Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NOt your normal Beaufighter picture, but this was my Birthday present from my son and my brother
P1010139.JPGP1010142.JPG

A number of experimental versions were produced during the War, including two examples R2274 and R2306 fitted with a four-gun turret immediately behind the pilot's cockpit.

This was an attempt to fulfil a night fighter spec that requested a turret armed two seat night fighter, F.18/40 and was designed as a replacement for the Defiant, but the Beau V was found to be slower than the Defiant it was mean't to replace and plans for production in August 1941 were canned. The aircraft were assigned to 406 Sqn and were flown by Wg Cdr Douglas 'Zulu' Morris on night fighter patrols but no kills were made.

F.18/40 and its turret armed night fighters went unfulfilled because of the night fighter Mosquito, which promissed heavy armament and good performance - and then delivered.

The Beaufighter was interesting as a design: It was actually quite maneuverable for its size: It looked like a bit of a clunk, but it had agility similar to fighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back