Brooks' Rail Road shots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aaron Brooks Wolters

Brigadier General
Jul 28, 2007
Abingdon, VA.
Geedee, you asked for some more rail shots so I got a chance to go out today and take some. Enjoy.:)
IMG_1732 resized 25.jpg

IMG_1740 resized 25.jpg

IMG_1744 the yard at Dante VA. with the turntable..jpg

IMG_1749 Track maintance train in Abingdon VA. They left it running all weekend..jpg

Neat stuff. I love the roundhouse turntable. It takes me back to my younger days in the midwest seeing the trains and all the trees. We still have trains all the time here in Moorpark, but the scenery isn't like back east.

Loved the shots! Model railroading is one of my hobbies.

From 1988 to 1994 I worked on a tourist railroad. I started as Trainman, Fireman and in 1989 I became an Engineer and Conductor to boot. I worked the tourist, dinner, and freight trains. I ran GP-7s, FP-7A, and E-8A.

It was super fun. Too bad the owners tried to cheat the system and forced the RR into bankruptcy.

Bill G.

I wish I could have gotten a better shot of the turntable but that was the clearest one through the trees. They would not let me cross the yard but let me shoot from the access road which you can see in the turntable shot. Oh, and the camera has a depth of field setting so I used it on most of these shots. It seems to help a lot in the mountainous (hilly) region of the country. Thank you Eric and Daniel.:oops:

Geedee, you asked for some more rail shots so I got a chance to go out today and take some. Enjoy.:)

Cheers for that Aaron...aint the Internet a wonderful thing. Here I am, umpteen thousand miles away, having withdrawal symptons and thanks to mate whom I havent yet met, I can get my fill of the Iron Horse right in my front room !

Some very nice pics there, well framed and captured.

Have been thinking a bit about your pics and am going to suggest something you might like to think about. Have alook at getting a 'Polarising' filter for your main lens.

This does two things....one, it helps keep the end of your lens clean and dust free and secondly, I have found that in some lighting conditions, it enhances the colours quite a bit.

Now generally, a polariser will only work in strong sunlight and you have to be be facing the right way to get the best effect (cant for the life of me remember which way it is....numpty !) and all you have to do is to rotate the filter to get the desired effect.

You will have seen that I use this type of filter on a lot of my shots. It does really exentuate blue's but that often makes a piccie, I reckon. The other good thing about it, is that you can keep it attached all the time. It also makes some great shots when you are looking at Perspex / Glass etc.

Hi Geedee,

>Have been thinking a bit about your pics and am going to suggest something you might like to think about. Have alook at getting a 'Polarising' filter for your main lens.

Good suggestion, it's really useful for reducing the visibility of haze in scenery shots, and for controlling reflections in a variety of situations, for example in skyline pictures when you have extreme highlights that might spoil the shot.

I loved my polarizing filter too, but one day I dropped it off a railroad bridge (which ironically enables me to stay on topic here :-/). See attached photograph of polarizer ... in the middle of the drainage channel, 4 m beneath my feet.

(I eventually managed to retrieve it, after a long and bitter struggle against the elements.)

A polarizer increases exposure times, so it's a good idea to use it only when this pays off. My personal advice is that when it's not in use, one should carefully store it in a place where it's safe from falling into drainage channels!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Fleetfilter.jpg
    Fleetfilter.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 75
(I eventually managed to retrieve it, after a long and bitter struggle against the elements.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Every picture tells a story !....great railroad link too !

Aaron, if you look at my recent thread on Diamond Lil, the first set of pics taken in 2005, I didn't use a Polariser and the colours look weak and 'wishywashy'. The shots of "Ol 927! used a polariser and gave me some great skies and effects. These filters can be quite pricey....well, at least here they are (£35.00) but I wouldn't be without one now.

Great info Gary, thanks. I have been looking around at some of the polarizing filters available for my lenses. So far what I can afford at the moment won't fit my lenses. I'm saving my nickles though and hope to have one soon. The Canon filter I found was $85.00, it's a filter for crying out loud. Maybe I need to look on E-bay.:dontknow: The haze in the RR shots was actually snow. The temps were in the mid 20's F and the wind was blowing at a good clip. Oh, and I will be posting my RR shots on syscoms thread to save space. Again, thank you for the info, much appreciated.:thumbright::cool:

Hi Aaron,

>Oh, and I forgot to post this with the others.:oops:

Hm, do you have a polarizing filter now? The Newton's rings visible in the windscreen of the engine seem to indicate so.

Plexiglass/Perspex has polarizing properties too, which depends on the mechanical stress exerted upon the Plexiglass piece. An (additional) polarizing filter can make this visible.

Here's a picture where the effect gives the canopy of a Bell 47 a decidedly soap-bubbley look - definitely not my original plan! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• PE200809_026_23A.jpg
    PE200809_026_23A.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back