Calling All East Coast Warbird Fans! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
It ain't Chino. It ain't Duxford. But us Mid-Atlantic goobers have something just as nice! The WWII Weekend in Reading, Pennsylvania. June 4, 5 and 6 2010. Its the 20th Anniversary and lets celebrate!

Toughombre and myself are making plans to stay the weekend. B-17 Engineer will be there. How about some more? Dirkpitt? Timshatz? Aaron Brooks Walter? (its not that far! :)) Charles, if ur feeling good! We gotta have the gang go again!

Heres the site:

WELCOME TO THE MID-ATLANTIC AIR MUSEUM'S WORLD WAR II WEEKEND

For those who have never gone, the show has numerous warbirds - bombers, fighters,training and transport. And not just USA. For special occasions they invite foreign a/c - I once watched a Hurricane and a P-40 fly with a Yak. Great stuff! But thats not all! The place is set up with numerous WWII re-enactors in camps made to look like the ETO or PTO - Allied, German and Japanese. This includes the vehicles used including tanks, halftrack, jeeps, etc. During the show, they usually have battles out on the field with all the equipment. And if thats not enough, there is a huge flea market of WWII memorbilia. I got lost just looking over the books, weapons, shirts, etc. Amazing! They also have book signings and special guests who appear, a Swing Dance and dinner - all kinds of stuff to transport ya back to 1943.

Now Steve and I were talking and we liked to see who all are going and maybe we can meet up one night for a dinner and chat fest. Get to know the faces behind the usernames.

Heres a link to the lodgings in the area:

Reading Hotels near Berkshire Country Club - Reading, Pennsylvania PA

There are more but those 2 listed are right near the airfield. There are also B&Bs in the area.

Now the last time a few of us went, I made a simple banner for the event. Charles, TO and I had a great time. But this time, if we get more members, I'm thinking of a snazzy banner we can take pics with. Especially wearing our Clave-made WWII shirts! Something like the pics below.

So who all is goin?!!

Attachments

• ban02.jpg
    ban02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Oh yea I remember whne I REALLY young they had buckets all around for donations for a P-61 they found is it the same one ya think?

I'm still trying to work that week-end in, Chris. Will let you know at the time gets closer.

That pic of the P-61 is confusing.... you're actually looking at the rear end of it. Notice
the taper of the trailing edge of the wing stubs.....

Charles

Heck pb, why not go, just so that WW2AC has a "tour de force"?

It's not very often that we can have a large turnout of members in one spot...if I were out that way, I'd be there!

Come on Neil, we'll save ya a seat!

I'm planning on Geneseo next year - one big airshow a year for me. I've all but convinced my pre-wife there will be things for her to do at Geneseo while I google at planes! :)

Come on Neil, we'll save ya a seat!

I'm planning on Geneseo next year - one big airshow a year for me. I've all but convinced my pre-wife there will be things for her to do at Geneseo while I google at planes! :)
Like to but am in same boat as yourself money, and 6 hour drive each way to Reading or 4.5 hr to Thunder over Michigan makes for a long day. So I'm aiming for ToM

Just catching this thread...I did a quick google map to Reading, PA from my little town and it comes out to 6.5 hrs (most of this on I-81) so it is a little bit of a trek. Good news if the wife told me one of her best friends from high school lives in Reading so that may mean an overnight(s) visit where I can get dropped off at the gate. :)
My Uncle (in-law) is a retired UAL pilot and lives about two hours away and if he's up for it it would be a blast to hang out with him at such an event.
Money is definitely a concern so I am trying to make plans for this event with the hospitality of family or friends covering the costs of my sleeping space.

Thanks for the notice and I'll be watching for developments and plans for the event.
Regards,
Derek

Mudpuppy, more than welcome to join in!!

IIRC the cost to get in was about $25 and refreshments weren't too bad. But once you see all that can be bought either through the museum or the flea market, that pocket empties quicky!

I wanted to post this early so everyone can plan. As we get nearer, Me and TO will hash out some of the particulars and post them on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back