Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bristol BEAUFORT Mk Vlll torpedo/anti shipping a/c (Image RAF Hendon museum)View attachment 511213
Just watch the video i posted please. Im not making this stuff up you know.
And your pic looks a little bit like a RAF Martin A-30 Baltimore to me......
Not saying for sure it is, but it's uncanny in its likeness: See below
View attachment 511216

I'm fully aware that the Beaufort carried torpedoes on anti-shipping sorties but you stated "The anti shipping/torpedo version [of the Beaufighter] was called the Beaufort...." That is an incorrect statement because the Beaufighter/Torbeau could also carry torpedoes as illustrated below:

Bristol_Beaufighter_Mk_VIC_torpedo_strike_fighter_EL223G.jpg

While the Beaufighter used some components from the Beaufort (some wing components etc), it was an entirely different design.

(Source: World War Two Photos website)

They actually built hundreds of Beaufighters in Australia. They tried R-2600's in one but decided to stick with the Herc. The RAAF got 54 IC aircraft in 1941-1942. The first one built in Australia, a Mk 21, flew in May 1944.

It appears that the I and II had no capability to carry bombs, but the the VI began production in late 1941 with bomb carrying capability. Work on the use of torpedoes for the VI did not begun until March 1942 and first successful use was in April 1943.

I heard the Merlin Beau's were not a success and only flew prototype flights, not combat missions.

What?! Beaufighter NF.IIs definitely saw combat operations. From mid 1941 they were in service in night fighter squadrons. They did have terrible handling issues on the ground and ground loops were common.

The anti shipping/torpedo version was called the Beaufort.

The Beaufort and Beaufighter were two different aeroplanes. In theory the Beaufighter was intended in being a heavy fighter variant of the Beaufort - the Beaufort fighter as it were, but in reality they had very little in common structurally. Torpedo armed Beaufighters were used by Coastal Command units during the later war years, as by that time the Beaufort had been retired as a front line torpedo bomber.

Beaufort:

30042891917_250fbda74f_b.jpg
Beaufort

Beaufighter:

44260050254_430b691b5f_b.jpg
RD253

Both at the RAF Museum at Hendon.

So Australia in a Beaufighter was one of the first allied aircraft to hit the Japanese in the PTO.

I doubt it. The first RAAF unit to operate Beaufighters in the Pacific (British built ones, the first Australian built Beaufighter didn't fly until 1944) was 30 Sqn RAAF and it carried out its first operational sorties on the type in September 1942.

Again, Tagas, ya need to hit the library.

The Beaufort and Beaufighter are not the same aircraft under differing names .
The Bristol design team submitted an idea for a 'stop gap' fighter, loosely based on some Beaufort components (wing, tail unit and undercart), in order to save production time and costs, which was accepted by the Air Staff.
There was not a name change because the Beaufort "wasn't a very good aircraft" - they were two different types, designed for specifically different roles, with both types being successful in these roles, albeit the earlier Beaufort became obsolete, whilst the Beaufighter went on to enjoy success as night fighter, intruder, attack aircraft, torpedo attack aircraft and maritime strike aircraft, to the end of WW2, eventually ending its service life in such roles as trainer and target tug.

" Plus the name change was a factor also because it was found the Beaufort wasn't a very good aircraft......" is what you posted.
And yes, this is a very friendly site, but posting poorly researched and presented b*ll*cks, which, in due course, could be taken by the less informed reader to be fact and therefore perpetuate false information as 'history' at some future date, is more than likely to generate similar responses.
Get the facts right, and present them in a less opinionated 'know it all' manner, and perhaps members will be more appreciative.
And it appears that you are the one who doesn't like to be contradicted, when members have pointed out, in a respectful and 'easy' manner, the errors in your various threads.

Smokey, each person is only allowed one account. Your original account was banned for obvious reasons.

I recommend you contact the forum staff, especially a certain one, and request your old account be turned back on. We are not above second chances here, but you might want to follow the advice of some of the members here.

"Time to take off the mask and see who it is..."
Shocked gasp:eek:
" I would have gotten away with it if it won't for you meddling kids!":mad:

What a friendly site this is. Agree or say nothing and all is well. Disagree or give an alternative opinion and everyone loses their minds... Damn.

Mate, no one is giving you a hard time for not agreeing with them. We all disagree often, but you are making ridiculous statements that are entirely without foundation, then being obtuse in your defence of what you've said when your error has been pointed out to you.

And please, do a little research before commenting on things that you are unfamiliar with. We all make mistakes, and when we do, by and large, we admit to it.

Bristol Beaufighter Mark VIC, JL447 'G', of No. 248 Squadron RAF based at Predannack, Cornwall, flying past offshore islands in Western Approaches, at the start of a long-range fighter patrol ('Instep') in the Bay of Biscay with two other aircraft of the Squadron. Shortly after 11.30 am, they intercepted four Junkers Ju 88s of 14/KG 40 over the Bay and in the ensuing dogfight, JL447, flown by Sergeants J Bell (pilot) and A W Parnell, and another Beaufighter (EL321 'M') were lost with their crews, as were two Ju 88s.
Bristol_Beaufighter+.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back