Calgary's Hurricane on the Move

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh. Here are a few more:

The wooden "doghouse" seen here behind the cockpit is an early rebuild attempt before we got hold of the aircraft and will not be used as it is not accurate in terms of replicating the original construction.

IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6637.jpg

The challenge that we have before us is that we have the partial remains of the original doghouse but no detailed drawings for it. Here's our group mulling over a particularly perplexing area on the port side where we see the traces of where the formers were attached to the doghouse but we can't figure out how the parts that we have actually fit.

IMG_6675.jpg

Here's the side I'm talking about. The formers are original and come in multiple parts, the assembly of which we are trying to determine. The right-angled notch on the rear former is designed to receive the metal rail on which the canopy slides.

IMG_6652.jpg

Here you can see the intricate angles involved in the woodwork for this assembly. Like much of the rest of this aircraft's construction , it does not scream mass production, does it?

IMG_6676.jpg

Yeah it would be a bit of a hike for you Geo and access would need to be by appointment. Let me know if you are seriously thinking about it.

Thanks guys. I forgot about this thread and will need to post up some more pics.

Grant, yes we've been in touch with Hawker Restorations. Long story but suffice to say it's a dead end.

Sad to hear that. You'd hope there'd be a bit of info sharing between interested parties. Thumbs up and I'm sure you guys will come up with good solutions.

Yes, you would think.

Anyway, here are a couple of more pics showing some of the intricacies in the wing center section, with apologies for dropping the ball. More to come over the weekend.

IMG_6634Posted.jpg
IMG_6636Posted.jpg
IMG_6638Posted.jpg

Good stuff Andy.
I forgot to ask - dis you get anywhere with The Fighter Collection and Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford when you were there?
I'm thinking of asking ARC if I can visit, to make a short 'photo documentary' for the forum, on the work they do. If I do, and if they say yes, is there anything you'd like to ask them, in the way of contacts, parts, advice etc ?

Thanks for the offer Terry. When I strolled over to TFC, their office was closed but I did talk at length with a chap who was working on the Beaufighter. At the time I was looking for info on paint colours and not parts.

The professional restoration companies over there are fairly well connected and I think that all roads for missing Hurricane parts will ultimately lead to Hawker Restorations. As I stated above, that's a door that's been closed to us now. Our thoughts are to try to network with private collectors and the resale market and that's what I have Tony on the hook for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back