C-47/DC-3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was going to list the major land battles fougth by the western allies in which the C-47 played an important role. I think it would be easier to list battles in which the C-47 did not provide important service. Any ideas?

The C–47 and its relatives (Dakota, R4D, etc) not only pioneered in-theater wartime routes but also served as VIP transports, general personnel transports, troop carriers, glider tugs, paratroop assault transports, cargo transports, airborne ambulances, air-sea rescue craft, and special operations aircraft.

According to Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower: "Four things won the Second World War—the bazooka, the Jeep, the atom bomb, and the C–47 Gooney Bird."

No other airplane was on that list.

I was going to list the major land battles fougth by the western allies in which the C-47 played an important role. I think it would be easier to list battles in which the C-47 did not provide important service. Any ideas?

I can only think of one place where the C-47 was a second place, "The Hump" across the Himalayas. The C-46 Commando carried a bulk of that, however, the C-47s were also used.

Hi,

If the C47 was the only logistic-capable mechanism of the war then i'd agree.

The vast bulk of fuel, men, ammunition, food and guns was via ships and land supply/trucks. Without the C47 it would be harder, but not impossible.

Without it the war would of probaly gone on longer. But, on the same token, without the other aircraft I mentioned, the war would also of gone on longer.

river

While the other aircraft you mentioned were important contributors to the winning of WW2 by the allies, there has to be a horse in front of the cart. Because of the impact the C-47 DC-3 had on aviation, not only was it the "horse in front of the cart, it was the lead horse on the wagon train."

Hard to say why the data plate doesn't have a delivery date - my guess it was part of a US government contract that allocated money during a specific fiscal year so the delivery date didn't matter, but this is just a guess.

Junkers - I've been told by a few friends who had the opportunity to fly a C-47 that it is a dream to fly and this is another attribute that places it on the top aviation pedestal. I taxied one but never had the opportunity to fly one.

that is really a good guess :) i think you are on to something there :)
and YES..its a dream to fly the C-47. if you ever get the oppertunity to try it grab it and hold on :)
that lady really fly so smooth and reacts to every command as a dream. :) best plane i have ever flown :)

and when thinking about the history of the C-47/DC-3 there is none even close :)

I can only think of one place where the C-47 was a second place, "The Hump" across the Himalayas. The C-46 Commando carried a bulk of that, however, the C-47s were also used.

You are certainly right about the unheralded but important C-46. I am sure, however, that the C-47 contributed mightily on both sides of the "Hump".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back