CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did you happen to notice the difference in the tail assemblys of the
lead aircraft and the other two ? The lead aircraft is obviously an
early model. I think these aircraft were captured when the Japanese
captured the Phillipines, along with a bunch of P-40's and Bruster
Buffalo's.

Charles

Did you happen to notice the difference in the tail assemblys of the
lead aircraft and the other two ? The lead aircraft is obviously an
early model. I think these aircraft were captured when the Japanese
captured the Phillipines, along with a bunch of P-40's and Bruster
Buffalo's.

Charles

That's right. Although most of the USAAF aircraft were destroyed on the ground (MacArthur was asleep at the switch), a few were captured intact. And we were doing ourselves a favor by letting them get the Buffaloes. :)

The lead B-17 is a "D" model and the ones following are "E" or "F" models.

see this..

Captured B-17
"These three B-17s were captured by the Japanese in the Philippines and Netherlands East Indies. They were tested by the IJAAF Koku Gijutsu Kenkyujo (Air Technical Research Laboratory) at Tachikawa."

Check out the closeup pics that are on the site.

Well I'm really into the Fokker G.I today, so I couldn't help myself posting this one here. This G.IB stoot ready at the time of the German invasion, but if only it had guns... The Germans were quick to get this one to Germany after hostilities ended.

Attachments

• g1_348_1.jpg
    g1_348_1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,142
I think in the picture the markings are better visible,aren't they.

source unknown.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,109
Another dutch plane, this time flying for both sides! A Fokker T.VIII float plane of the Dutch navy, the same model flying for the germans and one flying in the 320th dutch navy squadron in the UK:
(Source unknown)

Attachments

• FokkerT8-Engels.jpg
    FokkerT8-Engels.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,021
  • FokkerT8-Duits.jpg
    FokkerT8-Duits.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • FokkerT8-Nederlands.jpg
    FokkerT8-Nederlands.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,031
I share my photo collection how I see fit, on the net and in print. The more folks who get to see this kind of thing, the better. That is what is most important to me, and that is why I choose to post some of my collection on the internet. Please do not misunderstand; I do not mind that people take images I have posted on the net and post them elsewhere, so long as credit is given. It's a very simple and plain matter of courtesy. If you find an image on the internet, or take it from another source, such as a book or magazine, and present it elsewhere, the least you can do is mention the source.

The bottom line is the fact that the individual who posted the image here in this thread should have stated that he found it on a given website or forum, but did not. If he could not remember where it was found, this should have been stated. Again, it's a matter of courtesy. And again, I'm not angry about this, just a tad miffed. I merely wish to see that credit is given where it is due.

I have basically the same philosophy regarding my own 2000 plus photo collection of 355Fg and Scout Force. In the photo image upload I put in the 355th FG section here, you can see that I am meticulous about crediting the original source (to me). Most are USAAF/USAF property if one were to dive deep into 'original' copyright...

I have had a few unscrupulous folks use my material and research w/o credit but at the end of the day I don't really care.

I posted my Captured Eagles presentation write-up a while back. Here are some pictures I used for the presentation. These are collected from a variety of sources.

Below is 358FS/355FG YF-U Beele flown by Bill Roach and Walt Kossack's YF-X the day they was captured (November 7, 1943). The bottom photo was after the LW repainted it in US colors for a propganda film. These two ships were two of four that ran out of fuel extending too far to cover a bomb group under attack.

Both Kossack and Roach spent rest of war as POW's

Joe- on your F4U - it was captured by Japanese and transported via sub.

On the B-17s I believe the D was captured at Java, not the Phillipines and I have no idea regarding the B-17E's but we lost a few at Truk for sure. Maybe they were repaired... I don't believe the 19th BG had B-17Es in Phillipines - only at Port Moresby and Guadalcanal?

Attachments

• 358 YFU in Germany_Rosarus Circus [shewfelt].jpg
    358 YFU in Germany_Rosarus Circus [shewfelt].jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 358 YFX_Kossack_42-8477_7nov1943 [shewfelt].jpg
    358 YFX_Kossack_42-8477_7nov1943 [shewfelt].jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,271
  • 358 YFU_Beetle_Roach_42-22490_7nov1943 [shewfelt].jpg
    358 YFU_Beetle_Roach_42-22490_7nov1943 [shewfelt].jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 1,221
Joe- on your F4U - it was captured by Japanese and transported via sub.

You mean the one way back in the very first post??

Exactly which submarine did the Japanese carve up in order to stuff even pieces of an F4U . . . and can you cite a TROM to go along with your statement?

You mean the one way back in the very first post??

Exactly which submarine did the Japanese carve up in order to stuff even pieces of an F4U . . . and can you cite a TROM to go along with your statement?

The only japanese sub that I can think of that would even come close to carrying an aircraft as big as a corsair would be the I-400 series submarine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back