CHINO PLANES OF FAME MAY 17-18, 2008

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
Always a great airshow - putting it out for all. Maybe someday a bunch of us could meet up there!

Our members from Canada have no excuse not to attend. The value of the Canadian dollar is high enough, that no one can plead "no money".

We need members from Europe to also come out, and spend some Euro's! :lol:

Micdrow, I love Thunder over Michigan. I went in 2005 for the B017 gathering and again in 2006 with my father for the BoB show. Mr Walsh and his son does a wonderful job. Grab get a seat in the photo pit, it is the only way to go. If I go, I will buy you a cold one.

DBII

I'm not sure, but I would venture to guess it would still be worth it. I shot the first year with an 80-400, second with the 50-500. But there are still plenty of shots that are do-able with the 300mm.

Micdrow, I love Thunder over Michigan. I went in 2005 for the B017 gathering and again in 2006 with my father for the BoB show. Mr Walsh and his son does a wonderful job. Grab get a seat in the photo pit, it is the only way to go. If I go, I will buy you a cold one.

DBII

Thanks DBII, appreciate that, still trying to talk my wife into it. It would be my first Thunder over Michigan so any hot tips work about the place would be great.

Thanks again Paul

You can pay extra for a photo pass and a little more for the photo pit. The pass will get you in before the general admission. It is a great time to take pictures. They moved the photo pit last year. I believe that it is at the end of the flight light where the plans turn on the runway. Their website will have information. If you can get there the Friday before, you can pay a little fee and hang out and watch the planes fly in and several of the acts practice. The pilots put on a better show friday than the weekend. Sorry I do not remember the names but the Mig pilot and the A-10 pilots where flying crazy. The Mig made several high speed passes. They even had free beer in the photo pit! My kind of airshow.

DBII

Very cool DBII

The biggest thing I was wondering is if you can actually get up and personal to look at the aircraft like at the EAA. I was hoping to get some detail shots of some of the aircraft.

You can touch them and people sit under the bombers. It will be fun. I will post some for you to see how close you can get

DBII

Very cool, biggest thing I have to do is talk my wife into it. Ive seen most of the aircraft and touched them at the EAA airventure. I would love to climb inside the Memphis Bell if they allow tours. Ive been inside the Lancaster thats coming.

You should be able to get inside one of the B-17s. It is a bargin at $5.00. Over the years I have been inside just every type flying stateside except the
A-20. If the Bell does not have tours one of the others will. The CAF's B-24 was open last year when it was in Houston. I think the Thunderbird will be there again this year and they have tours. I hope you get to go.

DBII

You should be able to get inside one of the B-17s. It is a bargin at $5.00. Over the years I have been inside just every type flying stateside except the
A-20. If the Bell does not have tours one of the others will. The CAF's B-24 was open last year when it was in Houston. I think the Thunderbird will be there again this year and they have tours. I hope you get to go.

DBII

Thanks BII,

Like you Ive been inside multiple B-17's, B-25's and a Lancaster and B-24. Ive just never been inside of a B-17F.

Thanks again for the info

Is it an F model or a G made up like an F? Either way it is a good looking plane. There are normaly several reinactors in 8th AF uniforms hanging around it in the mornings. It makes for nice pictures. Have you made it inside of FiFi? I was surprised how large it is.

DBII

Is it an F model or a G made up like an F? Either way it is a good looking plane. There are normaly several reinactors in 8th AF uniforms hanging around it in the mornings. It makes for nice pictures. Have you made it inside of FiFi? I was surprised how large it is.

DBII

Ive seen her a few times from the outside but never on the inside. The one year I was going to was the year that she ended up being grounded and has not flown since. Some day I will get inside her.

Very cool, biggest thing I have to do is talk my wife into it. Ive seen most of the aircraft and touched them at the EAA airventure. I would love to climb inside the Memphis Bell if they allow tours. Ive been inside the Lancaster thats coming.
yes the Memphis Belle allows tours at least it has at our AirShow and Geneseo speakinfg of Geneseo this year they plan to have at least 7 P 40's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back