Britons love their cuppa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There would seem to be a failure to plan for the post nuclear shortage of digestive biscuits to go with the tea.

Now I want faggots, chips, mushy peas, gravy and brown sauce. Never mind, it's fruit de mer night at my local eatery next week. Bulots anyone? Ragondin casserole tomorrow.

Marmite and vegemite are different, one is based on yeast and the other a by-product of sump oil and isopropyl alcohol...

Awful stuff.

Marmite and vegemite are different, one is based on yeast and the other a by-product of sump oil and isopropyl alcohol...

Awful stuff.

Not quite true old bean :)

They are different but both are yeast extracts and a by product of something dear to both we Brits and our Aussie cousins,the brewing of beer. I have both in my cupboard but Marmite edges it for me,it has a stronger flavour.

Even the advertising men for Marmite latched onto the "Love it or hate it" aspect of the stuff. There is no middle ground with these things.

Marmite makes a good emergency liquid mask but of course the paint ruins the flavour so you can't lick it off!

Just gonna watch the All Blacks try and squeek another one over the Irish with a nice cuppa and some Marmite toast. I hope noone drops a thermo-nuclear device and ruins my brekky.

Cheers
Steve

Edit. Those dastardly men in black managed to just about scrape home..........60-0.....I actually felt sorry for the Irish.

Last edited:
Not quite true old bean

Okay, you're right there Steve, they are both by products of sump oil and isopropyl alcohol! My daughter loves marmite on toast and on cruskits; bleuch!

I'm glad that no nuke went off and spoiled your cuppa and marmite toast, or your rugby viewing. I saw a bit of it on my break at work. Yep; poor Irish.

Interesting you should mention the nuke thing, here in NZ we are commemmorating/commiserating (depending on what your political leanings are) 25 years of New Zealand's nuclear free policy.

There would seem to be a failure to plan for the post nuclear shortage of digestive biscuits to go with the tea.

Digestives? Those are for the proletariat! Rich Tea or Custard Creams if you don't mind!!!

Now I want faggots.

That's a personal problem - I'd see a doctor if I were you!

I'm with you on the brown sauce though - I have an illicit trade in HP sauce via friends and relatives who visit from Blighty - we can get it here but it's blessed expensive and they only stock the small glass bottles which, frankly, only last me about 2.5 breakfasts.

I confess I was once a Marmite smuggler and I did meet a Canadian who smuggled haggis (haggae, haggises?) across the border into USA. Marvel of marvels a local shop here recently stocked tinned haggis! Explaining what a haggis is to a neighbour was nearly as bad as explaining brass monkey weather.

bad as explaining brass monkey weather.

Yep,I can hear that conversation,"first,it has got nothing to do with monkeys or any other primates,metallic or otherwise......" :)

I've managed to freak out visitors from the US of A with Branston Pickle too. I think you have to grow up with these things!

Cheers

Steve

Yep,I can hear that conversation,"first,it has got nothing to do with monkeys or any other primates,metallic or otherwise......" :)

I've managed to freak out visitors from the US of A with Branston Pickle too. I think you have to grow up with these things!

Cheers

Steve

Ah yes Rutabaga

Ah yes Rutabaga

Do you know I had no idea that was in Branston Pickle! Actually I've no idea at all what is in it which may not be a bad thing.

I do like mashed carrot and swede though. Our Scottish neighbours are quite partial to their "neeps and tatties" too :)

Cheers
Steve

Explaining what a haggis is to a neighbour was nearly as bad as explaining brass monkey weather.

When I used to live in Edinburgh I used to know this bloke who took tours round the highlands in the back of a van and he'd stop at places for a bit of haggis, neeps and tatties; the foreign types who used to go on these tours were told that haggi (yep, got me that one) were a three legged creature that walked around the hills in one direction only and to catch them, all you needed to do was force them to turn round, at which point they'd fall over and roll down the hill. Needless to say, it convinced the tour parties for about a minute... :D

Let's also not forget that Scotting winter favourite that can be found being served at football matches across the land; Bovril!

I know what Branston pickle is, but Rutabaga?

I know what Branston pickle is, but Rutabaga?

A family of root vegetables,turnips,swedes and the like.

I've just had a look at a handy jar of Branston and the ingredients make for an interesting read!

Carrots,Rutabaga,Onions,Cauliflower,Marrows,Gherkins,Sugar,Malt Vinegar,Spirit Vinegar,Salt,Chopped Dates,Apples,Modified Maize Starch,Tomato Paste,Sulphite Ammonia Caramel,Concentrated Lemon Juice,Onion Powder,Garlic Extract.
Sounds delicious!

Bovril is not for me and is beef extract. Marmite and Vegemite are both vegetarian friendly.

Cheers
Steve

The great cold weather naval drink of hot bovril and sherry.

As I understand it haggae come in two versions. Short left legs and short right legs. They cannot interbreed as one of them will roll down the hill if they face the same way. You can hunt them in pairs. One to scare them so they turn round to run away and the other to catch them as they roll down the hill.

Or Finnish 'Maami' fremented some thing as a pudding or soft whipped mousse-cake.

MMMmmmmm marmite its spanking lovely, pefect for teething toddlers too; its sticky, tastes strong and love it or hate it, it makes em' forget their gums thats - how I got hooked, and its cheaper than Maple Syrup, although not by much as you'd think over 'ere.

Is there any truth to Dog or Cat food having to be of a basic enough quality for human consumption post nuke apocolyspe, due to the numbers of canine or/ feline lovers, or is that just a rumour since Mad Max?
...minddue, I think it would take just such an apolcolyspe to try and eat some - unless aliens (not the immigrant non-americans kind) turn up over Cape Town.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back