Best tank killer aircraft of WW2 Part I

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a report on the P-38 from a commander (pilot) to his superiors on the problems of the plane in the ETO/MTO. The biggest problem he pointed out was the complexity of going from cruise mode (with tanks) to combat configuration. There were so many steps involved, many of them not physically easy to accomplish, that many pilots were shot down while trying to reconfigure the plane when the enemy appeared.

I'll try to find that report, i have it saves as an "offline favorite" I think, but its in an old version of Windows. I.e.: I'll need to setup to boot to another drive to retrieve it.

=S=

Lunatic

I think a major problem with the ealier P-38's that would present a problem in the ETO (even though it is not really a life threatening thing) was the fact that the engines were so far from the cockpit that the heating for the pilot sucked. Anyways I cant remember how we got on the topic of the P-38 as a tank killer, yes it could do it, but it was not really a tank killer.

Ok. Let me clear up several things.

The P-38Ls carried loads as high as 5,200lbs in combat (2 x 2000lb on the maing pylons and 4 x 300lb under the outer wings).

In addition to the Droop Snoot, there was a version of the P-38 developed with APS-15 "Mickey" BTO radar.

To the best of my knowledge, the Swordfish was never used to give areobatic demonstartions to other P-38 pilots. This would have been rather ill-advised since the Swordfish had considerably different flight characteristics from a standard P-38. It was described as being the best diving version.

The dive recovery flaps were used fairly often to tighten a turn. I am currently reading the history of the 475th FG and several pilots mentioned using the dive flaps in combat.

The P-38s were fairly effective as a tank buster and achieved some notable success in the MTO. Even though only the late versions of the P-38 had rockets, the standard firepower was sufficient to handle most German tanks from above and behind.

This I pretty much believed my self. As for the tank busting abilities I am not arguing that, I just trying to figure out where this all got started.

ummm...when ppl talk about tank busting, y did everyone just talk about fighter-bombers? cuz not just the fighter bombers are effetive tank-destorying aircraft...like the dive-bombers are really compareable to the fighter-bombers in this role(probably even better than it)

As I mentioned, the P-38 earned a formidable reputation in the MTO as a tank buster. I'm not sure dive-bombers were as effective as tank-buster as strafing fighters/attack planes. I know Rudel prefered to have dive bombers attack Russian AA guns to make the job of shooting up tanks easier for his Ju-87Gs.

Well I think that would be because most fighters could be configured to be fighter bombers and ground attack but tank busting is more of a mission. Many aircraft were used for tank busting duties, some were just better then others.

True. But personally, I would rather be in the fighter-bomber instead of the dedicated tank-buster as I would like to have a fighting chance if I was bounced.

but i think i'd rather have the pure tank buster, then atleast i've got a better chance of destrying the tank and it'll be easier, and if i get shot down, i'd hjave died gloriously on the battlefield for queen and country...........

I'd rather be flying something like the F4U-4 corsair. Very tough, very fast, and it can drop napalm on the tanks for nearly 100% effectiveness. Then I can get the hell out of there at 400+ mph, and if some enemy fighter is by some fluke able to intercept me, I have a decent chance of winning that fight too.

8)

Lunatic

the lancaster kicks ass said:
i'd feel more at home in a hurricane Mk.IID.............

At least you think you would. The fact is neither of us would "feel at home" in any of these planes

But seriously, to be effective the IID had to go down low and slow and attack the tank, exposing itself to enemy ground fire while doing so. And it was a sitting duck for almost any true German fighter.

With the F4U-4 however, you can carry two large napalm tanks, come in at high speed, and dump each one across multiple tanks, potentially killing more than one each attack, and at least one is almost a sure thing since you can miss by quite a bit and still get the tank. One 110-gallon napalm bomb would spread over a pear-shaped area about 85 meters long and about 25 meters wide. Much easier than trying to go down and gun it, and you probably get any supporting infantry or vehicles too! And when you're done, you're in a top rated fighter and can either strafe ground targets or engage in aerial combat.

Just my opinion of course.

=S=

Lunatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread