Britons love their cuppa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mhuhahaha, The Country with the alledged highest sheep density on earth per person; so an Auzzy friend over here has told me anyhow, and thats encompasses both sexes!
Lesbianicalbeastophilies methinks are rarer than rocking horse poo...

to be unbiased...
sheep.jpg

gives a new slant to the saying "...going to the barbers for a quick trim and _."
stick.jpg

ddb7347f-de7f-4be2-809a-fa09ca7d2dbd.jpg

..and it may say NZ, but the phone box is a traditional/old British as is the mini post box...
KIWI.jpg

..last but not least, revenge!
sheep_wideweb__470x309,0.jpg

on topic-ish...
005.jpg

header.jpg

Last edited:
British tank designers took tea seriously enogh to install a boiling vessell in our tanks so that the lads couls have a brew when buttoned up!
Jolly good show!

Also, to complete your English Education a Brass Monkey is that plate under the stack of 30 iron cannon balls. Brass contracts a great deal in cold weather, much more so than iron. Thus in cold weather the brass monkey would contract making the indentations smaller and smaller until the cannon balls would simply roll off, i.e. Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

Attachments

• BrassMonkey01a.jpg
    BrassMonkey01a.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 68
Liber Cure Cocorum dating from around 1430 in Lancashire, North West England.

For hagese'.
Þe hert of schepe, þe nere þou take,
Þo bowel noght þou shalle forsake,
On þe turbilen made, and boyled wele,
Hacke alle togeder with gode persole,

As part of a traditional Burns Supper with NEEPS and TATTIES (turnips and Potatoes)
or the yellow turnip (Rutabaga)

Last edited:
For those of you unfamiliar with the English that Henry VI would have recognised.

The heart of sheep, the kidneys you take,
The bowel naught you shall forsake,
In the vortex made, and boiled well,
Hack all together with good parsley

And if you want to complete the recipe.

Hyssop, savory, you shall take then,
And suet of sheep take in, I teach,
With powder of pepper and eggs good quantity,
And seethe it well and serve it then,
Look it is salted for good men.
In winter time when herbs are good,
Take powder of them I know indeed,
As savory, mint and thyme, quite good,
Hyssop and sage I know by the Rood.

Based on Richard Morris' transcription of 1862.

Sounds delicious!

Steve

Last edited:
Had it many years ago in London. It is best not to know the ingredents but it has a nutty texture and a rich savory taste

vulzari, How about some French "gastronomic treats"
1. Joues de Boeuf Bourguignonne. 2. Les Oous d'oie Fareis a la Gascone 3. Boucherie Chevaline 4. La Pereau de Garenne a la Braconneire 5. Cocotie de Poulpes aux Oignons and 5. Salade de museau. To name a few

There's no beef in traditional haggis,the meaty part is sheep's "pluck" or offal,heart, liver and lungs. I doubt that's the reason.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for Brass Monkeys find Mike, it does make sence that way too. ...also explains why not many over 'ere (myself included 'til now) can't remember where its from - the age of sails and 'privateers'. Suppose the rolling around of balls can be a temp gauge of sorts when a chill night wind subdues the gundeck's heatsoak sweat of the day when in the Carrib - or something like that anyway.

Last edited:
I once met Canadian haggis smuggler (no really) who said banning in USA was something to do with the lungs. I think I have covered most haggis matters on previous posts elsewhere including finding tinned haggis for sale in a local shop here in rural France. The French have their own version of the haggis hunting story. Can I recommend ragondin burgers and my wife does excellent dry curried ragondin legs.

My wife is also very fond of duck giblets and what is wrong with horse butchers mikewint? It used to be my uncle's birthday treat as a boy. He also told me that cat tastes like chicken and dog like beef, but that was in a concentration camp to be fair. Moral of the tale is don't send your guard dogs in to roam free in a camp full of hungry people at night.

Useless factoid: horse was made officially unfit for human consumption in UK to stop horses being stolen for meat. Somewhat tricky to identify your stolen horse when it is in kit form. Modern car thieves use a similar principle I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back