Britons love their cuppa (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There's no beef in traditional haggis,the meaty part is sheep's "pluck" or offal,heart, liver and lungs. I doubt that's the reason.
Cheers
Steve

From the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

Since 1971 it has been illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10 to 15% of the traditional recipe.[15] The situation was further complicated in 1989 when all UK beef and lamb was banned from importation to the US due to the BSE crisis.[15] In 2010 a spokeswoman for the US Department of Agriculture stated that they were reviewing the ban on beef and lamb products, but the ban on food containing sheep lung will remain in force.

See? I wasn't mad!! MOOOOOOOO!!!!!:crazyeyes:

To each his own. While imported haggis is banned we do have sheep in the US and the recipe is no secret.
Vulzari, I have always said that when it comes to native foods, the less authentic the better.
How about two more of my favorite "treats", from Sardinia and Indonesia/Vietnam (drank this in Vietnam)
Maggot Cheese or casu marzu is created by leaving whole Pecorino cheeses outside with part of the rind removed to allow the eggs of the cheese fly to be laid in the cheese. The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eat through the cheese. The acid from the maggots' digestive system breaks down the cheese's fats, making the texture of the cheese very soft; by the time it is ready for consumption, a typical maggot cheese will contain thousands of these maggots.
Casu marzu is considered to be unsafe to eat when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten. Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 cm (6 in) diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping. Those who do not wish to eat live maggots place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten.

Poop Coffee or Kopi (coffee) Luwak [civet (wild cat)] In the 1830s, in Indonesia, the Dutch prohibited the native farmers and plantation workers from picking coffee fruits for their own use. Soon, the natives learned that certain species of Asian Palm Civet consumed the coffee fruits, yet they left the coffee seeds undigested in their poop. The natives collected this cat poop, cleaned, roasted and ground the beans to make their own coffee beverage.
In the US, civet coffee, sells for between $100 to $600 per pound. A Vietnamese variety Weasel Coffee sells for $3,000 per pound. Some shops sell a cup for $30 to $80 per cup

If you guys want to insult the Mods, talk politics and insult other forum members, I suggest you do it in this thread... as I'm outta here and have no intention of trolling this thread further.

Now excuse me. As I have to puke.

Wow, I hardly even tried. Weasel Coffee is excellent, though I admit I drank my first few cups before anyone told me the entrie story.
Let's fire another shot across Matt's bow in case he's still lurking.
Another Vietnamese treat BALUT is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies in Cambodia, and Vietnam. Balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night They are often served with beer. First you choose what kind you want, the vendor grabs them piping hot from the basket and passes you a little stool, salt, and a vinegar-onion sauce. You hold the hot egg and flick carefully but at the top of it with your middle finger. It cracks a bit and you gently remove a small hole from the top, so you can sip the savory broth before removing the whole shell. The 18-day is the best rather than the younger ones. You might come across some small chunkies but it's usually just eaten all the way through, in about 3 mouthful bites. You can see feathers, head, wings, and skeleton forming, but it's basically an extra-chewy Easter egg.

Last edited:
Another Vietnamese treat BALUT is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies in Cambodia, and Vietnam. Balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night They are often served with beer.

Hmmm...serving it in the dark with copious quantities of beer (say 10 or 12 pints) is about the only way you'd get me to try that!:tongue6:

That said, I once was invited to a sheep's head party in Norway which, as its name suggests, involves the consumption of...you guessed it...a sheep's head, roasted-for the use of. Well, actually it was half a sheep's head split vertically with eyeball and teeth intact. Yum!:dead:

Wow, I hardly even tried. Weasel Coffee is excellent, though I admit I drank my first few cups before anyone told me the entrie story.
Let's fire another shot across Matt's bow in case he's still lurking.
Another Vietnamese treat BALUT is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies in Cambodia, and Vietnam. Balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night They are often served with beer. First you choose what kind you want, the vendor grabs them piping hot from the basket and passes you a little stool, salt, and a vinegar-onion sauce. You hold the hot egg and flick carefully but at the top of it with your middle finger. It cracks a bit and you gently remove a small hole from the top, so you can sip the savory broth before removing the whole shell. The 18-day is the best rather than the younger ones. You might come across some small chunkies but it's usually just eaten all the way through, in about 3 mouthful bites. You can see feathers, head, wings, and skeleton forming, but it's basically an extra-chewy Easter egg.

Does it taste like chicken?

More like a soup/stew. The embryo is just forming so no real bones to speak of so water that tastes like a dead duck. what can I say, I was young and a snake-eating lawn-dart

Most of us do some pretty crazy things when we're young. After the First Gulf War I was granted 2 weeks immediate leave ('cos we'd been working 16-18 hr days since Saddam invaded Kuwait) and decided to visit California. Booked the air ticket on Thursday, collected it Friday and flew out on Saturday...with no hotel or accommodation arranged. Landing at LAX around midnight on Saturday night and passing through the Greyhound station (in deepest downtown LA) en route to San Francisco was....interesting!

But that has nothing to do with dead-duck soup or other delicacies!

In the homestead days, my uncle would find a duck nest in the field he was working and slurp up all the eggs. If he got some with baby ducks already forming he thought he got a prize!
A visiting Sheila gave me a little packet of Vegimite for my toast. One bite and a quick sniff was enough for me! I told her we have tons of that stuff in Canada, only we call it Promolas and feed it to cows. I don't think they like it either. She said it was better than that bloody paste you lot eat, and tapped my jar of peanut butter. WELL! End of a beautiful relationship on the grounds of gastronomic incompatibility!

is that Matt lurking around?
Up in the northern highlands I was introduced to Tiet Canh, or raw blood soup. Duck, geese, or sometimes pig's blood is collected fresh, cooled, allowed to coagulate and then served wth some peanuts and herbs sprinkled on top. Has a very odd texture and tastes like copper metal
If Lucky is around let's do some nordic "taste treats"
LUTEFISK - literally Lye Fish. Dried and sometimes salted whitefish is mixed with soda lye (Potassium hydroxide - from wood ashes) it is then lightly cooked (over cooking turns it to soap).
And another one of my top "Treats": SURSTROMMING - canned fish which has been allowed to rot (ferment). Gases produced (fermentation continues in the can) sometimes cause the can to bulge. The smell is difficult to describe, sharp, acrid, rotten-egg, mixed with rancid butter and vinegar. As a result it is often eaten outside due to the stench

I would love for spinache (or blood=veri) minipancakes/blitzers pinaatti-letuaa, to be imported from Finland to UK, that and Lihapirika, Justo-pirika more non-sexual profiteering saunas, but just like my wishes for more Sake to be imported too....

Haggis pales in comparison to some of the ethnic "foods" eaten around the world. My wife used to love her KASZANKA or KISZKA, Polish blood sausage - pigs blood, buckwheat or Barley, plus pig liver, lungs, skin, and fat. Used to make me retch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back