Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Hello there,
I have a few days to gather information and images of what will be my tenth plane at this scale.
But on this occasion I decided to encourage me to do this big heavy bomber. :tongue8:

It will also be the largest model airplane that because of its size ever built in. Many years ago I built it with several four-engine ... but 1/72 scale.

The version I will make this beautiful monster is:

Consolidated B-24D-20-CO, 98th Bomber Group, 343th Bomber Squadron; Brindisi, Italien; auf "Bond Tour in den USA, Winter 1943

... And the original photo is ...

1a.jpg

I liked this version by the color of the fuselage, however the color code that bring instructions is a bit confusing in my opinion.

2a.jpg

3a.jpg
4a.jpg

If anyone of you has the number of FS or formula in Tamiya, Humbrol and Vallejo, I appreciate it. :salute::salute:

Resorting to experts, if they have any recommendations for this Revell model it is well received.

I realized that all panels are "skipped" so it will be a good task to make them correctly; for what will be a new task that I will perform for the first time ...!

I hope you join me in this new venture and have their valuable feedback.

See you soon "compadres" :thumbup:

Luis Carlos
SANCER

As memo serves the colour on tops and sides was called Sand shade 49 or just Desert Tan/Pink. It was the ANA 616 Sand, later the ANA 26 Sand. Approximately it can be FS30279. But the colour is a little bit lighter than the ANA616 and slightly lighter and less pink than the ANA 26.A good paint can be the Testors 1167 or 1567, Vallejo Air 71.140 - US Desert Sand FS30279, Agama A20 - Desert Pink FS 30279, LifeColor Desert Sand 49 FS 30279, Humbrol 250,

fs30279.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent reference and information about my bird ... are some amazing photos ... to study hard !!, Thanks Andy

Also start to see my existences, check in stores modeling and the best option for that color. Thanks Wojtek

Keep in touch... :thumbup:

Back to the colours the instruction says... what is wrong with them?

For the top colour it calls for the mixture of the Revell 15 ( yellow) with the Revell 89 (beige) , the ratio 6:4. I would say that some of red or pink should be added too. Also I would say that if there wouldn't be added the red or pink colour the ratio should be 4:6 what means more of the beige paint that is more pinkish than the yellow one.
And for the undersides it suggests the Revell 49 Light Blue what can match the Azur Blue. However a reference for the B-24 calls the Natural Grey coat there.
All paints should be of the matt type.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for their interventions ... I have spent several hours reviewing the colors that will be used in the process; reviewing charts of colors, brands and comparative tables. The tips that you shared Wojtek have enlightened me a lot.
Really just I have to buy two colors, so I'm on the other side! (It is a saying used here in Mexico...:thumbleft:)

B-24D-The-Squaw-North-Africa-CaptainRoydenI.jpg

I hope to go bit by bit preparing the pieces ...

Muchas gracias y hasta pronto... :thumbup:

:thumbright: :thumbleft:

A note here... one of references for the B-24 says that the Sand paint was getting the pinkish tinge while being faded.

Thanks W., ..you mean that pink hue that acquires due to sun and weather wear?
I opted to use paints Vallejo for the outside and with lighter shades, take it to such large monochrome surfaces.
On the process, my doubts and comments may whet the way.
I am convinced that I will learn very interesting things (from our hobby, skills and this wonderfull bomber)

Excelente fin de semana a todos!! :thumbup::icecream:

Last edited:
I'm still collecting some information that I may have, but I can assume started my fourth worktable !! \\:D/

B-24D Liberator, Revell 1/48

the Box Art

box art.jpg

I started to shape the cabin, with some improvements to missing details.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Among several images, this is the most descriptive ...

B24-Cockpit_USAF.jpg

... I have material for the front and side panels ...:eeeeek:

The pictures...

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I'm still with the dilemma of color to use. :-k
I have pictures and references with different tones.
If any of you have the more specific information of my version, I'm going to thank. :toothy9::signthanks:

Even I can see that inside the fuselage (pump room and area of machine guns) also has a different tone with respect to the cabin and I have pictures in various colors. I try to guide me of those showing the original color; but I go back to the same, what color was in the version I'm starting to do? :cuteandinnocent::signhelp:

I appreciate your visits, hope you enjoy the trip, and all comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

See you soon...:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

The IPMS Stockholm site says ... "Like the B-17, late-model B-24s are believed to have used Dark Dull Green in the forward crew areas, with remainder of the fuselage and waist-gun areas left in natural metal. Early camouflaged models had Zinc Chromate Yellow interiors."

Yep, in general, the cockpit, radio room and nose compartment was the Dark Dull Green. quite close to Bronze Green. The bomb bay could be Interior Green, or one of the shades of Chromate, more towards the green than yellow tinges.
Waist area from the hatch into the bomb bay and aft, varied between a Chromate finish, and Interior Green, to clear-coated bare metal, although the latter seems to be more on the late 'J' models.
The earlier model D and on to the early 'H' and some early 'J' models tended to have a painted finish in the waist/rear fuselage. It's no wonder, with so many variations, that the 'Lib' was also known a 'The Consolidated Mess' !
Gary (Geedee) has posted a lot of interior pics of the Collings Foundation aircraft, which, in general, is a good guide to interior colours, as it has been accurately preserved.

Thanks for the timely comments Wojtek and Terry, I have the colors and just be playing around with tones ... maybe a little blue ....

Here are some photos of the cabin ...

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

... And some of the interior

Pic-15.jpg

Pic-16.jpg

Pic-17.jpg

Pic-31.jpg

Pic-49.jpg

Pic-54.jpg

Iam going to give the time to find the photos of Gary.:salute: