Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a better picture of the exhibition in a park in Japan during the war. It shows it from the other side and pretty much the whole airframe. It's in the Time-Life book "Bombers Over Japan" in their WWII series. I will post a scan or more likely a picture of said when I can, though it will be difficult as it is large and over two pages. Anybody else have this book? Just curious.

WWII series... But forget that now, because I found it (in of all places Wikipedia):

nakano_1.jpg

With the following caption:

"First Lieutenant Toru Shinomiya was selected to lead the Hagakure-Tai. On 3 December 1944 Shinomiya, along with Sergeant Masao Itagaki and Sergeant Matsumi Nakano, intercepted a B-29 raid; Shinomaya rammed one B-29, but was able to land his damaged Ki-61, which had lost most of the port outer wing, back at base. After attacking another B-29 Itagaki had to parachute from his damaged fighter, while Nakano rammed and damaged Long Distance of the 498th BG and crash-landed his stripped-down Ki-61 in a field. Shinomaya's damaged Ki-61 was later displayed inside Tokyo's Matsuya department store while Nakano's Ki-61 was displayed outside, alongside of a life-size cut-away drawing of the forward fuselage of a B-29.[28][N 5] "

Maybe I will post the caption from the Time-Life book if I don't feel lazy...:lol:

Anyway, funny how the mind works isn't it? I read that book maybe 20 years ago and I remembered THAT specific picture. And it took me 10 years to memorize my social security number!

NOTE: Maybe Shinpachi can translate the Japanese text on the photo

Last edited:
Cool! "Land" probably isn't the right word. :) And the backing of that cardboard B-29 can be seen in the first pic that was posted!

The caption for the same picture in the Time-Life book is as follows:

"Curious Japanese crowd Tokyo's Hibiya Park to peer at a full-scale model of a B-29 along with the Kawasaki Swallow that brought down the original aircraft on December 3, 1944. The fighter pilot managed to crash-land his damaged plane in a rice paddy. The B-29 was demolished, but the Japanese made a reasonably accurate guess at the arrangement of crew stations in its nose. Beneath the painted cutaway are remnants of the bomber: tires, machine-gun parts and, at far right, a fuel tank"

A German propaganda image of Stanford Tuck's Spitfire shot down by anti-aircraft fire over northern France on 28th January 1942.
Stanford-Tuck-crashed-spitfire-595x381.jpg

The pic of Tuck's Spitfire is just crying out for a caption:-
Luftwaffe Officer, bending over map "Nein, Herr Tuck, you are in der wrong field, hein? You should be ...let me show you ...here!"

398th BG B-17G with the nose blown off shown here many times. Picture by then SGT Hreachmack, unit photographer. His son is a pal of mine.
Pic always credited USAAF, but now ya know who took the picture!

398BG in flight, SGT Hreachmack was a waist gunner in addn to being the unit photographer

398042_532145230151927_868041207_n.jpg

wartime official pics did not list the photographer but as the unit shutter bug, SGT Hreachmack has got to be the one who took the well-known shot

45521_532145363485247_233341866_n.jpg

and here he is

556584_532145496818567_364400063_n.jpg

He left the Air Force after the war, was called back for Korea called back another time too. Retired as a Major.

Last edited:
Some of these look serious.

109damage-1.gif

109cockpitdamage.gif

109fuselagedamage.gif

109wingdamage.gif

You think your car drops a bit of oil!

oilleak.gif

oilleaks2-1.gif

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back