Best AA weapon (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flak 37 Zwilling used in limited quantities on the big Berlin Flaktürme and on the ground against the Soviets, etc.......

Attachments

• o-1092904161-c4gij6tm_402.jpg
    o-1092904161-c4gij6tm_402.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 505
Those rounds were all put together and loaded in large numbers of around 10 or so correct so that it did not needed to be loaded every shot correct.

That would have been awesome devestation, especially against infantry! The Vierling 20 mm used to rip infantry to pieces. I have heard in 3 hours one Wirbelwind killed [estimated] 80 U.S soldiers during the advance in the hedgerows. I don't know if that's true...but I think it'd be possible.

If they'd have got that 37 mm up to Vierling....<shudder>

Here's some German AA shots I have, the name of the file is what it is...so I don't need to tell you.

Attachments

• 20_mm_flak_30_209.jpg
    20_mm_flak_30_209.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 20_mm_vierling_flugzeug_abwehr_kanone_38_834.jpg
    20_mm_vierling_flugzeug_abwehr_kanone_38_834.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 471
  • 88_mm_flak_18___36_185.jpg
    88_mm_flak_18___36_185.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 471
  • 88_mm_flak_37_287.jpg
    88_mm_flak_37_287.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 471
  • flak_36___37-bocage_blocking_position_158.jpg
    flak_36___37-bocage_blocking_position_158.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 480
Did you know that the Finns made use of the 88mm as standard AT and artillery well after the war ? They actually still have several quite preserved and in working condition....

The wackiest AA gun I ever saw was the 6in on HMS Tiger. On an AA shoot each barrel could fire 30 rds/min although this was normally kept down the 15 rds/min due to barrel wear. In 1973 I saw one of these score a direct hit on the target being towed by a Canberra.
The 3in turret was almost as much fun as she fired 90rds/min per barrel. The vibration was incredible. Our mess was around the A turret trunk and when we went back after the shoot everything thrown around with lockers burst open and any china broken.
This was the supposed to be the last voyage of the ship and as it was the last 6in armed ship in the fleet, the Captain upped the ROF to the maximum. Later we found that she was to be kept in service for another couple of years. We didn't want to think about the state of the barrels.

My friend who is in the Navy told me about the Phalanx one time and how he watched one take out a drown. He said it was like a loud buzz and you just saw the drone dissintigrate. I bet it was quite impressive.

I have just bought a book on AA weapons and I think im going to change my mind on the best ones, it does look like the US developed some very impressive shooters. I bet that was fun on your mess deck glider with that 6inch banging away must have made yer teeth rattle.
I think the Phlanx is a brillliant piece of kit Adler, not so nice if you're on the recieving end though. I've heard that it can hit a shell in flight any one know if this has been proved?.

i know about the Phalanx, she can destroy two missiles in under a couple of seconds, even if they're at different ranges, and not only does she use her own radar to track incoming missiles (and i suppose this'd work for shells), but she also uses her radar to track the bullet's she's fired, and so it's unbelievably accurate, or atleast i think she does......

Its an interesting point that the only missile to shoot down another missile in actual combat was a Sea Dart, which wasn't designed to be an anti missile weapon.
The Seawolf has shot down a cannon shell a number of times in sales drives. Its almost its party piece.

Wouldn't you consider a war - "actual combat" - being that the Patriots during the Gulf and Iraq wars did shoot down many Scuds.

Your correct. I was thinking of surface to surface sea skimming missiles the type which phalanx's and other point defence sytems are designed to defend against.
My mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back