Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr said:
The C-47 is certainly a milestone aircraft and the most significant in terms of affecting world transportation. Being an old airlifter myself, I would have to vote for the C-47 and an honorable mention for the C-54 (I got to fly in an R5D when the Navy flew me to New Orleans for a flight physical), which took the C-47 a step up into the modern aircraft era and won the first cold war confrontation, the Berlin Airlift.

I was playing golf yesterday at Skylinks in Long Beach Ca., which is right beside the airport. A DC3 flew right overhead while landing. It must have been less that 200 feet above us. What a magnificent sight and sound. That plane has been around for 70+ years of the 103 years of heavier than air flight.

Were you a Naval Aviator? Les an I were both USN - He was a Seal, I was an Airdale....

FLYBOYJ said:

Eisenhower said it himself - the C-47 as one of the four machines that won World War II, along with the bulldozer, 6x6 truck, and the landing craft.

As the saying goes, "amatures discuss tactics, professionals discuss logistics"

FLYBOYJ said:
Were you a Naval Aviator? Les an I were both USN - He was a Seal, I was an Airdale....

I was accepted for both AF and Navy pilot training. But, because the Navy flight surgeon in New Orleans failed to sign my physical, which had to be re-accomplished, by the time I got my acceptance, I had already signed up to the AF (they only gave 5 days to agree). It worked out well since I got to fly a future classic, T-38, and a great plane, C-141, with a great mission. Since I was only in the top third of my pilot training class, I probably would have ended up in the Navy in helicopters or P-3s flying lazy circles in the sky. Also, met my wonderful wife at pilot training. Had I had the choice, I probably would have chosen the Navy since I grew up on the approach end of Sherman Field in Pensacola and cut my teeth on Naval aviation.

davparlr said:
I was accepted for both AF and Navy pilot training. But, because the Navy flight surgeon in New Orleans failed to sign my physical, which had to be re-accomplished, by the time I got my acceptance, I had already signed up to the AF (they only gave 5 days to agree). It worked out well since I got to fly a future classic, T-38, and a great plane, C-141, with a great mission. Since I was only in the top third of my pilot training class, I probably would have ended up in the Navy in helicopters or P-3s flying lazy circles in the sky. Also, met my wonderful wife at pilot training. Had I had the choice, I probably would have chosen the Navy since I grew up on the approach end of Sherman Field in Pensacola and cut my teeth on Naval aviation.
Great to hear! I'm an old P-3 guy, I worked for Lockheed and later was in the Reserve working on them. My father in law has a bunch of T-38 time, was an IP in the early 70s - he finished up on the B-1 at the factory...

Nonskimmer said:
P-3's...Ugghh. :rolleyes:

;)
:evil4:
sinking.jpg

FLYBOYJ said:
Great to hear! I'm an old P-3 guy, I worked for Lockheed and later was in the Reserve working on them. My father in law has a bunch of T-38 time, was an IP in the early 70s - he finished up on the B-1 at the factory...

P-3 a great old plane. like the C-130, its been hard to replace. Just not a great mission. I have visited a few P-3s bases in my 141, maybe you've been there. First theres a delightful island in the middle of the sea that has wonderful bread and perpetual crosswind and a base called Lajes. The second, there's an island in the sea that has an interesting history and a base that is all rock and always at minimums call Keflavik. Ever hear of those?

davparlr said:
P-3 a great old plane. like the C-130, its been hard to replace. Just not a great mission. I have visited a few P-3s bases in my 141, maybe you've been there. First theres a delightful island in the middle of the sea that has wonderful bread and perpetual crosswind and a base called Lajes. The second, there's an island in the sea that has an interesting history and a base that is all rock and always at minimums call Keflavik. Ever hear of those?

Oh yea - Heard of em, ever had to go to either one, I was a west coast sailor, VP-65 out of Point Mugu. We deployed to Hawaii, Guam, Corpus Christi, Kadena and Puerto Rico, all the hard places.

I seen the last 141s at March AFB, also seen one at Peterson....

flyboyJ. Nice duty posts. I have spent quite a few crew rests at Kadena. Ate Kobe beef off base. One of the worlds great meals. When I first started going there, they were driving on the right side of the road. Later, they were driving on the left. The US had just turned Okinawa over to Japan.

Never got off base at Keflavik. One of the problems with flying a 141, you got familar with a lot concrete around the world, but three hours and you are gone. I know an Icelandic girl here and she is very nice.

FLYBOYJ said:

The T-38 is great. I doubt you will find anyone who stick time in a T-38 that would say that it is not a fun airplane to fly. They have just put new wings on it and it is schedule to to fly till 2040. Chances are, when they replace her, the new plane will not be the performer that theT-38 is or be as fun to fly.

Name: Talon

Nickname: White Rocket

Speed: Mach 1.2

Roll Rate: 520 degrees/sec (if remember right)

Climb record: 0 to 40k in 90 sec.

Not a bad plane to train in!

T-38, my science teacher in school did his training time in them, has some greand stories of getting to low, distraced and then going to mach one and ratteling the windows. He ended up flying B-52s ;)

C-47s, what could they not do? wheels, skies, and floats :) I have to agree they were vital to the war, but what about the other transports? Ju-52, was like the C-47 used for everything and did everything well, but was to slow. A shame that Junkers could not improve it more.

C-141s are pritty. Sad they are retiered

JU52's are nowhere near the same league as the C47.

While the C46 and C54 were both better aircraft in terms of payload, it was the C47 that could land it on unimproved dirt fields that were "airfields" in name only.

In the PTO/CBI, the C47's were indispensible, often meaning the difference between the allies on the offense, or on static defense.

In the ETO, I doubt that the Normandy invasion would have gone off as planned without the C47's carrying the paratroopers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back