Chino 2007 Airshow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heres a shot of the heritage flight for the airshow.

The pic came out fairly good considering the problems I was having with the camera.

Attachments

• Heritage Flight at Chino May 2007 c.jpg
    Heritage Flight at Chino May 2007 c.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 75
Cheers for those super shots SY.
I just love all those wonderful aircraft its a great credit to the guys behind the scenes who keep them so immaculate. I wish we had as nicer weather over her as you get in the states it really shows off those planes at there best.

Chino weather is spotty though. They get the morning haze which some show weekends never clears. But on the whole, the weather here is better for shows than I remember of the gray skies at shows in the UK.

I think that every picture I am able to take of these wonderful pieces of history is testament to the army of volunteers who work so hard to keep them flying.

Heres another of Glacier Gal.

Attachments

• Glacier Gal on Taxiway Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    Glacier Gal on Taxiway Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Heritage Flight at Chino May 2007 f.jpg
    Heritage Flight at Chino May 2007 f.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 54
I just got word that Glacier Girl, the P-38 that they dug out of the ice is appearing at Chino! I hope they fly her with 23 ski-doo. What shots that would make, 2 P-38s together in formation! YIPEE!

Funny, since Yippee is a P-38. Can't wait till they get the YP-59A flying.(maby in the 2008 show) Also, are they planning to use authentic J-31 engines?

I'm just curious if they could get their hands on some working J31s. Maby the original engines were able to be restored. I live up in the Santa Clara valey, so I hope to get a chane to go. The closest museum to me is the Wings of History Museum in San Martin ( Wings of History Museum - Home ), they don't have much in the way of military aircraft, but there's some cool stuf none the less, including the models from the Flying Lady restaraunt. The closest thing to military a/c thy have is a 3/4 scale flying replica of a WWI Stahltaube. They also have a replica of the de Havilland DH.88 Comet.
Pretty neat place though, smal place, just 2 small hangers and a prop-shop, but a nice atmosphere, and they have an anual fly-in as well as other events (often the Model-T/Model-A Ford clubs). Completely donation and volunteer based.

Though I think they are helping in some restoration work on a B-25 tht's currently at San Martin airport.

You know anybody from there?

Cool, and thanks.

It would be amazing if one of the Me-262 reproductions was shown in one of the airshows. So would a Meteor (I think it was mentioned that Planes Of Fame's Mk 4 is in decent condition, but engine-less). Add a P-80 and their Vampire and you could have all the the WWII jet fighters of the war (except Heinkel's but no more 280s and I would doubt the 162s have stood up well enough to allow flight restoration). (though I expect the Me-262 would be the least likely occurance, though the others don't seem so unlikely, especially since POF has them locally even if only static for the P-80 and Meteor) ;) Even if not all were flying it would still be cool to see them together.

Though they say to have a Flying Mk IV vampire, and to my knowledge this model was never built. (not even prototypes)

Too bad most museums are so conservative with their aircraft. If there were more living museums, maby some of the 10 or so 262s left might still be flying.

Planes of fame flies the last fully authentic Zero and P-26 and the Northrop N9M. All almost infinately more scarse than the 262, but I guess they just appreciate living history more than many others do. Hell, there are only 6 P-59s left and that's if you incluse the original prototupe and the one at Edwards AFB mounted on a pole.

Planes of Fame doesn't have a Me-262, do they. Because wikipedia lists them as having one of the survivors, but I didn't see one listed in the POF inventory online. (ps they misspelled Lockheed as Lockeed in all but one case on the POF inventory) I know they have He 162 though there was a rumor that they sold it to a german museum, I hope not. =( Messerschmitt Me 262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Museum Aircraft Inventory - The Air Museum ~ Planes of Fame

Ok, I looked it up and found out that "Marge" (the Me-262A-1a/U3, with nose replaced with the fighter-type one) was sold to Paul Allen and has been moved to Flying Heritage Collection Also it looks like they're is restoring it, possibly to flight condition? Ironicly the HFC is located very near to where the Me 262 project is and they are actually moving to a new facility based at Paine Feild, so it will be at the same location as the Me 262 project. I wonther what the project people will think if the HFC gets their original Me 262 flying right under the Me 262 project's nose. ;)
If it is restored to flight status and they decide to show it in shows, maby it'll show at Chino sometime. Have any of the FHC aircraft gone to POF before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back