Chance Vought F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks for the offer A4K. I ended up buying an Eduard photo etch kit when getting some other bits and pieces. I've painted it up and put it in place. Thankfully it went in quite easily and I didn't loose the smaller right hand section down in the fuselage either which I feared might happen.

Here it is (couldn't get in any closer without knocking the tail with the tripod) with the gun sight and rear canopy sections now in place. I struggled to find good references for the gunsight installation so went on what I found so I hope it's correct.

IMG_0346.JPG

The underside decals didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I used Frisket film and was pleased with the masking and everything looked okay after spraying so I had high hopes for a perfect result but they bled badly which I wasn't banking on. Then came a load of work remasking with Tamiya tape and respraying to tidy up. Not sure where I went wrong with the Frisket film - maybe I didn't burr it down well enough but it's a shame as it seemed such a good option.

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

Will show the results in the next post...

Next - some shading work on the rudder and elevators to reflect the fabric surfaces better. The elvators are done but I've just run out of paint for the rudder section though, as the Humbrol tin for the other colour dried up (very annoying Humbrol trait), so will finish it off as soon as the new tin arrives.

IMG_0343.JPG

Next - onto finishing the canopy with some of the photoetched parts that came with the instrument panel.

Here are the results of the spraying for fabric effect on the tail section and it's come out pretty good.
IMG_0363.JPG

The results of the painted insignia on the undersides after completing some tidying up. Still some touching up work needed here and there.
Starboard wing
IMG_0376.JPG

Port wing
IMG_0379.JPG

Some Pro Modellers wash was used for the panel lines.
IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Unfortunately, the 'kill' decal flew off whilst I was cleaning off the surface of small dust particles with the airbrush.:(
It looks like I need your aid here A4K if you're able to help. You wouldn't happen to have a spare kill decal in amongst any unused decals?
Any help here would be gratefully appreciated.
IMG_0367.JPG

A bit flew off the serial as well :shock: - damn nuisance.
IMG_0369.JPG

The panel lines look ok though.
IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

The wheel wells and undercarraige bar the wheels themselves. Some work left to do on the underside panel lines but
I'm not sure how much more I can do without getting into an unnecessary pickle as more fiddling can sometimes make things worse.
IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Getting ever closer to finishing...still a few things to finish off before the final matt coat.
It'll feel good when that goes on.
IMG_0362.JPG

Looking good the insignias came out nice.

Thanks woody. My first go at spraying them on (on the underside) so plenty of room for improvement. The carrier film on the topside decals shows up a bit (read somewhere of a technique for getting the film edges to blend in more so will have to source that out again). Also, still need to replace the 'kill' decal but don't have a spare.

Very nice work!
I might have some suitable 'kill' decals - what type and approximate size are they? Example plain red sun on white flag, 'rising' sun, etc ?
One thing to remember about 'Frisk' film, or the sheet version 'Friskette' - it was originally designed for graphic arts applications, and larger-scale air brush work, to provide a general mask which could be cut to shape and stuck down lightly. Very often, this means that it may not be suitable for precise line masking, as the low tack can allow 'bleed', as you discovered.
I've got it to work for such applications in the past, but probably more luck than skill, as i've also had the stuff blow right off the surface when the airbrush jet hits and edge!

Yup - the Frisk film seemed like a nice idea and I'd seen it mentioned in an old modelling book but it's just a little too 'low tack' to allow for enough burring of the edges. Oh well - worth a try and at least I know now. The decals are the rising sun type and obviously in 1/48 scale - as seen in photo 6 in post #11. Size wise they're small at 7mm x 3mm.
The underside hasn't come out as well as I'd hoped and probably looks slightly better in the photo than for real. I don't think I put enough gloss coat on it before doing the panel lines and I was afraid of overdoing it and clogging up the lines. But another coat was probably needed as cleaning up after the wash went on was tricky.

I'll see if I have any of those decals - if I have, I think they'll be a bit smaller than that though, and probably off an old Fujimi Corsair sheet.

Brilliant. Thanks very much A4K. Looks like you're saved a trawl through your stuff Terry.

This project has stalled somewhat but not gone away. Thanks to A4K I got some replacement kill decals which went straight on once I got them. Other things then took over in the big wide world and the sunny weather we're getting has taken me outside mostly so I've yet to find time to sort out one or two areas, finish it off and get some pics done. (Plus I've been trying to knock another build project I started some time back on the head as well).

Nice to see this...I have the kit in my pile, but haven't opened it yet.

I love the look of the pilot with the plane. Colors look great. You've done a fine job with the paint!

I had an unfortunate experience w/frisket as well. Instead of using it to paint insignia's, I used it to mask over decals in order to save them...I botched my weathering and decided to repaint the base colors after the decals were already on. The low tackiness of frisket film never popped into my mind. Glad I read these comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back