Bf 109H?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heres some of the info on this bird from Jerry Crandells "yellow 10"
having trouble uploading the text :(

G10_1.gif

G10_2.gif

G10_3.gif

Thanks, pha3e! I still think they're the same plane. They look very similar.

Attachments

• G10_5.jpg
    G10_5.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 108
  • G10_2.jpg
    G10_2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 108
  • G10_1.jpg
    G10_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 116
  • bf109h.jpg
    bf109h.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
Maybe a Me109 G6 retrofited in G10 ?
It could explain the old tail wheel type.

This plane might have a DB605D in it. Compairing the photos here and the ones from the 109 lair, i think it matches up to a 605D. Which if it did, would indicate a late war ride, as in a G-10. I might be wrong as im still learning to tell the difference from one 109 model to the next. so bear with me if im wrong. Here is the link i used to compair the model engines.

The 109 Lair- The Online Source for Messerschmitt 109 information

Daniel, re the Bv 155 pic you posted, you're not too far off the mark!
The development of the Bf 109H was 'officially' abandoned after the Ta 152 won the contract for the High altitude interceptor. Messerschmitt continued to develop the idea however, resulting in the Me 155 design (not actually built as far as I know). Continuous problems with engine cooling arrangement, and emphasis on standard fighter production, led to them handing the design over to Blohm und Voss. The result was the Bv 155, of which 2 were completed and test flown, and a third about 75% completed by the time Allied troops overran the factory.

The Bv 155-V1 was destroyed, the V2 (in your photo) test flown by the British, and written off after an engine malfunction, and the third (the only survivor) now held in the States by the NASM at their Silver Hill facility.

Definetly G-10 with DB 605D engine (cold start device in upper position). Additional details: chin bulges on lower engine cover and raised filer for larger oil tank, deeper oil cooler.
If I remember correct, a short tailwheel leg indicates a WNF factory. Additional cover for commpressed air on the rear fuselage strongly suggest U4 variant with MK 108 cannon.

Perhaps this three-view would help to compare details?

G'day Grau (Dave?) A Frenchman by the name of Phillipe Ricco wrote an article for Airpower in 1995...

...and in it he claimed that with new information from Daimler Benz at hand, people like Green, Hitchcock and Nowarra had got it wrong and for the the first time with a "bit" of speculation and common sense this is how it (109H) would have looked. He was convinced that it would've had a Daimler Benz DB 628 engine and a narrow track undercarriage (based on the G model)...

Interesting Graeme...that goes against all the info I've found on the H. Does he specify on what information he based his surmise?

I still think she would have had the longer wings for better performance at high altitude, myself...

Graeme is right about this Me109H.
And it didn't goes against A4K's information, actually as far as I can remember two vertion of the 109H where build.

But to my mind this messerschmitt was build with a supplementary fuselage section with makes it longuer than usual messerschmitt.

when I'll get back home this weekend I'll send you an article extract from a french magazine about the Me109H and its diffrent vertion, it is in frenchbut if you whant I'll translate.

There is a picture of this Me actually the only one existing because of the IIIreich censure.

Definetly G-10 with DB 605D engine (cold start device in upper position). Additional details: chin bulges on lower engine cover and raised filer for larger oil tank, deeper oil cooler.
If I remember correct, a short tailwheel leg indicates a WNF factory. Additional cover for commpressed air on the rear fuselage strongly suggest U4 variant with MK 108 cannon.

I thought it was a G-10. I still dont see where u see the cover for the cmporessed air. I might not be looking hard enough.

for me its a G-10 "AS" with the DB605AS engine but maybe I'm wrong

As I said: definetly G-10 with DB 605D engine (cold start device in upper position).
In fact there were not a G-10/AS designation. It was introduced by researchers many years ago for G-10 from Erla works without chin bulges and witout rounded fairing on the left side.
Anyway DB 605 A and AS engines had cold start device on lower position.

Beaupower, follow the red arrow:
bf109g10_u4.jpg

Graeme, I just read that article last week!!!! I'll see if I can post some more pics. Apparently he modelled a Bf 109 as a guesstimate of what it would look like.

and thanks everybody for answering this question about my dad's pic!

Net Sailor, I know that it was introduced by researchers many years ago that's why I wrote G-10 "AS". ;)

don't worry there is no problem my friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back