Cooking and Recipes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No Bullo, fashion designers are all men and (almost) all gay! :)

About cooks, you should read 'Kitchen Confidential' by Anthony Bourdain if you want to have an highlight of professional cooking.

And Looma, I have to disagree about dumping 'true' Mexican food. I like very much the 'poor' and 'simple' traditional food, either coming from Italy, Mexico, USA or Argentina (where the poor traditional food is a cut of carne asada)

I don't like for instance the elaborated French kitchen, full of dressings, juices and things that are nice to see and maybe surprisingly tasting but in my opinion kills the true essence of the food.

What about Filipino traditional kitchen? Can you tell us more? They shoud have very good ways to manage fish...

I live in the city, i'm not that familiar with the traditional kitchen, it's usually the usual tropical style, frying fish above a grill with bagoong (fermented salted fish warning, strong odour)

and a favorite of many Filipinos, Lechon kawali
It's jut a whole pig with a stick stuck into roasting above an open fire for hours, and u have to constantly turn the stick to roll the poor little pig

well, my favorite Filipino food is this really spicy stuff, Bicol Express, coming from Region 5 where all the typhoons are

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp garlic chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fresh chopped ginger
s2 tbsp dilao (fresh tumeric) i dunno what it is but i just ask my mom for some
1 1/2 tbsp hot chili peppers (labuyo chili)
1 1/2 bagoong alamang (see above)
6 cups coconut cream
2 cups hot green peppers (fresh elingated sliced diagonally)
1 1/2 cup red bell pepper (fresh elongated, sliced diagonally)

saute garlic in hot oil
add onions and cook till translucent
stir in fresh ginger, dilao and sliced cooked pork, tir continually for 5 mins
add the bagoong and hot chili (labuyo) stir until pork is completely covered in mixture. (about 15 minutes.) Pour in 6 cups of coconut cream and add the sliced hot green and red peppers. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes. Add salt if necessary.

i cant take pictures cause my camera lens will fog up, warning this food is very spicy and must only be eaten if u can eat chili

damn i can cook at this age

I remember years ago, one of the guys in my barracks wrote a hotpot cookbook. We weren't allowed any kind of portable stove, but hotpots were allowed. This guy was gourmet with the hotpot. It was simply amazing.

Bullockracing said:
Actually Adler, I do cook, but I don't post as much as you all do about it. There's just something about the take-no-prisoners and suffer-no-wusses attitude on this site that makes a thread on cooking seem excruciatingly funny to me...

Perhaps there is more to cooking than over a grill, eh Bullock?

Attachments

• Redneck Campfire Grill.jpg
    Redneck Campfire Grill.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 106
ok me and a friend are having annother of our interesting debates, this time bun related, ok so when making most bread products you mix everything together into a dough before baking yes? ok well she's saying the mixture you get before baking buns is not called a dough, is this true?

From the "Green" Days.

Survival Chicken.

1 helmet
some dirt
some water

put dirt in helmet, add water make a thick mud.

wrap mud around 1 hedgehog.
throw in side of fire, turning every now and then
after about an hour break dirt off with stick
cacked mud pulls skin and sharp bits off you "Chicken"
throw out guts.

eat.

Not nice, but it is eatable.

Our preference when on Survival ex.

Farmer loses 1 x sheep. :lol:

no help on the bun question then?

and if a farmer catches you stealing a sheep he will shoot you on the spot, and if you survive, prosecute you to the full extent of the law..........

loomaluftwaffe said:
that is kinda true
Real Mexican food is bland pieces of sh*t

What are you talking about. "Real" Mexican food is very good. "Real" as in what you get in Mexico not what you get in the local supermarket or Taco Bell that people like to call Mexican food. It has a very good taste.

The only problem is that Mexican food tends to give me heart burn and upset my stomach. I do like the flavor though.

I've been to mexico, ive eaten in gourmet restaurants to little taquerias on the street, they are too bland for a kid who'se eaten Bicol Express and those really hot Thai food (they WROK!)
and yes i meant real mexican food, they were so surprised that i found their strongest salsa as bland, i had to put lots of fresh Jalapeno

Back in high school, I had a friend from Malaysia who used to say the same thing. I thought he was nuts, but then I had lunch over at his place one day. His sister made us some traditional Malaysian rice pudding stuff (I forget the proper name of it), and I thought it was gonna burn a hole in my guts. He sat there laughing his a*s off while I ran and stuck my mouth around the kitchen faucet. :lol:

the lancaster kicks *** said:
no help on the bun question then?

and if a farmer catches you stealing a sheep he will shoot you on the spot, and if you survive, prosecute you to the full extent of the law..........

Seeing as you're still alive and not in jail, you must be awfully good at doing it then.

Nonskimmer said:
Back in high school, I had a friend from Malaysia who used to say the same thing. I thought he was nuts, but then I had lunch over at his place one day. His sister made us some traditional Malaysian rice pudding stuff (I forget the proper name of it), and I thought it was gonna burn a hole in my guts. He sat there laughing his a*s off while I ran and stuck my mouth around the kitchen faucet. :lol:
water will not help, you use rice for that
you can't compare to the asian food, when i make noodles, i almot always put chili, crushed cayenne, chili seeds (thats the spicy part) and some spicy thai shrimp, thats why i get to eat all i want without anyone having to bother me

Nonskimmer said:
Back in high school, I had a friend from Malaysia who used to say the same thing.
same thing about what? Mexican food? you think it's spicy? and curry?

the lancaster kicks *** said:
no, no help at all with the bun question? this is important you know..........

Lanc, is she referring to the term "proof"? You "proof" dough before you bake it. "Proof"ing is allowing the dough to rise prior to putting it into the oven. However, the dough is still referred to as dough. Just "proof"ed dough.

yeah what i'm asking is is it still called dough when you're making buns? i say it is, she say it isn't...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back