Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

by the way it was quite common for US heavy bomber crews to abandon ship through the bomb-bay

That would look pretty funny, i can just imagine a plak and white piece of film footage of a B-17 with a load of men dropping out the bomb bay in quick succession :lol:

The bomb bay was a common method of exit for those on the flight deck (pilot, co-pilot, flight-engineer) and anyone in the radio room immediately behind the bomb bay. I've seen some footage of this being done. It might look silly, but it was the quickest way out for those individuals in a situation where time was of the essence.

if this was both at day i would agree, and i'll agree anyway but can i just point out that as the lancaster flew at night the fighters had to get allot closer to the lanc to identify and take aim at it, bringing the fighter well in range of the lanc's defensive armorment where the attacker would be "strongly disscouraged" from attacking...................

The same advantage would have applied to the B-17 if it had flow at night. The simple fact is that the B-17 was better able to withstand battle damage.

i said i agreed with that, i'm just saying that it tokk more than allot of people think to bring one down because of the reasons i mentioned, as well as the corkscrew......................

the lancaster kicks ass said:
if this was both at day i would agree, and i'll agree anyway but can i just point out that as the lancaster flew at night the fighters had to get allot closer to the lanc to identify and take aim at it, bringing the fighter well in range of the lanc's defensive armorment where the attacker would be "strongly disscouraged" from attacking...................

But because the Lancaster had relatively thin armour, it would only take one or 2 lucky hits to bring it down. And I'm sure that before an enemy pilot withdrew from the pursuit, he would take a quick pop at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back