Cooking and Recipes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spaghetti Bolognese (my modified quickish version)

I'm writing this from memory so may have forgotten somethings. Should be good for around 3 or 4 servings, and probably works out less than a pound per serving as well, cheap and easy, just like me :D.

Cook the Spaghetti or other pasta type, whatever you prefer (I assume you know how to do this as it's incredibly easy)

Ingredients
Onion
250-500g mince (Beef of Tuna [1 of the larger cans, depending on serving size is usually enough] is my usual preferred choice, I guess you can use others as well)
Mixed herbs
Red wine
Garlic
Olive oil
Chopped tomatoes
Tomato concentrate

- Chop up onion however you like (some like it in tiny pieces some prefer larger pieces)

- Heat up sauce pan to mid range heat, tip in some olive oil then add in the chopped onion, then stir it around a bit for a couple minutes until the onion looks like it has been lightly cooked.

- Add mince and mix it all up with the onion

- Continue mixing it around until the meat becomes brown and starts looking a little dry, probably around 10mins or so, then add in about a glass of red wine to moisten it up again.

- Continue mixing it around for another couple of minutes then add in can of chopped tomatoes (you can use peeled tomatoes or even fresh ones prepared similarly if you're really anal about it, but for 16p a can it's homebrand store bought chopped tomatoes for me ;))

- Continue stirring it up, add in a healthy dose of mixed herbs in to spice up the flavour, I like to put in quite a bit.

- After stirring that in, get the (fresh) garlic and depending on how strong you like it, get one or more cloves, pull the skin off and push them through a garlic press and into the saucepan. If you dont have a garlic press you can do it the hardway by just chopping it into tiny pieces with a knife.

- Stir this some more, then add in a reasonable dose of tomato concentrate (AKA tomato paste in some places) you can get small bottles of the stuff here or a squeezeable tube, so whichever you have just put the lot in. You will probably need to stir this more frequently as if you leave it for more than a minute or so it can start to bubble and pop like a lava pool sending nasty tomato stains everywhere, so keep stirring to release that escaping gas, after around 5mins of this it should be pretty much ready.

Best served with a decent red wine.

Another good one is a decent homemade hamburger or pizza but they are so variable in ingredients depending on personal preferences that it's often different each time.

Seeing as how we have New Zealands best Oysters about 3 KM down the coast. Here is the best BBQ recipe

Finely chopped red onion
Lean smoked bacon finely chopped
Avocado Oil
Fine Batch Brewed Soy Sauce (Kikoman etc)
couple of dozen 1/2 shell oysters.

fry bacon and onion together.

Sprinkle over Oysters.

about 1 teaspoon of Soy sauce in each shell.

Place on the grill until soy sauce just starts to bubble.

Pig out to hearts content. :lol:

I love the asian foods
heres a simple one
Kani Maki (sushi rolls)

seaweed wrap
Crap sticks
Sticky rice
and that thing they use to roll sushi

spread the Sea weed on the sushi roller thing
put rice and spread it too on the sea weed
then put the crab sticks on one end of the rice
roll it up starting from the side u put crab sticks on
then cut it up in small sections
get some soy sauce and wasabe then eat it

european food tastes kinda tasteless to me, unless i put some hot sauce etc

Thanks for a the recipes so far guys.

On Saturday I am cooking an 8lb Prime Rib with Baked Potatoes. Will tell you how it goes and post some pictures of this great piece of meat!

most of the time, i bring a jar of this thing i made to put a little kick into the food

i get some Jalapenos, Philippine chile and Indonesian chile and i just crush it up in the mortar and wait till it dries. then i add it to the Jar it goes well with (some) of the tasteless foods, like fish n' chips

how spicy are the foods u guys can take anyways?

Snapper A La Perfecto.

1 X Boat
1 X Hauraki Gulf about 500 metres from the house
1 X Fishing Rod
1 X Snapper (good pan size)

Quick fillet and de-bone

Sliver the meat across the grain on a good angle.

Dip in Kikoman Soy Sauce.

Sip Speights Beer.

Rock on Summer. :D

loomaluftwaffe said:
how spicy are the foods u guys can take anyways?

I can take quite a lot of spice, but when I have a curry or something I have a mild one, because when food is too hot all you get is the heat and no real flavour....

I eat whatever is given to me today it was the day old Chicken kiev at wolfgang pucks its free and does not require washing dishes

cheddar cheese said:
I can take quite a lot of spice, but when I have a curry or something I have a mild one, because when food is too hot all you get is the heat and no real flavour....
I'm used to it, i eat the chili in my backyard Curry isn't really supposed to be that spicy, it's the flavor

I love hot food, but on the dishes that are meant for it, for instance Mexican, cajun or Southern italian. I don't like to just dump chili on anyhing, i.e on french fries.

A very simple spaghetti 'Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino' (garlic, oil and chili), if well done, is one of the little marvel of the world !
And if is too hot, just eat a bit of good bread and have a sip of red wine!

Well I dont have the pictures because I left my camera in my flight bag at work on friday, but todays 8lb Prime Rib was amazing.

Heres the recipe:

1 8lb Rib Roast (too much meat for the amount of people that were eating at my place today)

1 Garlic Clove
Old Bay Seasoning
Salt
Olive Oil
2 cans of Beef Broth

Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C). Pour 1 can of Beef Broth in roasting pan. Take Rib Roast and cut small slits at varying depths into the meat and place small stips of garlic into the slits and reseal the slits. Rub Olive Oil on to the outside of the meat and then rub salt and old bay seasoning onto outside of meat. The amount depends on your taste, I dont recommend too much because the meat is flavorable eneogh plus you have the garlic in the inside.

Put Roasting Pan with Prime Rib into oven and cool for as long as desired. For Medium Rare the way I like my Prime Rib I roasted it for about 25 minutes per pound and it came out perfect. Starting out brown near the outside, turning more and more pink in the middle until it was bloody in the center!

Once the meat is done, take the juices from the pan and put into pot and pour a can of beef broth into pot. Salt and pepper to flavor. Cut the bones off of the Prime Rib and place into pot and boil for approx 10 minutes. This makes your dipping or over pouring sauce.

Damn this meal was great!

Prime Rib is the best meat you can buy (most butchers will agree because it is very tender (mine today you could cut through it with your knife like it was butter) and flavorable. It also is the most expensive meat. I paid $69.69 for my 8lb of it.

Serve it with what you like. I prefer baked potatos with fresh bacon bits, sour cream, chive onions, and cheddar and nice feta cheese salad.

LMFAO, you guys kill me!!! J/K, I cook on the grill, using Dale's seasoning, but man, I never thought I'd see you all this excited about cooking...

That just hits my funny bone...

LMFAO!!!!!!!

Bullockracing said:
For a bunch of hardasses you all sure sit around and talk an awful lot about cooking... This was the last topic I thought I'd see here...

You bunch of women, lol!!!

What the hell is wrong with that?!:!: Ever noticed how the best chefs in the world are actually men. Let me guess you are going to throw out some comment about how "Yeah and there all Gay! Ha Ha Ha Ha!"

A real man knows how to cook, and I dont mean Velveta Shells and Cheese.

I enjoy cooking real food and my wife really enjoys it as well, since she comes home from school really late.

You should try it sometime before knocking it. Just because you cook, does not make you any less "manly".

Actually Adler, I do cook, but I don't post as much as you all do about it. There's just something about the take-no-prisoners and suffer-no-wusses attitude on this site that makes a thread on cooking seem excruciatingly funny to me...

Wow, Chris the pictures...
icon_dribble.gif
icon_dribble.gif
icon_dribble.gif
icon_dribble.gif
icon_dribble.gif
icon_dribble.gif

Bullockracing said:
Actually Adler, I do cook, but I don't post as much as you all do about it. There's just something about the take-no-prisoners and suffer-no-wusses attitude on this site that makes a thread on cooking seem excruciatingly funny to me...

:lol:

that is kinda true
Real Mexican food is bland pieces of sh*t I'd rather even eat Filipino food (i dislike most Filipino food)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back