Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, here we are with a start on the decals. I've used both the kit decals and an Xtradecal set for LO-W, Finucane's aircraft with 602 Squadron. I've got the main decals done for the top surface but haven't started on the (many) stencils. I have applied the underwing roundels but am waiting for them to settle around some major bumps before photographing them. They will need some cutting and touching up, I expect. Lots of Decal Set has been applied. Most of the RAF roundels are from the kit, with the exception of the fuselage roundels which are more accurate in proportion from the Xtradecal sheet.

I'm now waiting for the decals to fully cure before attempting to cut them where I intend having open hatches etc. There is still Decal Fix and Decal Set residue on the surfaces, which will eventually be removed before a sealing coat of Klear is applied. Here's the work so far.

Topdecals.jpg

Portdecals1.jpg

Portdecals2.jpg

SBoarddecals.jpg

Two questions which have arisen that I could do with some help with are, 1. The Xtradecals for 602 Squadron include a crest of a red lion rampant against a white shield. I have also seen this depicted as a yellow shield. Anyone any idea which is correct in this instance? 2. Should the aircraft code 'W' appear under the front engine cowling at this stage, 1942? I'd appreciate any clarification and I'll post more shots as work progresses.

Cheers,

Gerry

It's looking very good Gerry. Far as I know, the Lion rampant should be on a yellow background, it being based on the City of Glasgow crest. Not sure if the individual code letter would be repeated under the nose - although a common practice, it seems to be more of unit preference, rather than an 'official' marking, and was to aid ground crews in recognising 'their' charge when taxying.

Thanks Guys.

Terry, thanks for your opinion. I thought that it might be yellow, as I have seen a profile of Clostermann's Spitfire in 1944, with the yellow shield. I was also confused by the fact that the official RAF Squadron badge has the red lion against a white background. As regards the 'W', I'll search some photos of 602 Sqn. aircraft of the period and see if I can identify whether they used the initial under the nose.

Cheers,

Gerry

There's a very good chance the code letter was repeated under the nose Gerry. I've seen photos (of different squadrons) where some aircraft have it, and others don't - this is very possibly/probably due to replacement aircraft not having the letter painted at the time of the photo.
As for the white background to the Squadron crest, there's a simple answer - the crest was an official insignia, only authorised and granted by the Monarch, and designed by the College of Arms, to 'standard' rules of Heraldry. The background, known as the 'Field', is an 'official' colour, standardised throughout the British military, therefore all squadron Crests (RAF, AAC and RN) would have a white 'Field', even if the main subject is based on an existing crest or badge, in this case, that of the City of Glasgow.
The shield on the aircraft was based on the Squadron Crest, but was itself a variation of the Glasgow crest, using the original colours.
Hope that makes sense!

Thanks again, Terry, Jerry, Andy, plheur2 and Igor for your help and comments.

I have basically finished the stenciling and decals with the exception of the 'Lion Rampant' crest which I need to draw up and print off as a home printed decals. After these photos were taken I sprayed a protective coat of Klear, which I will leave overnight to cure. Hopefully I can then start the final assembly and begin the weathering process sometime this week.

Pictures 1, 2 3. I managed to get the underwing roundels in position over the various vents, with some success, after a lot of coaxing and teasing with decal solvent. There were some small splits and tears which were touched-up with white and red paint. After some weathering, they should look OK.

Undersurfacedecals.jpg

SBoardunderwing.jpg

Portunderwing.jpg

Pictures 4 5. The top surface decals have been applied and the hatches eased off again (with some difficulty). This is now the jigsaw that remains to be assembled. I had made the gun patches from red insulation tape, thinking these would be more flexible than the appropriate decals. Having seen them in blow-up however, I think they look too thick so I think I'll have to revert to the decals.

Topdecals-1.jpg

Decaltopfront.jpg

Pictures 6, 7 8. Some detail shots of the port hatches and the port and starboard undercarriages. The tyres are rubber(?) and have been aged by sanding and some earth staining. Hatch 'A' is a port underwing ammunition hatch, which will be hung open.

Decalhatchesport.jpg

Portuc.jpg

SBoarduc.jpg

Photo 9. The starboard wing hatches and fuselage side. The red flare chute cover needs to be replaced with decal paper.

Decalsport.jpg

That's it for now, except I have just discovered a problem a couple of days ago. I noticed that the wheels in the photo below are nothing like the 5 cavity wheels that comes with the kit. Despite some searching on the internet I haven't been able to find them on any other Spitfire. Terry, perhaps you could throw some light on what they are and what Mk. they might come from? If they are available as resin I will replace the kit wheels, but for the time being, I will proceed with the kit wheels for the build. These are tight enough to fit over the axels without using glue and could be removed later, if necessary.

LO-WS-BOARDcopy.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Hm. first thought on the wheels is that they are the normal covers, over the spoked wheels, fairly common on some Spits - in Europe, mainly used in wet weather/winter, and as a virtually standard fit in the tropics. However, the 'depth' between tyre and rim looks slightly odd at first glance, but I think this is just the angle of the light.
For the gun port patches, the tissue which covers many decal sheets from kits, is ideal for making the patches. Attach with PVA, or even poly cement, depress slightly into the gun port, then paint. If you want them 'shot through' then, when fully dry, prick a hole with a pin, roughen the edges, and add smoke staining.
Good work getting the decals to conform over the gun heating vents, it's looking the biz.

They almost look like Bf-109 Wheels :D

Shes fantastic :) I love the detail with all the stenciling, just a quick question when you patch up decals with paint, do you brush it on and then lightly sand ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back