Calgary's Hurricane on the Move

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's extremely intricate and labour intensive with some fuselage joints requiring a couple of dozen individual pieces to assemble.

We have hit a major milestone on the project and we'll be delivering the finished engine to the shop that's completing the airframe tomorrow. After over a year of fiddling, the engine, a Packard Merlin 29, is now assembled, painted, and polished.

The shop that we did this in does not ave a test bed for the engine so the only way we will be able to test run it is when it's mounted in the actual aircraft, complete with fuel, coolant, oil, and engine control hook-ups.

Here are pics of the finished beast. The valve covers are temporarily secured with nylon lace acting as a seal. The gaskets were late in coming and will be fitted later. On delivery, I will have an opportunity ot take some pics of the airframe restoration and will post as soon as I can.

In the first pic, the engine in the background (top left) is a second Merlin 29 which at time was a convenient source of spares. It is not being refurbished at this time. Apologies for the pic quality - cell phone reduced for e-mailing.

IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

Great stuff Andy, and the pics are fine - they show what a neat design the Merlin is, and it even looks powerful !
I'd love to be there when it fires into life for the first time - oh, that Merlin 'cough and crackle', pure petrol symphony !

Well I will be there and will take vids. Should be run before the end of the year and I have second dibs on a cockpit seat when she goes.

One thing is that I have a renewed respect for the Erks who worked on these in the field. I was really surprised how difficult access is to the intake side spark plugs, the ones on top between the banks. Very cramped space to get these in at the best of times and I can't imagine doing this in desert heat or damp cold in the field.

Well, it was a long day and we covered 700km in our travels. Met our president Richard at 7am in Calgary and headed south to Nanton to pick up the engine. After hooking up the trailer, we lifted the Merlin aboard and began fastening it down. The pic below shows the engine after being placed on the trailer. In the background is the shop in which we are doing our Mosquito restoration and you can see the Mossie's Merlin 113 or 114 just under the door to the right and, behind that, the wing.

IMG_6620.jpg

It was a cool, rainy day so we made sure that the our baby was well protected. Here we are ready for the trip to Wetaskiwin.

IMG_0044.jpg

Unpacking and offloading at the Wetaskiwin shop. Yes, that's a CF-104 in the background, due for a re-paint.

IMG_6623.jpg
IMG_6627.jpg

Safely inside, our Merlin is received by Byron Reynolds who is heading up the restoration of the Hurricane airframe.

IMG_6644.jpg

I took lots of shots of the Hurricane progress and I'll post those some time this weekend. Enjoy.

Great stuff Andy, and that last shot is a good size comparison. Although compact, the Merlin is still one big lump !
Looking forward to the pics man !

I'm going to post a few installments here of the current state of the Hurricane, starting here with a few general overviews.

IMG_6630Posted.jpg

As you can see the wooden formers along the spine of the fuselage are getting attended to now. All of these are newly made, based on plans and a few left over parts.

IMG_6631Posted.jpg

A bit of camera shake on this pic of the starboard wing - sorry about that. The access panels for the 2 outer guns are open.

IMG_6645Posted.jpg

Here's the port wing. You can see all 6 casing ejector ports on this view of the underside,

IMG_6646Posted.jpg

A view from the starboard quarter......

IMG_6647Posted.jpg

....and from the front.

IMG_6653Posted.jpg

More later!

By the way, if anyone here knows how to get hold of Tony (Rocketeer), let me know please. We are missing some parts that I'd like to talk to him about. We have been in contact with a major supplier in England already but they are unwilling to help us so we need to talk to private collectors.

Great stuff Andy.
I'll check to see if I have Tony's address or e-mail. If not, he may be at DX next weekend, so I'll look out for him. Failing that, when Gary gets back from his US tour, I can contact him at home, and ask him to get Tony to contact you.

That would be great, thanks Terry. We are in need of a number of items. Canopy rails are the main thing right now as these need to be installed with the stringers you see going in. Also the retractable step, among other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back