CAF Southern California has a new bird! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I went down to Camarillo today for a day out with my boy. I walked into the museum hangar and my eyes spotted a Polikarpov I-16! I almost soiled myself. I asked where it came from and all the usual. Well, it's going to be a part of our museum now! It arrived 2 weeks ago via truck and has been getting assembled in our hangar. It should be up and flying in February! More pictures will come once she gets airborne.

Attachments

• aeronca_211.jpg
    aeronca_211.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 452
  • jakeeric_769.jpg
    jakeeric_769.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 473
  • mitchell_791.jpg
    mitchell_791.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 480
  • c46crew_970.jpg
    c46crew_970.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 458
  • newbird2_637.jpg
    newbird2_637.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 474
  • newbird1_177.jpg
    newbird1_177.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 456
sys, it's probably to stop idiots like Eric from touching the instruments. Sorry, dude, couldn't resist. :lol:

That happens to be me in the left seat of the C-46! We were working on the hydraulic system yesterday.

The red bar in the cockpit is the aileron control lock.

Eric

I was going to say that the red bar was the aviation version of "The Club"! ;) I know better than to touch the stuff in there, at least the important controls anyway.

I am not sure who will be flying the Polikarpov yet, but the guy who sponsored the Martlett is sponsoring the I-16. I hope to see it up flying soon.

Yep, we always do. All the folks at the museum love Jacob also. He is the only one of the family that can be down there all day and not be bored. This was the first time he got to see the Mitchell fly. He loved it! A chip off the old block. ;)

It was restored in New Zealand. Came to the USA in the year 2000 when it was donated to the CAF. It has been at Midland, Texas until now. Carter Teeters has been flying it for the past few years and will continue to fly it.

Eric

I don't know if anyone else will fly it.

I think most pilots are afraid to fly the Polikarpov, or as I call it "the ground looper". From what I hear it is a difficult plane to handle on the ground, including takeoff and landing. Especially landing, if you don't land just right it can swerve off the runway, or clip a wingtip, etc.

Eric

Yikes, I also heard that if you go into a turn too aggressively, it will spin pretty quick. I don't know about you, but I would think twice before flying that one. Maybe more than twice! It kind of makes me think of a cross between a Gee Bee racer and a Brewster Buffalo.

evangilder said:
Yikes, I also heard that if you go into a turn too aggressively, it will spin pretty quick. I don't know about you, but I would think twice before flying that one. Maybe more than twice! It kind of makes me think of a cross between a Gee Bee racer and a Brewster Buffalo.

i would think the forward vision is seriously limited. I would think it must be even worse than the Spitfire.

Sounds more like the Dh66 comet racer to me. Aparently they dont fly it as not one of the pilots at shuttleworth has kept his twin rating up to date :( :( :(
Id love to see that flying again. But to be fair it was only designed to be flown once and the shear fact she is still around is a miricle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back