• Italian Carcano

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japanese Arisaka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • German Gehwer-43

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will tell you guys one thing that I dont like about the SMLE, is that is was so damn heavy, in many sources it was about 6-8 pnds thats BS, it was also a top heavy barrel that makes it difficult to keep a barrel still for a certain amount of time before your arm gets tired.

102first_hussars said:
I will tell you guys one thing that I dont like about the SMLE, is that is was so damn heavy, in many sources it was about 6-8 pnds thats BS, it was also a top heavy barrel that makes it difficult to keep a barrel still for a certain amount of time before your arm gets tired.
I'll solve that Hussar I bought my brother an SMLE as a present a few years ago so I can pop round and weigh it for you I have never found it nose heavy except with the eighteen inch bayonet attached.
I used to go to the gun smiths where he worked (Leech Sons Chelmsford, Essex. no longer in business) mainly it was tailor making the furniture and repairing of sporting weapons but they did maintain/repair collectors fire arms. To me the build quality (especially internally of the Enfield is what made it the superior bolt action rifle and for sniper work by the time it had been selected and set up by expert gunsmiths It was highly accurate, indeed the 1 mile club at Bisley is still using Enfields.
A tip that he told me that shows a high quality fire arm is that all the screw head slots should be aligned along the length of the gun this proves the tapping was hand done and as such can be used as a quick pointer to a craftsman made and maintained weapon.
(obviously military weapons are mass produced)

Semi-Automatic is not Full-Automatic, a weapon that does not need to be cocked per round is considered an Auto-matic, whether its a Full or Semi its auto, now this excludes Revolvers atleast as far as I know.

Look here. In a simple nutshell and in the parlance of rifles, when you say semi-automatic, it means one shot for each time you pull the trigger. If you say automatic, that means what you are calling fully automatic.

Now, it's a little different for pistols. While there are a few fully automatic pistols in existence, if you refer to a pistol as an automatic, that means semi-automatic.

General George Patton said it best. "The Garand is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

[QUOTE
Now, it's a little different for pistols. While there are a few fully automatic pistols in existence, if you refer to a pistol as an automatic, that means semi-automatic.[/QUOTE]

Then of course with pistols Jank we get into single, double action, toggle action, blowback action ect and wierdos like the Webley Fosbery automatic revolver which like the Colt 45, Luger ect as you quite rightly pointed out are not fully auto.

102first_hussars said:
Semi-Automatic is not Full-Automatic, a weapon that does not need to be cocked per round is considered an Auto-matic, whether its a Full or Semi its auto, now this excludes Revolvers atleast as far as I know.

Okay dude whatever, you can look at that way if you want. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying that depending on the definition it is something different.

I think the firepower the M-1 gave to the grunt was significant to the war effort. I was watching a show on medal of honor recipients and they were telling about one hero who was severely wounded while holding off a determined attack and was being carried back to the rear by some natives when a Japanese squad appeared. The guy, who was still carring his M-1, raised it up and rapid fired a clip in the direction of the Japanese squad and they fled. Nothing like firepower.

"Semi-Automatic is not Full-Automatic, a weapon that does not need to be cocked per round is considered an Auto-matic,"
2Thumbs.gif
Waahaha! 102first that sounds like one of those anti-gun fruits distorting reality though I know you didn't mean it to.
Grin-Nod.gif

M1 Garand in my opinion is the best. Like that was stated above of its fast rate of fire and powerful knockdown power using the 30-06 round. Very effective. The only draw back to the M1 is its loading system. My uncle who was in the National Guard in 1969 told me that if you didnt push the clip down fast enough with your thumb, it would clamp down on it.

Twitch said:
"Semi-Automatic is not Full-Automatic, a weapon that does not need to be cocked per round is considered an Auto-matic,"
2Thumbs.gif
Waahaha! 102first that sounds like one of those anti-gun fruits distorting reality though I know you didn't mean it to.
Grin-Nod.gif

What the heeeelll are you talking about, in what way did I sound like anti-gun tree hugger?

I know what he means. It's all to do with the Assault weapons Columbine thing.

If you call a weapon (rightly) semi-auto or single-shot, to the unknowing it conjures up images of old rifles.

Call it Auto, and the layperson thinks 'machinegun'.

You hold a petition banning 'autos' and people will think you mean machineguns (or cars :lol: ) and will sign more readily etc.

The same happened in the UK, with Dunblane.

schwarzpanzer said:
I know what he means. It's all to do with the Assault weapons Columbine thing.

If you call a weapon (rightly) semi-auto or single-shot, to the unknowing it conjures up images of old rifles.

Call it Auto, and the layperson thinks 'machinegun'.

You hold a petition banning 'autos' and people will think you mean machineguns (or cars :lol: ) and will sign more readily etc.

The same happened in the UK, with Dunblane.

Buddy you are talking nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back