Cockpitfest 2010

Discussion in 'Warbird Displays' started by Geedee, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#1 Geedee, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Weekend just finished was the 11 annual Cockpitfest event, staged at the Newark Air Museum. This is the event where guys who have restored a cockpit, built instrument panels, collected ejector seats, scratch built cockpits, collected huge displays of memorabilia, built flight simulators, all get together at the Newark site for a weekend of chilling out (literally !), showing off their projects to the public who visit during the event and generaly having a good old time with mates over a social. Plus of course all the swapping and bantering for parts.

This years event wasn't as well attended compared to last year. The total of visiting cockpits was down but having said that there where a number of airframes...including Terry...that hadnt been see here before. Not sure of the reason for this but the Health and Safety (bless our government !) issues that the Museum have to abide by in respect of potential radiation from old instruments may have been something to do with it. That, and the s*dding awfull weather on the Friday and the Saturday....dull, grey, overcast, windy as hell and cold enough to freeze the b*lls off a Polar Bear... probably didn't help very much in enticing the public in as well. Fortunately, on the sunday, the clouds finally parted and it warmed up a little bit and then the public came in and it was pretty much a huge improvement on the previous day.

Met up with our one and only Airframes (Terry) and had a good chat with him and Nick. And in the best tradition, the bottle of Spitfire I presented to him, was left behind !. I dunno, I drag booze half way across the country and he goes and leaves it behind !. tut !. Terry, its still behind the '51 seat.

On the sarurday evening, we had a 'hog roast' style bbq, but was beef really and very very tasty, and drinks as well, all provided by the major sponsor for the event, Flypast (yup, the one produced by Key Publishing that you have prbably all seen or even subscribe to) and hosted by Ken Ellis, the Flypast editor. On the sunday, at 14:30 we where treated to a flypast from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flights, cannon equipped Hurricane. WOW !....low and with a sound track that stopped every-one in theirtracks we had a few flybys and the off she went, wagging her wings up and down. Absolutely brilliant !.

With respect to the radiation issue, all the visiting cockpits and instrument displays, where checked by museum staff, with a little box that clicked sometimes louder than others. Nothing was deemed as dangerous for public display, and those few bits that where a little bit hotter than the others where placed back a bit so as not to be in very close contact with the visitors. For my part, I had installed the first of the replica instrument panels that Tony and I have been working on, and moved my original instrument fitted panel to the rear of the display table and that was perfectly acceptable. It should be noted that nothing was seen as too dangerous in line with current regulations, for display purposes at the event and nothing was turned away, so I'm hoping that next years event will bring back some of the familiar faces and projects that may have been put off due to uncertainty.

Right, I must apologise for the poor pics I've taken. The weather really was not very nice at all and I only managed a quick run around the visisting stuff on the Saturay eve, after the BBQ and was too busy chatting with the public on the sunday to get around as much as I wanted to. Key projects for me where the Typhoon , the Tempest, and the Hurricane. these were all new to the event and if work continues as its started, they are going to be very impressive 'planes indeed.

This first batch is basicaly a quick shot of each visiting cockpit and I'll add some other shots later on. Terry and Tony...and anyone who was there and didn't come and say hello...please add your shots as I wasn't able to get around asmuch as I wanted.

Attached Files:

2. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    Nice stuff Gary. It looks like it is coming along nicely. Some of those look like they have a ton of work put into them!

If you need a smaller flag for the cockpit, let me know, I can get you one. I hate to see the stars and stripes resting on the ground.

3. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

No disrespect meant by having the stars 'n' Bars where it was. It was doing two things, one to hide the wheel ramps I was using to pose the 'pit at the correct angle for a taildragger, and more importantly, it was advertising the fact that it was the only American setup on display. I have to say that absolutely no-one misstook its Country of origin. I had intended in getting two wooden 'masts' with a banner accross saying what the 'plane is and having the Stars 'n Bars flying form each one, but I regret to say, I ran out of time.

I have modded the offending shot. You may rest assued it wont happen again :oops:

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Great stuff Gary, some nice pics there! You're not wrong about the weather on Saturday! That cold wind really did me in - I couldn't get out of the car when we got back home!! I'd wanted to get a shot inside the Lightning F6, and the Typhoon, but missed out - ah well!
    I'll post some pics here later, when I've sorted them all. Already made a separate thread for some of the models on display.
    It was great tgo meet up with you and Tony, and just a shame we couldn't stay longer.

5. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    No problem, Gary. I know no disrespect was intended, just saving you from any grief you may get from someone later. Plus most veterans like to see their flag flying high and not touching the ground, regardless of the flag they served under. I appreciate the understanding.

The project is coming along nicely though, and I look forward to seeing more shots of it.

6. Airframes

Retired
    Here's the first batch from me, and the poor weather is evident!
    PIC 1 Is the bunch of us, and I'm sorry, I cropped the pic after resizing! Lto R, Gary, Me, Tony and may mate Mick.
    PICS 2 and 3. Scimitar, Hunter, Sea Hawk and Swiss Vampire.
    PICS 4 and 5. Tornado F3 simulator.
    PIC 6. A MkXIV SABS for sale on one of the few 'Aero Jumble' stalls, which I wanted, but couldn't find the guy who owned it! Judging by the rest of his prices, I think I would have got a bargain!
    PIC 7. Mick playing in the Jaguar cockpit !
    PIC 8. One of the Museum exhibits - Wojtek's toy 'copter, a ZP1 !!
    PICS 9 and 10. Something for Maria and Jan - Draaken in Danish colours.

Attached Files:

7. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    I'm just amazed at some of these projects - such a cool idea! Great pics Fellas, and a great job Gary!

8. Airframes

Retired
    A few more, showing some of the Museum's permanent outdoor exhibits, with the last three being another exhibitor with a Hurricane re-build.
    First the Shackleton MR3, Super Sabre, two MiG 23's, and a (relatively) rare Bucanneer S1, with the origianl Gyron Junior engines.

Attached Files:

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Flight Test Engineer
    A few of the Spit

Attached Files:

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Flight Test Engineer
    And now....time for something completely different.....it was great to meet everyone....

Attached Files:

11. Airframes

Retired
    Great pics Tony. I was trying to get that BEA Anglia/Thames van in the same pic as the Heron, but there was a stupid modern car spoiling the shot.

12. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Lovely pics guys, keep em coming.

Heres a few candid shots that appealed to my sense of humour.

No1 early attempt at hang gliding experiments failed at the Museum, despite ferocious levels of wind

No2 Is this an early afterburner ?

No 3 The optimists throttle

No 4 well.....I did say it was cold...even the manequins had to keep warm somehow !!!

Attached Files:

• cf1.jpg
      cf1.jpg
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
    • cf2.jpg
      cf2.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
    • cf3.jpg
      cf3.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • cf5.jpg
      cf5.jpg
      File size:
      101.5 KB
      Views:
  13. B-17engineer

B-17engineer Active Member

model builder
    Looks like you guys had fun as well!!

Thanks for the pictures!

14. Gnomey

Gnomey World Travelling Doctor
    Staff Member Moderator

Doctor
    Home Page:
    Great stuff!

15. Airframes

Retired
    Nice ones Gary !

16. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    Great stuff guys. I can't wait to see your project done Gary. Excellent work sir.:thumbright: :cool:

17. Vic Balshaw

Vic Balshaw Well-Known Member

Retired
    What great pictures guys who would have thought that keeping cockpits was such a prolific hobby and to get them all in one place, how lucky you all are. You also got one up on us Aussies as well, you had a photo taken, good on ya's all. Shame the weather was so mean, I thought it was summer over there........................

:hotsun: :hotsun:

18. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    No Vic summer was last friday 3.00-4.17 pm

Hey Dogsbody where's the tache gone ???????????

19. Airframes

Retired
    Er...I slipped, OK? (trimming with a razor and it sort of went too far mate!!!)

20. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    razor or samuri sword !!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock::lol: