Battle of Britain 75th in 2015

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Or, if you fancy it, 'The Queens Head' in Fowlmere village. It's an old, thatched-roof pub, used by both RAF and USAAF 8th AF personnel during the war. It's recently been 'tarted up' a bit inside, but retains the character, and serves good food and good real ale.
Just around the corner, on the main street, is 'The Chequers', another old aircrew haunt, with the 'Chequers' sign board having the blue and white checks of 19 Sqn, RAF, on one side, and the red and white checks of the 339th FG (P-51s), 8th USAAF, on the other, both based at Fowlmere airfield (which is almost opposite our campsite). I believe it's more of a restaurant now though.

Works for me! I'll keep the fifth night in Royston then and go down to northwest London Tuesday morning and find a place to stay near the Hendon museum. I'll plan to visit Hendon for sure and will try to fit in Salisbury Hall, though will drop it if the timing doesn't work. The two museums are reasonably close together. I need to be back at Heathrow by about 2pm Wednesday.

Tomorrow is departure day. I have packed maple syrup, maple butter and six cans of locally produced beer from six different micro breweries. In addition I brought back two cans of Panamanian beer so I have included them as well. Camera bag is packed so I think I have all the essentials to go along with my passport and some cash.

Cheers,

Jeff

Looking forward to meeting up with you and Jason, and of course Andy, on Sunday.
I hope you get through airport security with all that swag you're bringing. And don't forget your badges ! No badge means you buy the beer all weekend, and you don't get bacon - or one of Karl's steaks !!

If any other forum members are going to Duxford this weekend, on Saturday look out for Jeff, his friend Jason, Andy, and my friends Max and Barbara, who should all be wearing a 'Battle of Britain 75 - WW2 Aircraft.net' name badge, with their country flag, and name, printed on it.
If anyone is going to be there on Sunday, when Karl and I will be there, we're all meeting-up at the entrance to the 'Flight Line Walk' at 11.00 hrs.

See you on Sunday morning, about 07.15 hrs, at your hotel Andy. We'll pick you up and take you to DX, as we're only just 'down the road' from your hotel.
Have a good flight.

Wish you could join us David - it should be a great weekend.
It would be great if more members could come over next year, for 'Flying Legends', which will have more variety, and a great two-day show, with nearly four hours of flying displays per day, plus the usual stuff flying around before the shows start.
Just had text from Andy, who was there today for arrivals, and it's sounding good.

In response to "Ozmuppet" (I like that!), well, yes actually!

Met up with Jeff and his friend Jason today and wandered around Dux and watched whatever might come along. Day started a little damp but had some nice lighting for pics near the end. Here's a taste of things to come and I'm sure Jeff will have much nicer ones to post when he gets home. Let's start wth Sally B looking a little damp and finish off with some fly-ins and practice loops. I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to start a separate thread for the show proper.

090 Posted.jpg
472 Posted.jpg
568 Posted.jpg
558 posted.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back