Brown Recluse Spider: Wonder Why You Fear Spiders? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw in a documentary that there is a race of spider that has such good "teeth" that they could bite through a boot... Holy sh*t !

**Note to self** If ever I go in Autralia, make sure to bring a .45cal with me.

That would be the Australian funnel-web spider and, yes, they are also from Australia. This is from good ole' Wikipedia:

"Like other Mygalomorphae, (also called the Orthognatha an infraorder of spiders that includes the true tarantulas), these spiders have fangs which point straight down and do not cross each other (cf Araneomorphae). They have ample venom glands that lie entirely within their chelicerae. Their chelicerae and fangs are large and powerful. Although they are rather small compared to the true tarantulas, they should not be handled without taking substantial precautions, because their fangs have been known to penetrate fingernails and soft shoes, resulting in dangerous bites."

Here is some Trivia for you all (Like I said my wife has been working with Spiders lately so I am getting all this stuff at home right now):

Q: What is the most venemous spider in the world?

the most venomous and you will not believe it is the daddy long leg. pound for pound.................wha ? you get my drift the thing seems worthless but yes scientists have proven this some 25 years ago

doesn't really matter they all deserve a squash under a heavy boot

"This spider is believed to have the most active neurotoxic venom of any living spider. Its venom is so potent that only 0.006mg (0.00000021oz) is sufficient to kill a mouse."

What is the Most Venomous Spider in the World?

yes?

Nope that has been proven wrong now....

Very good guess and that is what most people think.

My wifes professor is one of the people who has been researching the paricular spider I am talking about and he has one at the university.

Erich said:
the most venomous and you will not believe it is the daddy long leg. pound for pound.................wha ? you get my drift the thing seems worthless but yes scientists have proven this some 25 years ago

Nope just a myth. This was officially disproven in 2004 and the venom has been proven to be very very weak.

I will let this go for another day or two or until someone names the most venemous spider.

Adler,

Could it be those tiny little red bastards I can't remember the name of ??

They're real tiny but I've heard their venom is amongst the most powerful in the world, luckily their fangs are too short to puncture our skin.

It's not the Funnel web spider is it ?

The Sydney Funnel Web Spider (Atrax robustus) is considered to be the most venomous spider in the world. It is found in the NSW coastal zone from Nelson's Bay to Nowra. Its habitat is under rocks and houses, in a web-lined burrow. The spider is very aggressive and will attack at the slightest provocation.
Despite its fearsome reputation, there are only 14 recorded deaths due to funnel web spider bite. However, when the spider does inject a dangerous quantity of venom, the effects can be rapid and severe, and death within an hour may occur.
spaceball.gif

What is the most poisonous spider in the world?

Did you know that out of the 35,000 or so species of spiders only 27 have been documented to have caused death in humans?

Still that's 27 species too many.

Now, if you're like us you thought the Sydney Funnel Web Spider is the world's most poisonous spider and although it can kill a person in as little as 15 minutes, it's #2 on the list.

Ranking #1 is the Brazilian Wandering Spider, also known as the Banana Spider as it's been found in clumps of bananas shipped to all parts of the world.

Its gotta be one of the two... If it aint Chris, then someone has discovered something new....

I say the Funnel Web or the Brazilian Wandering Spider then.

The Funnel web spider is amongst the freaking scariest I've ever seen!

Adler,

Could it be those tiny little red bastards I can't remember the name of ??

They're real tiny but I've heard their venom is amongst the most powerful in the world, luckily their fangs are too short to puncture our skin.

Nope you are talking about the Daddy Long Legs and that is just a myth anyhow and was disproven in 2004.

The Sydney Funnel Web Spider (Atrax robustus) is considered to be the most venomous spider in the world. It is found in the NSW coastal zone from Nelson's Bay to Nowra. Its habitat is under rocks and houses, in a web-lined burrow. The spider is very aggressive and will attack at the slightest provocation.
Despite its fearsome reputation, there are only 14 recorded deaths due to funnel web spider bite. However, when the spider does inject a dangerous quantity of venom, the effects can be rapid and severe, and death within an hour may occur.
spaceball.gif

What is the most poisonous spider in the world?

Did you know that out of the 35,000 or so species of spiders only 27 have been documented to have caused death in humans?

Still that's 27 species too many.

Now, if you're like us you thought the Sydney Funnel Web Spider is the world's most poisonous spider and although it can kill a person in as little as 15 minutes, it's #2 on the list.

Ranking #1 is the Brazilian Wandering Spider, also known as the Banana Spider as it's been found in clumps of bananas shipped to all parts of the world.

Its gotta be one of the two... If it aint Chris, then someone has discovered something new....

Nope the Funnel Web is considered the most dangerous because it actually comes into contact with humans.

Allright everyone I will tell you now:

The most venemous spider in the world is the 6 Eyed Sand Spider, found in in deserts and other sandy places in southern Africa.

The venom has been found to be more toxic than that of the Funnel Web Spider and the Brazilian Wandering Spider. It would take only half the amount of the venom from a Funnel Web Spider to kill a human. The venom has a combined hemolytic and necrotoxic effect. It causes the massive breakdown of blood cells and causes bleeding as well as necrosis (what the Brown Recluse causes) as well as the breakdown of multiple organs (litterally eating the organs away).

The thing that makes this spider really scary is that there is no anti-venom for it.

Fortunatly it rarely comes into contact with humans and is very very shy.

My wifes Professor actually has a living specimen and he showed it to them in class on Monday.

You are correct though Dan in that until now the Funnel Web spider was considered the most venomous spider.

1894698301_c7eb0bcf98.jpg

Very interesting.... What scientific proof/research does this come from???

Better call Guinness World Book...

It is still being researched at this moment. I am sure once all the findings have been documented and they are sure of everything it will be reflected in books and teachings. One of my wifes Professors is researching this spider at the moment. I wish my wife had taken the camera to school on Monday and then I could have posted some self taken pics on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back