Cars...? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep. At least when I had my old 'Classic' RR, it got used off road properly. I actually had to drive through Chelsea once, with the RR covered in so much mud, you couldn't tell what colour it was - got some very strange looks that day !!

The modern Rovers also seem to be designed to give a poor mechanic heartburn. An old Landy could be fixed with a selection of hammers ranging from an 8oz tapper to Thors Hammer the new ones need a workshop full of special tools and electronic equipment. God help anyone trying to drive off road when the ECU decides its time to go into limp mode because an CANBus interior bulb has blown. I kid you not this happened took me 3 hours to find the blown bulb and 2 minutes to fix the problem. Cost to customer £200 plus VAT for the labour and £1.99 for the bulb, total cost £241.99. An old Landy would keep going if it was on fire never mind a blown bulb.

The old Landy's would run even if on just the one barrel and run on horsep*ss (this with horse additives seems to be popular nowadays), much like old Volvo's and SAAB's, they sometimes outlived their owners!

Yep, my old Series III went up and down hills, through rivers, over rocks, beyond the axles in mud - and all with virtually no oil in it, an egg in the radiator to stop it leaking, and with the clutch slave cylinder knackered, meaning 'timed' gear changes!
BTW Jan, have you seen the Model Hobbies web-site recently? All of the old Revell/Monogram 1950s and 1960s car kits have been re-released, including some of the 'street rods' and 'funnies' - better save your pennies methinks!

Okay guys, i dont have much ideas but was thinking aviation theme.

004-19.jpg

The front end of that Ford is sweet eh?

On the subject of Fords. I had a '39 More Door Ford sedan Deluxe, 3" dropped front axle, 15" front and 16" rear true spoke wheels. 350 Chev blue printed mild cam, 350 turbo with a shift kit, 331 chev rear end. Black, flamed front end, silver to purple. Brown and black interior, tilt column. Loved that car.

I was looking at getting a kit, even tho they only come in two, and not four door. But why do the mfgrs think a kit can be '39-'40????? '39's had a role out windshield with wipers over the top!!!!! Even tho the Deluxe had the 40 front grill, the headlights were different! And only One S.S. strip front to back on the side of the hood. There was a knob on the top of the dash for the windshield role out mechanism. The dash was different.

More mods than the average plane on these kits.

What's a 'roll out' windshield?

Its supposed to stay in place if the car rolls. Its a bonded in type the old toughened ones you used to fit into a rubber channel pop out in an accident and particulary when a car rolls you dont want anything entering the cabin. Its also part of the cars structural strength take a windscreen out of a modern car and you can twist the body if you treat it roughly.

Don't think that's the same - a laminated, 'pop out' screen. Bill mentions a mechanism for rolling it out, so I'm guessing it folds out, upwards, like the Willys/Ford 'Jeep' maybe?

Its supposed to stay in place if the car rolls. Its a bonded in type the old toughened ones you used to fit into a rubber channel pop out in an accident and particulary when a car rolls you dont want anything entering the cabin. Its also part of the cars structural strength take a windscreen out of a modern car and you can twist the body if you treat it roughly.

Noooo.

Pretty much correct Terry......

It's hinged at the top. The knob on the dash works an arm attached to the bottom of the windsheild frame that pushes it outwards. That is why the wipers are at the top. It's the original "flow thru" ventilation. Tough to get to seal, and this is why street rodders don't like '39 Fords. Even tho the grill is like the '40 Std's. The '40 Deluxe had the three piece grill.

The back, side window flipped outwards too, hinged at the front, like the old VW's.

A bonnet is something worn on the head, and a boot is something my stepfather used to plant up my arse! And a bum bag is a fanny pack!

LMAO......
we're all okay.

Just Plane Billy Bear

I would have to do the lot I have owned.
'56 Chev 4 door HT.
'66 Chevelle Malibu 2 door
'39 Ford 4 door sedan deluxe.
'65 El Camino, a pair at one time
'97 Holden Comadore ute, present driver

but then I would have to do a
'52 Ford pickumup truck, first vehicle I drove on the road
'55 Chev 210, family car I used to drive, brown like a Baby Ruth bar.
'40 Willys Jeep, the ranch vehicle I used to drive on the peach ranch my step father worked on.

don't have enough time left to do these and all the plane kits I've got.

I took a little break from the mustang and did some work on the 49 Merc.

025.JPG

034.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back