Best Bomber Killing Aircraft......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

proof is that both the Lanc and B-17 were shot down at night and they were not that hard of a victim to bring down.

the German ammo was superior to anything as the relatiosnhip to cannon arms. with an RD-X component the Minengeschoss was the destructive round in the air war. simple but very much effective.

the night fighters in the Bf 110G and Ju 88G did not use it because of the destructive properties in the Schräge Musik installation but a mild form of tracer, and HE which eaisly brough down all 4 enigne bombers. Because an Allied bomber could be determined by the blip on the radar screen as well as visual the crews did not have to get in that close to have the 2cm weapons take effect on the rear gunner and inboard engines. Will say that manay night fighter crews could not properly ID their RAF victims at night as it was happeneing all too fast and of course on a moonless night you could barely tell a shape, so the log-buchs make reference only to a 4-engine bomber

E ~

Yeah, I agree with you Erich, with the 'ease' almost that the Nachtjagd had in disposing of bombers, especially deadly was the 'Shrage Muzik' oblique cannon, firing-up into the bombers, preferably the wings, for the fuel tanks and engines...
The Allies were bloody lucky really, that the German High Command kept dicking-around and obstructing Kammhuber and his successors from developing the Nachtjagd to it's fullest potential, and when they did acknowledge that 'defensive' was the correct strategy, not 'offensive' [Hitler just wanted to attack and bomb everything], it was too late. But they fought to the last drop of fuel and were taking down bombers right to the end...

I was wondering about the gun-flash on the 262's, due to the position of their cannons.... They stated in the book that they only used two sometimes, probably the lower two ! - In discussing this with the last [very elderly] survivor of one of our Mosquito Squadron's recently, he said when the guns were fired on them at night, there were flames shooting-out about 10-15 yds. in front of the aircraft, along with their thunderous bucking from under their feet, the recoil taking about 30 mph. off their airspeed.... The Nightfighter Mossies only used their 4 cannons, to keep gunflash to a minimum, and minimal tracer... - I know German tracer was red in colour, I was wondering what colour the Allied tracer was ? Was it different for machine-gun from cannon ? - Anyone know ???....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._507.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._507.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 870

Users who are viewing this thread

Back