Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, do enjoy your break mate, and very nice progress here so far!

Btw, Ill be in Co.Westmeath for a week late August - maybe we can catch up for a pint and a yarn

Well, I'm slowly getting back into this build after nearly a four week break - not all holiday, some catching up on domestic matters was also required when we got back. I have given the undersides a coat of Medium Sea Grey - a mixture of Tamiya Grey acrylics to match what references I have.

I had started to mask for the upper surfaces before I remembered to take a photo. The masking is virtually finished now and the next stage is to spray the Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green upper surfaces. As you can see, I cut an ammo hatch under the port wing (A). As the plastic here is about 2-3mm thick, I need to build a thinner door for this There is still masking tape in the radiator wells (B), protecting interior Grey/Green and also in the oleo tunnels. The underwing decals are going to be interesting, as you can see there are numerous holes and bumps where they sit and it will be interesting to see if they settle neatly. Otherwise it may have to be a paint job which I would not be looking forward to!

I'll post a further update when I get the camouflage colours on. P.S. Terry, I did need those sunglasses!!

Gerry

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for your kind comments. I think I made a mistake in my painting sequencing, though. I had masked and sprayed the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey pattern and was going to paint the Sky fuselage band and the yellow leading edges around the gun ports. On mature reflection, it probably would be easier to have done those first and masked them before applying the camouflage. I found that I've had to virtually remask the aircraft just to make sure that there's no overspray. I've lost about two days because of this. Here's where we are to date.

The masks were paper masks held slightly off the surface. When removing them I loosened the engine cowl which needs to be stuck back. There was a little bit of sanding required at the rear fuselage, which needs retouching and I'm hoping weathering and fading will blend the colours a little more on the finished job. The next stage is to add the painting as detailed above.

More when that's done.

Attachments

• Spitfire camouflaged.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 117
This has become more of a 'start/stop' build than I originally thought. However, I'm back at it again and just thought I'd better post an update, otherwise I'm going to fall way behind the Spitfires still being built in the last Group Build. The aircraft is still in it's matt grey/green camouflage pattern but now has the yellow leading edges added and the sky band was masked and painted on the fuselage.

Pictures 1 2. The underwing radiators have been added now and detail of the painted leading edge.

Picture 3. I scratch-built an ammo hatch from plastic card and strip. It needs a finished layer of paint. It will be eventually posed in a hanging down position.

Pictures 4, 5 6. The topside with details of the leading edge and the Sky fuselage band. The Sky is Tamaya Sky lightened with a little Tamiya White.

Picture 7. This is where I am with the landing gear at the moment. The covers have been added, Holes drilled and brakelines made from thin wire have been added.

Pictures 8 9. The spinner has been assembled and painted. This is resin from Grey Matter Figures, as the kit only included the earlier de Havilland propeller. I ended up using only the spinner and blades from the resin kit as the backplate and integrated propeller boss was very crudely cast and also was smaller in diameter than the spinner (picture 9). The blades also didn't fit into the locating holes in the boss. I used the backplate and boss from the kit and sat the blades in position on the boss rather than in it. This caused problems with the blade pitch and spacings which were positioned from photographic refs and the aid of a protractor! I think I got it about right.

Pictures 10 11. A couple of shots of the prop loosely placed in position, just to check it out.

No weathering, apart from a little on the landing gear, has been applied yet. I think the next stage will be to give it a couple of coats of Klear to prepare for the decals and take it on from there.

Thanks for looking,

Gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread