Board wargames?

Discussion in 'OFF-Topic / Misc.' started by BombTaxi, May 18, 2009.

1. BombTaxi

BombTaxi Active Member

Just a random thought that popped into my head - does anyone here play board wargames? I have a small collection of Avalanche Press games, naval games are my favorite but I have land-based ones covering several eras as well.

So, does anyone play them , and if so, what do you play :?:

2. parsifal

parsifal Well-Known Member

Urban Design/Strategic Studies Tutor
    I play design nd review games as a second job. Currently working for L-2 on their new Victory at Sea Games, which will be a combination of VITP and WAS. Helping with the playtesting and rules reviews.

I usually work with ADG (Australian Design Group) which was responsible for WIF (World In Flames). A number of others from that group and myself are playtesting a successor to WIF. Covers the whole of the war at Corps/Div level, individual ships down to cruiser, with two ship counters for destroyers and four ship and ten ship for smaller warships. weekly GTs, takes about a year to play. I would rate it as a mid sized game with 6500 counters and 8 maps

Small games I really like the "A House Divided". Have played Campaign For North Africa (a monster, but very satisfying" as well as Atlantic Wall

3. parsifal

some exaples of the plane and ship counters for our experimental WWII game

Attached Files:

4. Amsel

Amsel Active Member

I have never been into board games. I just don't know too much about them. What game is the best strategy game for naval warfare?

5. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    Wow, this beings back memories. I used to play a lot of Avalon Hill board games, Squad Leader being one of the biggest. They also had Richthofen's War (WWI Air Combat) , a WWII Air Combat, War at Sea (Atlantic Naval), and Victory in the Pacific (Pacific Naval).

The computer and PS2 have really spoiled me now a days, but I have to admit they were a lot of fun.

6. HoHun

HoHun Active Member

7. parsifal

I forgot aboiut that earlier thread. It would be great to reatart the discussion I think

8. BombTaxi

BombTaxi Active Member

Parsifal,

Very cool, that is a great second job to have 8) I must confess that I have never played the classics, other than Risk, which was a bit of a ritual with my university housemates, but was renowned for becoming rather heated when things got tough :lol: I used to play quite a lot of chess when I was young, although I wasn't much good. My grandfather taught me and he was very good, so I didn't win much!

Most of the Avalanche games I own are more tactical than strategic, although I have a corps-level simulation of the Battle of Verdun, and two WWI naval games which manage to combine strategic and tactical command into one game. Other than that, I have a tactical sim of the Eastern front in the last year of WWII and a game on Constantine's wars against the Germans and Persians. I'm not really sure what scale you would call it - each counter equates to an infantry regiment I think?

I also play Steel Panthers MBT and WW2 on PC, although again I consider these to be tactical rather than strategic.

9. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
    Only boardgame I ever played was "Dogfight" years ago as a kid. Still have the game, sitting in my room at the moment. But nothing like the strategy games you guys are talking about. Any similar to D&D?

Attached Files:

10. Thorlifter

Thorlifter Well-Known Member

IT Mgr
    I played some of the Milton Bradley games like Axis and Allies, Broadsides and Boarding Parties, and Shogun. there is another one, but I can't remember the name of it.

11. Marcel

Marcel Well-Known Member

Bioinformatician
    Played Axis and Allies miniatures. Really great game.

12. BombTaxi

BombTaxi Active Member

I must confess I played Games Workshop's miniatures-based systems as a kid - mainly Epic, WH40K and Space Hulk. I grew out of the hobby though, partly because I discovered alcohol and females, and partly because the games and miniatures became insanely expensive. Having said that, I still buy paints from GWs Citadel line for some of my modeling needs - but they are about twice the price of any other manufacturers products.

The first map and counter based wargame I ever played was based on Arnhem, I cant remeber the name now or who published it, I then forgot about the hobby until a few years back when I stumbled across the Avalanche Press website and bought a game on Plan Gold, the US Rainbow Plan to fight the French in the Carribean. That soon got me hooked again!