Chance Vought F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hotntot

Senior Airman
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Also known as:

Whistling Death; Bend-Wing Bird; Bent-Wing Ensign Eliminator; Bent-Wing Monster;
Horseshoe; Super Stuka; U-Bird, Hose Nose; Hog Nose; Sweetheart; Hog.

I was looking around for a US plane to attempt and chose the Corsair after some initial reading up. From the outset there seemed to be some variation with the interior colour scheme with the very early versions and so I went for a dark green for the cockpit (although there's some evidence that cockits were also painted black) and salmon pink for the other areas after finding some compelling research carried out by Larry Webster and Wiiliam Reece. I tried to find out if this was correct for an early Corsair serving on the USS Bunker Hill which is the version I've plummeted for from Tamiya's decal options. Some documentary evidence and the recovery of an F4U-1 from lake Michigan, US (after it went down on June 12, 1943, when its pilot, Ensign Carl H. Johnson, unsuccessfully tried to land on the USS Wolverine, a steamship that had been converted into an aircraft carrier for Navy pilots to practice takeoffs and landings) suggests it's probably correct for the period I'm depicting. Others will know a more definitive answer. The salmon pink's an interesting colour if nothing else.

IMG_0289b.jpg

Progress so far;

IMG_0238.JPG

I sprayed aluminium onto the wings and their leading edges and around the cockpit first. Afterwhich went on a protective glosscoat before using some Humbrol Maskol to hold back the top coat for some paint chips. Soon found out that the smaller the blobs of Maskol - the better. (When lifting them off with tweezers some extra top coat paint sometimes came away so I used a needle to put it on with - keeping the blobs as small as possible).

The camo curves above the wing look a bit angular - will have to 'smooth' them out a bit if poss.

IMG_0236.JPG

They didn't give it the nickname 'Hose Nose' for nothing.

IMG_0239.JPG

One day when I know what I'm doing I'll have a go at detailing an engine...

From the back;
IMG_0243.JPG

The eagle eyed will have noticed that the intrument decal has split and peeled. Very annoying to say the least. Will have to look into some sort of a repair.
IMG_0244.JPG

From above;
IMG_0246.JPG

And the side;
IMG_0245.JPG

And the underside;
IMG_0057.JPG

Onto the landing gear, canopy and other bits next.

Last edited:
Good work, and research, so far - and nicely explained and presented. Do have a sherry - it's Jan's shout!

Many thanks guys. I the interim between this and the last one I've been keeping myself busy with other stuff. Namely a Nissen hut - started some time ago and which will hopefully go into a diorama sometime in the future and still needs finishing. (But judging by gbr-22's work I'll need to up my game a bit). Then I found myself starting another project in the form of an LCM 3 (almost done) with a Sherman, still in progress, (and which has opened up a whole new area to research on) to go into it.

I think I'll concentrate on 'Whistling Death' to get it completed. Nice to have deviated for a while though.

Thanks again everyone.

Progress so far on some of the other bits and pieces.

Firstly the propeller-

IMG_0260.JPG

Some of the landing gear and other accessories.

IMG_0262.JPG

Ended up preparing the bomb as well as the aux fuel tank; but will probably put the latter on when ready.

IMG_0264.JPG

Then onto the insigna and a few of the other decals - top and sides.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

The serials could do with some more bedding down with MicroSol.

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Wing decals went on very well - a small area has lifted here but hopefuly won't matter so much after the weathering has been done.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Then on to the underside and I 've decided to have a go at painting the insignia's on to see how they come out as I've never tried this before but have seen some very good results.

IMG_0257.JPG

With all- looks great mate!

Drop us your address in a PM if you still need a Tamiya instrument panel decal - mine will be a scrapheap bird sans dash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back