best fighter of ww II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Are these the exact same arguments we went through on the P-38 v. Mossie thread a while back?

The P-38 was the better aircraft because it was an excellent fighter and good bomber. The Mossie was an excellent bomber but at best an average fighter.

I had seen that magazine but never had the chance to read the article. I am sure it was interesting but it hardly proves the case of the Mossie being a great FIGHTER aircraft.

Firstly, the Hurricane was a great fighter in the BoB and held the battle as more Spitfires came on line...in no way do I denigrate it's AWESOME contribution to the early battle to hold England from invasion, and it went on to serve admirably on other fronts throughout the War. It was terribly out-classed when the Fw-190 came on the scene, even the Mk.V Spits had to work hard until the Mk.IX appeared.- [ I'm at the stage in this book where the Fw-190 made it's debut, and contrary to popular belief, many of them fell to Mk.V's guns, but gradually German Radar and tactics did get the better of them...]

- I notice though, we keep going back to P-38 / Mosquito....You guys can keep crying-down Mosquitos, and pumping-up the P-38...I guess you have to, because P-38's in the ETO just didn't do it, as I've posted already, and there were 'Mosquito Aces' as you call them, they just didn't trumpet on about their successes...Over an above the Mossies very impressive Nightfighter Role, you may want to check-out the Banff Strike Wing's role and other Wings activities leading up to and after D-Day...If it was such a 'loser' aircraft as you suggest, then why did the US 8th AF have over 40 Canadian-built F-8 PR Mosquitos for their use for their 'Strategic Air Offensive'...-The Mosquitos' huge contribution to Pathfinding with Bomber Command lead to eventual Victory, they were the first aircraft to down a V-1 air-to-air on 15 June 1944 [FB.6 of 605 Sqn.] then there were all the duties they performed in the Far East and Pacific...

- The P-38 was quite distinctly unique in it's configuration, the Westland Whirlwind was the only other aircraft remotely like it, that comes to mind, and they were grossly under-powered...The only other aircraft that I believe came into the roughly the same catagory was the DH Hornet, and you don't want to go there, partly because altho' it flew during the War, it didn't enter service until afterwards, and it WAS a better aircraft....
- The P-38 can't have been so successful, or else they wouldn't have trashed them on the spot at War's End....whereas the Mosquito and it's hot-rod s/seater progeny, the Hornet, went on to serve for a decade or two postwar, when the Jet Age really set-in.....Even the Mustang stayed-on for bloody years after, but not the P-38, F4U, Hellcat etc. etc.....

- The Spitfire was the 'Best Fighter' and 'Best PR s/seater'... it was there at the beginning, the end, and afterwards.....it's ONLY drawback was it's limited range, which was gradually accomodated like the others, with drop tanks...
- The Mosquito was the 'Best Nightfighter, Best Pathfinder, and Best Fighter/Bomber [along with the Beaufighter], and it was also 'Best twin-engined PR'....
- Sorry guys, it'll be a rainy day in hell before I concede the P-38 was the 'Best Fighter', other than in the PTO, and it's service in the MTO....It was never as reliable as the Spitfire or Mosquito, and even the Pilots of the Day said so....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._839.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 247
Here's a little bit posted on the Fighting Irish BB...

Users who are viewing this thread