Before I re-started with plastic...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
I did this unsual kit:
DSCN0275-vi.jpg
DSCN0276-vi.jpg

DSCN0277-vi.jpg
DSCN0281-vi.jpg

DSCN0282-vi.jpg

It's a 1:16 scale model of Sopwith Camel built with wood parts with some white metal for the struts and, of course for the engine and machine guns. Control stick and pedals are connected to ailerons and rudder that can be operated.
My only addition is that little bit of fuselage just covering the back side of control panel.
If you don't know this kind of kits, you can have a look here
Model Airways 1/16 Sopwith Camel F.1, WWI British Fighter - 1917 Wooden Airplane Kit
Cheers
Alberto

Beautiful job Alberto. I saw a similar model some years ago, where the modeller had left one half uncovered, as in your model, and the other half 'fabric' covered and painted. Looked superb.

Beautiful job Alberto. I saw a similar model some years ago, where the modeller had left one half uncovered, as in your model, and the other half 'fabric' covered and painted. Looked superb.
Yes, honestly at some point I was considering to do the same, but it was too late. I should have planned it well in advance, in order to overcome the main issue: how to connect all cabling across the fabric.
May be next time I decide to do something similar.
Cheers
Alberto

Much, much more than a Guillows kit. No dispespect to that fine company, but their kits are primarily designed as flying models, as a representation of the actual thing, whereas Alberto's model was designed as an accurate exhibition piece.
A number of years ago, a mainstream manufacturer had a similar kit of the Camel, in a large scale. I can't remember who, but it was a limited edition, I think from Tamiya.

A number of years ago, a mainstream manufacturer had a similar kit of the Camel, in a large scale. I can't remember who, but it was a limited edition, I think from Tamiya.
Hasegawa was the one.
When I was searching for a kit like the one I did, I was able to find out that Hasegawa still offer 1/8 scale kits.
There is a very nice Fokker DR1, look here:
Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker DR1 Triplane Museum Model
but also look at the price: USD 799.96!! So I decided to go for Model Airways ...
Cheers
Alberto

Ah, it was Hasegawa, thanks Alberto. I was the same, probably 20 years ago now, when i saw the Camel. I thought 'I've got to have one of those!'. Then I saw the price, about £300 if I remember - 20 years ago !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back