CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Siebel Si 204D captured by the Russians

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 00701.jpg
    00701.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,159
  • len2.jpg
    len2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,156
I realize I am late on this but that is a B-17, probably one of the first squadron to be shipped to the Pacific Theater that would make it a B model witch did not have a tail gun. They looked a lot like the prototype.

I must remember to look at some stage because I have some other interesting odd ones somewhere...

This is from Luftwaffe im Focus 3/2003

During campaigns in Norway and France, the Luftwaffe captured an unknown number of Curtiss H75A fighters. At least six of these aircraft were sent directly to Rechlin for testing. Other Curtiss fighters were assigned to III./JG 77, which, following the campaign in Norway was based at Döberitz to protect the capital. The newly-formed 7. Staffel flew the Curtiss fighters as operational aircraft in September and October 1940. Their value as combat aircraft was virtualy nil, however, as the lack of ammunition belts for the aircraft's machine-guns prevented them from being armed. In early November 1940, therefore, 7. Staffel re-equiped with the BF 109E-7. After the failure of the experiment of using the aircraft as an operational type, a handful were transferred to the Replacement Training Fighter Gruppe in Merseburg and to JFS 1, a fighter training school based in Werneuchen. The bulk of captured Curtiss fighters were sold to Finland in the second half of 1941. Our photograph depicts one of the Curtiss H75A fighters sent to JFS 1 in Werneuchen. When the photoghraph was taken is unknown. Note the previously unidentified ''Walking Stick and Top Hat'' emblem. This emblem was used by JFS 1, however only a few of the school's aircraft are known to have worn it in 1941 (Ar 96 and Bf 109D). Unfortunately, no further information concerning the origins or significance of the emblem has so far come to light. To date, only one Curtiss H75A, coded +68 is known to have been at Werneuchen, the information coming from a pilot's logbook.

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,002
The lead B-17 is a "D" model and the ones following are "E" or "F" models.
That's right, the lead plane was based on (ie. rebuilt with parts mainly from) B-17D 40-3095, one of those based in the Philippines at the beginning of the war. One of the others was based on B-17E 41-2471, incompletely destroyed by burning when abandoned on Java in late Feb. 1942. The other one's identity is unknown, it apparently only appears in that picture. A Japanese book on captured Allied a/c doesn't mention it. It's conceivable that's a retouched photo, but in any case both E's in that picture are early ones (like 41-2471) with Bendix remote control belly turrets, rather than Sperry ball turrets.

The Japanese Buffalo usually seen in photo's was a Dutch B-339D captured on Java. It later appeared in a Japanese movie painted in RAF markings.

Apparently 2 P-40E's were captured intact in the Philippines (on Mindanao in May 1942), others on Java. Later in the war some more including a P-40N were also captured in China. In 1943 the Japanese had a small operational combat unit in Burma equipped with the P-40E's captured in the Philippines and Java.

Joe

Here a picture that really confusing me. Just where is this pickture taken? The first plane to the left is probility a Arado Ar 196, second I cant figure it. 3:rd is that a Curtiss P-40 E and judging of the stripes on the tail and the shark-face emblemed is that one of the captured Flying Tigers? 4:rt is a MESSERSCHMITT ME-262B-1A. 5:ft is definitivt a Mitsubishi A6M. Is this picture real or just a fake? The ME 262 is the most mysterical plane in the picture. Can it really be true that the Japanese Air Forge got a 262. The latest version from Germany by submarine so they can studing the latest german aviation tecknology? Dident we had a discussion if the Japan got an Me 262 from German before?:confused:

Ops sorry forgot to sent it to. Here it come and plz can you find out where it been taken or if it a fake one?

Attachments

• g500.jpg
    g500.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 984
Aaah now that explain the confusion over this picture that It create. The picture is real but yet faked. It's made to look like it been taken 60 years ago, not in modern time. THX Graeme for the fast ansver, this solve everything for me and every else from being :confused: by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back