Can I be an honorary Englishman?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

English history goes back further than a thousand years.

Julius Ceaser landed in England in 55 bc...

That 2063 years ago. So got the Romans and the Saxons and the Vikings and the Normans.

Although England wasn't England until the invasion of the Saxons...which were Germanic tribes.

History is a thing of mine.

The history of the British Isles extends further back than August 55 BC, when Caeser landed five legions north-east of modern day Dover. It's said to extend to the times of Ancient Greece, but unfortunately there's no written records - only their artifacts left in the ground.

You'll find that England did not become England until approx. 450 AD when the Angles from modern Denmark invaded the British Isles. While the Saxons came over at a similar time from their homeland in northern Germany; the name of England comes from the Angles i.e. Angle-Land or Angland (England).

The history of the United States of America began with the first discovery of the east coast of modern U.S by white man; it developed from then to their independance on 18th August, 1776. You could go so far as to say North Americas history in European writings starts when Erik the Red landed in Newfoundland in the 12th Century.

No matter what anyone thinks of England - it's had the largest affect on this world; the fourth English Empire brought the industrial revolution to the globe, it introduced the railway to Asia and Africa, gave birth to the U.S, fought against many a dictator, stood up against many hardships through its history. Despite the fact I despise the government of this nation today, I'm still damn proud of being English.

And it's the English Empire in my eyes, the Scottish and Welsh were conquered just as much as any other place. Scotland was forced into the union in 1707.

The Saxons were the biggest so therefore the most powerful.

Yes English history pre dates the Romans but not written so difficult to be accurate.

The idea that history only goes a thousand years misses Alfred the Great...a true hero...and one of the very few English Kings England has had.

Odd to think that the Viking raiders had such a huge part to play in English history and still do even today.

"The Saxons were the biggest so therefore the most powerful."

That gives no excuse to miss off the Angles who gave England its name.

PlanD, don't you forget viking Leif Eriksson. ... L'Anse Aux Meadows on the tip of the Great Northern Peninsula of island of Newfoundland in Canada in the year of the Lord 1000....:lol:

Did you know that Normandy and Normans get their names from the vikings that settled there...Norseman/Norsemen....

Yes, I was aware of that. The Vikings raided all of Europe, not just the British Isles. The Swedish and Norweigan Vikings mainly entered the Irish Sea and attack Ireland; while the Danish Vikings were most responsable for the east coast of the British Isles and Northern France. What is little known is the fact that the people that inhabitated "England" at the time were of the same stock as the Vikings, they worshipped similar gods and had the same methods of raising an army.

England is an ethnic mix of vikings and anglo saxons and other Germanic tribes.

The roman, Celt and Norman/French mix is very small.

So we are Germanic/scandanavian in blood. The Danish vikings were too DNA close to be distinguished from the Germanics but the Norway Vikings were different enough.

We have so much common blood with modern day Belgium and Northern Germany...a very scary thought. Our Queen and Royal Family are German too...

Historians have tried to make the Vikings look nice with their farming and sea voyages...but Bar Stewards they were and Bar Stewards they still. The Saxons weren't much nicer either.

The Vikings did not found Russia, there was already the tribe Rus in modern day western Russia. The Vikings sailed up to modern ArchAngelsk.

According to the Russian Primary Chronicle (ca. 1040-1118 AD), the Rus were a group of "Varangians," possibly of Swedish origin, who had a leader named Rurik. Rus appears to be derived from the Finnish word for Sweden, *Rotsi, later Ruotsi, which in turn comes from Old Swedish rother, a word associated with rowing or ships, so that rothskarlar meant "rowers" or "seamen."

"6370 (862 BC) ...Discord thus ensued among them, and they began to war one against another. They said to themselves, 'Let us seek a prince who may rule over us, and judge us according to the law.' They accordingly went overseas to the Varangian Rus: these particular Varangians were known as Rus, just as some are called Swedes, and others Normans, Angles, and Goths, for they were thus named. The Chuds, the Slavs, and the Krivichians then said to the people of Rus: 'Our whole land is great and rich, but there is nor order in it. Come to rule and reign over us.' They thus selected three brothers, with their kinfolk, who took with them all the Rus, and migrated. The oldest, Rurik, located himself in Novgorod; the second, Sinaeus, in Beloozero; and the third, Truvor, in Izborsk. On account of these Varangians, the district of Novgorod became known as Russian (Rus) land. The present inhabitants of Novgorod are descended from the Varangian race, but aforetime they were Slavs." (Russian Primary Chronicle)

The Vikings settled coastal areas along the Baltic Sea, and along inland rivers in Russian territories such as Staraya Ladoga, Novgorod and along major waterways to the Byzantine empire.

The Varangians or Varyags (Russian, Ukrainian: Варяги, Varyagi) sometimes referred to as Variagians were Scandinavians who migrated eastwards and southwards through what is now Russia, Belarus and Ukraine mainly in the 9th and 10th centuries. Engaging in trade, piracy and mercenary activities, they roamed the river systems and portages of Gardariki, reaching the Caspian Sea and Constantinople.

But.....I think we're slighty off topic here...:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back