Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Similar to the B-17. Not sure if posted but, the whole crew was killed except Charles E. Culp Jr who escaped through the bombay and deployed his chute at 2000 FT

Attachments

• 800px-B-24_Liberator_shot_down_by_a_Me_262.jpg
    800px-B-24_Liberator_shot_down_by_a_Me_262.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 360
"...this photo has been taken the 21st of January 1945 at Alesani. This B-25J was the "8P" 43-27657 with pilot, 2nd Lt. W.B. Pelton. After the bombing of San Michele, the flak started to fire but nobody was hit. Changing the heading to join Corsica, a strong blast of wind unbalanced the "8U" 43-4064 with pilot, 1st Lt. W.Y. Simpson. The 8U collided with the 8P tail and killed the tail gunner S/Sgt. Aubrey B. Porter. The 8U came down in a spin and crashed with all the crew members (KIA). The 8P landed safely at Alesani with such tail. 8U crew: Pilot, 1st Lt. William Y. Simpson/ Copilot, 2nd Lt. Frederick C. Greenig/ S/Sgt. James C. Rice/ Sgt. Doyle G. Shipley/ Sgt. Robert J. Jackson/ Cpl. Fred B. Hicks. 8P crew: Pilot, 2nd Lt. W.B. Pelton/ Cap., F/O H.K. Shackelford/ S/Sgt. A.J.Bertagna/ S/Sgt. R.C. Garner/ Cpl. H. Lisby and S/Sgt. A.B. Porter (MIA). (The crew lists give only the pilot positions nothing about the gunners) I have only the names. Unfortunately for 1st Lt. Pelton, the 16th of March 1945, his B-25 "8H" ditched at 4 miles after the take-off, the two engines stopped at the same time, the plane blown up in touching the water. Only the body of the radio-gunner was found and buried at the cemetery of Bastia- S/Sgt. Lawrence W. Kahl."

The 489th Bombardment Squadron in Corsica

Attachments

• B-25.jpg
    B-25.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 365
  • B-25 1.jpg
    B-25 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 369
  • B-25 2.jpg
    B-25 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 366
That B-24 photo (post #461) has always disturbed me for some reason...I remember reading an article about it and there was an enlarged view of the ball turret that went with the article. At the time that photo was taken, the majority of the crew that wasn't killed/injured outright, were still at thier stations (pilot/copilot, navigator, tailgunner, etc).

Aparently, the gunner is still inside that ball...

Last edited:
By the simple design of the aircraft that must have happened a lot. Its also true that a number of crewmen would have died helping get the gunner out of the turret taking time that they didn't have. Seconds count in those situations

The B-17 I posted I switched to the other way because the letters were wrong. That was me. But somebody apparently has been messing with the print. Looks like Capt V has the correct pic.

yeah but yours is light enough that it almost looks like you are able to see the waist gunner.

the G forces in situations like that were tremendous. i have read account after account where pilots or crew were pinned to the sides or ceiling of the planes and had to fight with all their strength to get to an entrance.

Last edited:
T-Bolts again !

BC

Attachments

• w-395-rife-l-wing-250x199.jpg
    w-395-rife-l-wing-250x199.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 465
  • w-395-rife-rt-wing-250x168.jpg
    w-395-rife-rt-wing-250x168.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 466
  • P47holeinpropldk_2.jpg
    P47holeinpropldk_2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 462
The Halifax could take some damage. The second one has shades of the B17 without a nose.

Attachments

• Halifax after NF attack.jpg
    Halifax after NF attack.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 457
  • Halifax post accident.jpg
    Halifax post accident.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 439
Some excellent NEW pictures for the collection there !

The Wimpy hit by the 250 lb UXB was a completely new incident to me.

The first Halifax I believe to be Halifax B.II Series I JD146 'B' of 10 Sqn which was repeatedly attacked by a Ju 88 night-fighter on 2 August 1943 during night ops to Hamburg. Pilot F/O J Jenkins and crew got home safely. The Halifax gunners claimed to have dispatched the Ju 88 in flames.

The Halifax minus nose was Halifax B.III MZ465 'Y' of 51 Sqn which collided in mid-air with a 347 (FF) Sqn Halifax over France whilst returning from Saarbrucken on 13 January 1945. The FF Halifax, which was struck from behind, went down and three of the crew were killed. The 51 Sqn aircraft, minus 9 ft of the nose, and with the Navigator and Air Bomber both lost with the nose section and killed, was flown back in trying conditions and pilot F/O A L Wilson managed to land safely, despite the fearsome damage. One report says this bomber landed at "an airfield near Brussels" but the location was actually Ford, in Sussex.

Wonderful pictures guys, thanks for posting.

BC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back