Bf-109 Tail Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

Tech Sergeant
Jun 10, 2007
Lancaster, California
Just thought about doing this today, so I just started. My main goal is to do a full scale rudder of a 109 in wood, but that is a little ways off. As of now, im going to start small. The tail you see is in 1/10 scale or around there. I will cut the tail out and sand it down to be smooth. I made the swastika just a tad big, and in turn had to move the elevator down just a bit. Other than that, I am happy how it is turning out so far. I will eventually paint it as well, but just don't know what aircraft I will base it off of. The tail is a Bf-109E....

I would like to get into making these and possibly sell them. But again that is down the road. View attachment 243254View attachment 243255

Neat project. Will you be making the full-sized one with a frame and fabric cover for the rudder?

For now, the plan is to do a full one carved out of wood, sanded down to the specs of a full size rudder. This one I am doing now is just a prototype to see how things go. This is my first time doing this, so I want to take it slow and learn.

View attachment 244344View attachment 244343

So I finally made some progress. I cut out the parts with a hand dremmel tool, then hand sanded and rounded the edges with sand paper. I put the rudder and elevator hinge line in with a wood burning tool. After that I glued the elevator on and put wood filler to fill in the gaps. will sand that down once it dries. After that, I plan on starting to paint it. the tail is a Bf-109E, but I don't want any hard scheme to start out with. Something somewhat simple. Any Ideas?

Good stuff, it looks the part. For a simple colour scheme, how about a typical BoB example? Fin and underside of the tail plane in light blue RLM 65, rudder in yellow RLM02, tops of tail plane and elevators in splinter of RLM04/RLM71.

Good stuff, it looks the part. For a simple color scheme, how about a typical BoB example? Fin and underside of the tail plane in light blue RLM 65, rudder in yellow RLM02, tops of tail plane and elevators in splinter of RLM04/RLM71.

That's kind of what I was thinking, a BoB scheme. I just need to find a good profile. I don't know if I want kill markings on it yet or not, will have to wait and see. But I am happy on how it is turning out so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back