CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There's a couple Swiss B-17s...try a Google image search, there's a few color profiles in the first results.

Seeing that Swiss B-17 reminds me of the Swiss P-51D I posted some time back...now that would be a good model project!

@ Buffnut453 and Aaron Brooks Wolters,
GrauGeist, is right the were a couple of B17 that landed in Swiss territory ( As I said in my previous post the pict is well known ;) but I just wanted to share because this is the topic :) as the captured Stuka photo is also well known :) )
But you are right would make a lovely model :)

To me the aluminum P51B in swiss marking looks better ;)

One more :)
Fw capt.jpg

Last edited:
OK...just went through all 33 pages of this awesome thread(Gad I need a life) just to avoid a repost. Found the photo of this color profile. From a Russian language book "Luftwaffe Losses on the Eastern Front" Would there be stars on the upper wing surfaces as well?

me109g-2.JPG

Luftwaffe Losses on the Eastern Front Me109G-2 W.Nr14513 ll-JG53 43-01-17.JPG

Geo

NJACO Consolidated B-24H-5-DT Ser. # 41-28641. This B-24 was used to fly supply missions to the Island of Rhodes in late 1944. The Liberator was recaptured by U.S. troops at Salzburg, Austria.

04884.jpg

Last edited:
OK...just went through all 33 pages of this awesome thread(Gad I need a life) just to avoid a repost. Found the photo of this color profile. From a Russian language book "Luftwaffe Losses on the Eastern Front" Would there be stars on the upper wing surfaces as well?

View attachment 216550
View attachment 216551

Geo

Omg :D I have a G-2 in the stash that I couldn't choose what markings to make her as, thanks Geo for the idea :D

A Curtiss P-40 captured at Clark Field in the Philippines.
German military attache stationed in Japan Major general Gronau inspects the airframe.

2nd photo shows stencil on the portside.

P-40 in Philippines.JPG

Stencil on the port side.JPG

OK... Would there be stars on the upper wing surfaces as well?
Yes, the VVS had 8 red stars for thier aircraft: located on upper lower wing, fuselage and vertical stabilizer.

Chris, second photo down, the B-25s in that shot weren't captured, they were being readied to ferry over to Russia (or had just recently arrived)

Shinpachi,

Thank you for the pictures of the P-40. Please note the photo in the lower left corner is an ex-Dutch airframe captured in the Dutch East Indies. It's a different airframe from the US P-40 shown top right.

By the way, where were these pictures published? I haven't seen them before.

Many thanks,
B-N

I cannot remember where I have found this photo of a french bombrer
Lioré  Olivier Léo 451 (1).jpg
Lioré et Olivier Léo 451 used by germans for transport.

Shinpachi,

Thank you for the pictures of the P-40. Please note the photo in the lower left corner is an ex-Dutch airframe captured in the Dutch East Indies. It's a different airframe from the US P-40 shown top right.

By the way, where were these pictures published? I haven't seen them before.

Many thanks,
B-N

Thanks for your information, B-N.
That book was published by Asahi Shinbun, a local press company, for the Japanese aviation fan in 1943.
A roll of microfilm seems available inside National Diet Library in Tokyo.

Thanks Shinpachi. The surviving photos of Allied aircraft captured by Japanese forces in Malaya, Singapore, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies are a treasure-trove of useful info. I'm always on the lookout for pics of Martin B-10s, P-35s or Buffalos so, although these didn't cover those topics, I still found them interesting. I was fortunate to work with a gentleman in Japan a few years ago who purchased original WWII magazines for me that were absolutely filled with photos of captured aircraft. Fascinating stuff! I keep hoping there's more to be discovered, like the recent photo sold on ebay of a 243 Sqn Buffalo wreck at Kallang, Singapore.

Cheers,
B-N

Thanks Shinpachi. The surviving photos of Allied aircraft captured by Japanese forces in Malaya, Singapore, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies are a treasure-trove of useful info. I'm always on the lookout for pics of Martin B-10s, P-35s or Buffalos so, although these didn't cover those topics, I still found them interesting. I was fortunate to work with a gentleman in Japan a few years ago who purchased original WWII magazines for me that were absolutely filled with photos of captured aircraft. Fascinating stuff! I keep hoping there's more to be discovered, like the recent photo sold on ebay of a 243 Sqn Buffalo wreck at Kallang, Singapore.

Cheers,
B-N

If only these pics came out more often :D Its amazing what pops up once in a while, I've almost completed my "Foreign aircraft in Japan markings" model collection just about 20 or so more to go hehe :D

Great stuff and more pics please ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back