Bill Runnels passed away

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have several conversations with Bill through the inbox and he was indeed a wonderful man. My condolences to your family.

There's not much else to add about Bill Runnel's stature and transcendence in his life and beyond it.

A Hero who, among one of the greatest generations the world has ever known, embarked on a perilous journey more than seventy years ago to safeguard those defenseless in the face of a murderous tyranny; a journey from which so many did not return and were not able to see the fruits of their paramount sacrifices.

Tonight, with a heavy heart I mourn the departure of a foregone warrior with a heart of gold and I, we all celebrate the life of a man who is and will always be the embodiment of the very best that humankind can achieve.

Rest in peace Bill Runnels, I had the tremendous privilege of calling you a friend in life and will always do so as long as I live and treasure the memory of our short but memorable acquaintance.

Tailwinds on your back and blue skies ahead of you, forever.

Very sad to read this. Bill lived not far from me and we had talked about getting together for a cup of coffee, but my busy life kept me from following through. A missed opportunity to learn at the knee of a great American hero.
ATTEN-SHUN!
HALF RIGHT - FACE!
PORT - ARMS!
READY - FIRE!
READY - FIRE!
READY - FIRE!
RIGHT SHOULDER - ARMS!
READY - FRONT!
PRESENT - ARMS!

The only words I can think of.....

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.

Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace, where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

I am sorry to hear of his passing we exchanged some emails via the forum him and my father were not that far from each other.:pilotsalute:

Sad news indeed.
I knew Bill well for years from the old AAF forum. Rest in peace Bill, soar with the eagles.

My most sincere condolences to Bill's family.

Scott Muselin

Bill's obit is here:

Obituary for Billy Lee Runnels at White Funeral Home - Farmington

Sadly the author omitted Bill's connection to the USAAF.

Bill's findagrave memorial page is here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/194081102/billy-lee-runnels

Have added data links, photos and other content aimed to correct the USAAF service omissions in his obit.

2Lt Billy L. Runnels.jpg
Billy Lee Runnels; 21 April 1925 - 16 October 2018 - edit 2.jpg

Very sad indeed! Condolences to the family. "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"

Joseph Campbell, American scholar and author
"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."

The world is a better place because of people like your father, and the world could do with more people like him today. It's been a joy interacting with him in the forum.

This is the music I always think of at times like this. Fanfare for the Common Man, for he is anything but common.

Fanfare for the common man

Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division
A very apt choice of music

This news is very sad. I am not ashamed to say that it makes me cry. I think of my own father , 95 years, and finally fading and how much I will miss him.

I had several conversation with Bill. I came away from all of them positive and knowledgeable. You could not ask for more.

I salute you Mr Runnels. I will miss you

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

RIP Bill, you've earned eternal peace through a life exemplarily lived. Thank you for the all too short time you have shared with us and the wisdom and insights you have graced us with. You will be missed, but never forgotten. Fair winds and following seas, shipmate.
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back