Camarillo Airshow, "Wings Over Camarillo" August 22-23, 2009

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

The Corsair nabbing the zero was a long way out, so there is some heat haze, but the 500mm pulled it in.

The Mk XIV Spitfire wasn't done, and stayed in the maintenance hangar. I look forward to seeing that fly again.

The Spitfire that did fly is a full-sized replica with an Allison engine.

As you can see, Gary, I have been working on my prop blur shots. That was hand-held at 1/30. 8)

Most excellent photos, Eric!

The thing that gets me, is every time I see your next group of photos, they always top the last group. Not sure how you do it, but keep it up!

I have to agree about the Zero/Corsair photo...the angle of the shot and the action it suggests is perfection and I bet you could make a sweet vintage B&W out of it, too!

The CAF hangar is on the west end of the field. You were about 200 yards from it if you were at the hangar with the WWII vets.

I posted 40 galleries of photos from the show on my website. They are at:
Van Gilder Aviation Photography, Wings Over Camarillo 2009-

Enjoy!
The pictures are great.
Thanks. :)

I looked at my program directory at the show and saw CAF listed on it and couldn't figure out what it meant.
I intended to go by and check it out because I didn't know what CAF meant.
After I started wandering among the warbirds with my group it completely slipped my mind.

Reading the whole flyer might have helped me know what CAF meant. :oops:
I just got it out and looked at it again

Wheels

Now that was a thread worth looking at Eric superb images and by the posting sounds like you lapped up the day, any Idea how bigger a crowd you got? the bigger the better as obviously you know popularity is the life blood of any airshow and it looks like it has the potential to get way bigger.

Cheers guys. I think the Mk XIV Spitfire stayed in the hangar because they had the Griffon still out of the airframe, which was put on a few days ago.

The CAF is a great organization with 70 chapters worldwide. There is a chapter not far from you, Wheels, In Riverside. The name change wasn't that big of a deal, and it is certainly more fitting for what they are all about. The main things is that they keep these old birds flying, as an organization.

I don't have the numbers on attendance at the show, but it sure looked more crowded than in previous years from my vantage point. The CAF PX and ride program had some brisk business and I think both days were good for them for fund raising. The aerial displays were definitely more numerous, and that will certainly bring people ou for Sunday.

Maybe. But yeah, I got the newsletter. It saddens me that after three years of working on the Mk XIV, I missed it, and I'll probably miss its first flight, unless it happens around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Do you have pictures of that, or Joe's SNJ?

The CAF is a great organization with 70 chapters worldwide. There is a chapter not far from you, Wheels, In Riverside. The name change wasn't that big of a deal, and it is certainly more fitting for what they are all about. The main things is that they keep these old birds flying, as an organization.
I think it's right up the road at Riverside airport.
Another place right in my backyard I have missed.

The attendance at the show seemed good to me too.
I have no clue about how many were there either.
I didn't see many empty booths and the food lines always had people in them.

Wheels

I'm going to try and catch up with the Spitfire when it makes it's first flight. The only shots I have of before the maintenance began is on film, and it was on the ground.

I remember the day Joe's SNJ arrived, in pieces in the back of a truck. I may have film shots of that somewhere, but don't know if I scanned them. Anyway, here are 2 shots of the Spitfire from 2003 that I scanned a few years ago, and a shot of Joe's SNJ as it was displayed at the show.

Attachments

• spitfire.jpg
    spitfire.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 61
  • spitfire2.jpg
    spitfire2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_5343.jpg
    DSC_5343.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 59
Here is a video from the show that MysticPuma made.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvIf5163LKs

I met him, Monguse and 352ndPersecutor at the show.

If the following it to OT Eric just edit it out or let me know and I will.

MP and Monguse also did the "Not my time to Die" IL-2 movie.
Not My Time To Die

MP and Monguse are interviewing Art Fiedler and other pilots for a 325th Fighter Group/ 317th Fighter Squadron checker tail documentary.
Art Fiedler 317th FS P-51 Ace chats about his USAAF career. Audio file link. - Topic Powered by Eve Community

Just in case the link doesn't work.
PHP:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5641000696?r=5641000696#5641000696
From what MP said at the show the documentary is slated for a 2010 release now.

Wheels

No worries on that one, Wheels. I sent Neil an e-mail (Art introduced us) and we chatted for quite a while. I haven't heard back from Neil yet, but wanted to send him some photos for his documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back