Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

La Mona! Don't eat the model! I agree with Turbo's options. If you do request a part from Revell, be prepared to wait. It took three tries and 2 months for me to get the correct part but it did come!

So sorry to hear of your 'Doggie Disaster'! It's so frustrating when something like that happens. Believe me, I have lots of experience on the Lanc. I think your best bet would be to try for a new canopy. That crack in the centre looks like it goes all the way through the perspex and would be very difficult to make disappear. If you're fairly sure that you can replace it, you could first try cutting out the damaged panels and replacing them with clear plastic or acetate, as mentioned by Turbo. That's what I think I'll have to do to rescue my Lanc rear turret glass.

Gerry

I appreciate your advice, Kirby; I agree that the incident is somewhat frustrating, could be worse :dead:; ... I remembered your unfortunate incident with your Lanc, Gerry, and the way you are getting ahead. That's an example to follow! =D>; ... mine is small and another opportunity to practice and improve my skills in this. 8-[

Even for the front window I will follow turbo´s sequence of recommendations. :eyeslam:

I'll start with 1, if it does not work, I'm still with 2 and I hope I do not have to get to 3 (so we kindly comments Robert - and here in Mexico I do not think it's the exception, with slow delivery times! ), ... and 4 is out, because I still do not enter that level of professionalism (but is considered for the near future!)

It will be something new to try, and I will keep you all abreast of the results after this canine battle damage !!
The best of luck Gerry with your Lanc rear turret glass.

regards y muchas gracias! :thumbup:

That's a real stroke of bad luck - and the dog is still living !!
I've ordered parts on-line from Revell, and they usually take around 4 weeks from the USA, and maybe 2 to 3 weeks from Germany.
Alternatively, there's a canopy and Bombardier's nose glazing set available as vac-formed parts, from Squadron, which you should be able your find on your side of the Atlantic.

B-24 canopy set.jpg

Thanks Terry, I'll have your information in sight, should I not solve it sooner.

The Mona is doomed to lose her privileges to move around the house. I negotiated his life for my right to continue living in this house ...:dontknow:

:thumbup:

Still looking through my books for info on those colored markings. Found the same left profile photo as yours a few posts ago in Warbird Tech and the caption says "Festooned with colorful paint spots where combat skin patches were made..........." Several more books to go
It is an unknown yet to be solved.
Now, will they be patches on each hit marked? Or repaired or changed the affected canvas and indicated where each impact was.
In the photos I found on the net, they seem to be painted on the skin, ... and they do not look like patches.
The colors (as already mentioned) differentiate the type of weapon that caused it, ... but which is which? Thanks Geo for continuing to try to get out of doubt. :thumbup:

They are very good photos George. It is the only photo I have found with the original image of "The Squaw", not a very good photo, but I have not seen another. On some side I read of the reasons (some obvious), of putting some clothes to the Indian lady.

:thumbup:

Found this photo here with several other photos of your aircraft 41-11761 | American Air Museum in Britain

Captain Royden L Lebrecht, pilot of the famous B-24 #4111761 "The Squaw", pointing to ack-ack holes in the much traveled combat ship. Fort Worth, TX.

Very interesting the link that you share Geo; ... I found another photo of the original emblem ...

media-14397.jpg

With this description that says:
"The Original Squawk nose art of B-24 Liberator # 4111761 'The Squaw' 'Sleepy' 343rd BS, 98th BG, 9th AF Survivor of 1st Aug 43 Ploesti oil refinery raid Return to the USA for war bonds tour The Squaw art Work was later toned down for the war bond tour. "

And I did not know that the left side had this image originally during its service in 71 missions !!

media-14395.jpg

... with this textual description:
"The Original Squawk nose art of B-24 Liberator # 4111761 'The Squaw' 'Sleepy' 343rd BS, 98th BG, 9th AF Survivor of 1st Aug 43 Ploesti oil refinery raid Return to the USA for war bonds tour The Squaw art Work was later toned down for the war bond tour. "

Very interesting all that I have seen with reference to "The Squaw" "Sleepy", his history, missions, crew, etc. :salute:
You can look for other airplanes, squadrons and crew members.

Very enriching, thank you for sharing it Geo. :thumbup:

The size of my Lib, it hardly fits in this folding table that I have for when I require more space.

577.jpg

I untied the wings and made the "first" attempt to attach the rear stabilizer ...

579.jpg

580.jpg

581.jpg

The following has been a big dilemma :onlyamother:, I've been thinking a lot about the solution and I really think I'll have to live with it. :-#
The interior of the rear turret is painted the corresponding chrome yellow color and seeing that the union of the two transparent pieces could not be removed, I decided to paint the interior and therefore the exterior, to the edge of the rear piece.
After the pieces were joined, filed and sanded, masked, painted and mounted in place ... I was not convinced the finish, and even there are some small drops of MKK that are notorious ... what a dilemma ](*,)! Separate parts again, make corrections, clean the glass part of the paint, clean, polish and re-attach, ... :dead:

582.jpg

There is a slight difference of tone in the union of the fuselage with the stabilizer (indicate the arrows), that can be solved without major problem ...

583.jpg
584.jpg

I was taking these two photos, when I finished and manipulated the plane to take the photos from the bottom, ... the stabilizer came off ...:-&. I noticed that there was practically no clean contact between the pieces. I had to remove paint from small spaces where there is contact between the two pieces to be joined. :-({|=

585.jpg

... and then re-prepare the join and make sure it looks good this time. :-k

see you soon...:thumbup:

Looking great. I hope you can get the tail problem sorted out soon.

Also that's true B-24 models require a lot of room. My ones are of 1/33 scale and needed a whole table to put together.

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back