZ928158Sqn141044.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 568
  • GuyGibsonHampdenBBC.jpg
    GuyGibsonHampdenBBC.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 572
  • gribi_2.jpg
    gribi_2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 568
  • fredflakhole.jpg
    fredflakhole.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 574
Yeah, that has to be a cannon round to tear a hole that big into it. Dont think it would be 30mm though.

Could have be caused by an AA shell before it detonated at a higher altitude.

Assuming you were referring to the picture of the Hudson and not the Ju 88 with parts of its propellers missing posted by v2, the answer, I would imagine, is "with great flying skill and a lot of luck" !
Unfortunately I do not have any info on it other than it is an RAF Coastal Command Hudson which hit the sea whilst low-flying but managed to RTB with one propeller badly bent and damage to the underside.
I have another pic in a book showing a Do 217 from KG.66 which RTB with one propeller badly bent after it hit the surface of the North Sea during a night sortie over England but managed to stay airborne.

v2, any additional gen on your first picture ?

BC

Ju 88 D-1 from 1.(F)/120. Touched sea surface during mission on england, but managed
to return safe. Flew 700 km with destroyed propellers back to Sola. 10 % damage, not listed. Date unknown, Possibly after may 1943

The shot of the hole in the top of the B24 I think is possibly of damage from a flak round, but very possibly from aircraft fire though, and either 13mm or 20mm. The projectile entered from below and detonated on or during exit. Note how the metal is bent upwards, and the splinter damage around the periphery.

A cannon shell will not detonate until the contact fuse is activated.

Assuming the shell is conservatively travelling at 2500ft/sec, if the fuse is activated and detonates the explosive in 0.00005sec (or 5/100,000 thousands of a second) the shell will not detonate until 1.5in below the aluminum skin. So possibly an upper cannon shot from a fighter.

The shot of the hole in the top of the B24 I think is possibly of damage from a flak round, but very possibly from aircraft fire though, and either 13mm or 20mm. The projectile entered from below and detonated on or during exit. Note how the metal is bent upwards, and the splinter damage around the periphery.

Yes
Metal is bent upwards.... so it not fired upon from above.

Piet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back