Country Music?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Think that you two might be on different planets.....

Nah, not different planets. I'm from Minnesota, he hails from Texas. Now that you mention it, it could just as well be different planets. Don't get me wrong, ain't nothin wrong with Shania, I just don't think his wife would actually be down with the whole thing if it actually came to fruition, thats all;)

In reality, she would probably castrate me by way of my ear if I did. But we have fun with it. She laughs and teases me all the time when a Shania song come on or she is on the tv.

All things being fair, her Hollywood excuse is John Michael Montgomery. So I have fun that every time his songs come on I tell her, "You know he is gay, right?"

Wow, thats a lot of hatin' for country music. I sputtered out a few responses before I got to the end of the thread but have (wisely) decided that wouldn't be the best addition to this discussion.

Honestly it is quite unfair to heap so much abuse on everything that is (un)lucky enough to get the label "Country Music". Like most music; producers and critics have to put labels on an artist(band) so they know how to sell them or critique them. We all know that music all too often defies such generalization and the limitations of labeling.
I'll grant that most of what is labeled "Country Music" today is more akin to formulaic pop tunes with western style outfits and maybe a fiddle or steel guitar to lend some authenticity. Most of what is played on popular country radio is just "Pop" and not "Country". I'd like to quote a Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son) album: "Lets put the 'O' back in Country".

Popular acts like Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, etc. are not real country for me and I don't care for it myself. Howvere there are some talented singer/songwriters even in the more mainstream of "Country" like Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, Miranda Lambert and even some older folks like Alan Jackson. They are writing good stories about living and working and loss....at times that may sound kinda cheesy...but there are some decent honest story tellers out there. on top of this they have some skill with setting these stories to familiar rhythms.
Why do people like Country...I get that its probably a cultural thing; I understand its often regional and may depend on where you grew up; I also know its way too acceptable to poke fun at a southern accent and dismiss them completely. However when someone has exceptional musical talent or amazing technical skills on an instrument AND they are honestly (that is a key point here)...honestly putting their soul into their craft how could a reasonable person not give them at least some grudging respect.

I would humbly suggest that when you have the time, take a listen to some of the artists that I've listed below...some old, some new:

Johnny Cash: Everyone should know at least one song by the man in black.
Doc Watson: Amazing skills on a guitar (flat-top picker) and a living legend. Doc Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a festival in North Carolina each year named after his son (Merle) that is filled with mountain/bluegrass music.
Hank Williams III: Grandson of THE Hank Williams, he is a bit of a paradox. Hank Williams III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia His own self-titled albums so twangy, soaked with steel guitar its like 1950 down in the bayou. Other times he is hardcore punk in bands like A$$jack or playing bass with one of the crew from Pantera.
Tift Merritt: Voice like an angel and some beautiful songs from a talented songwriter. Tift Merritt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rather scattered list and just a few artists I had on my mind. So, please don't be so hasty in hating that lonesome fiddle....or paddle faster when you hear that banjo playing...you may just be missing out on a great field party. :)

(ahem....) Yee-Haw!!!
Derek

Last edited:
Actually Derek, I don't mind country music, it's just not my favorite. I really like Shania, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, and Carrie Underwood, with a smattering of other artists. I also think Jennifer Nettles and Christian Bush are two of them most talented people in modern country. I can also listen to Brad Pasley, Lady Antibellum, Brooks and Dunn, and a few others. And I could stare at Kellie Pickler all day long!!!!!

I was actually in Miranda Lambert's hometown of Lindale, Texas about 3 hours ago (no, I didn't see her or Blake).

And as far as talent on a musical instrument, how about a little Roy Clark or Chet Atkins?

Last edited:
Wow, thats a lot of hatin' for country music. I sputtered out a few responses before I got to the end of the thread but have (wisely) decided that wouldn't be the best addition to this discussion.

Honestly it is quite unfair to heap so much abuse on everything that is (un)lucky enough to get the label "Country Music". Like most music; producers and critics have to put labels on an artist(band) so they know how to sell them or critique them. We all know that music all too often defies such generalization and the limitations of labeling.
I'll grant that most of what is labeled "Country Music" today is more akin to formulaic pop tunes with western style outfits and maybe a fiddle or steel guitar to lend some authenticity. Most of what is played on popular country radio is just "Pop" and not "Country". I'd like to quote a Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son) album: "Lets put the 'O' back in Country".

Popular acts like Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, etc. are not real country for me and I don't care for it myself. Howvere there are some talented singer/songwriters even in the more mainstream of "Country" like Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, Miranda Lambert and even some older folks like Alan Jackson. They are writing good stories about living and working and loss....at times that may sound kinda cheesy...but there are some decent honest story tellers out there. on top of this they have some skill with setting these stories to familiar rhythms.
Why do people like Country...I get that its probably a cultural thing; I understand its often regional and may depend on where you grew up; I also know its way too acceptable to poke fun at a southern accent and dismiss them completely. However when someone has exceptional musical talent or amazing technical skills on an instrument AND they are honestly (that is a key point here)...honestly putting their soul into their craft how could a reasonable person not give them at least some grudging respect.

I would humbly suggest that when you have the time, take a listen to some of the artists that I've listed below...some old, some new:

Johnny Cash: Everyone should know at least one song by the man in black.
Doc Watson: Amazing skills on a guitar (flat-top picker) and a living legend. Doc Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a festival in North Carolina each year named after his son (Merle) that is filled with mountain/bluegrass music.
Hank Williams III: Grandson of THE Hank Williams, he is a bit of a paradox. Hank Williams III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia His own self-titled albums so twangy, soaked with steel guitar its like 1950 down in the bayou. Other times he is hardcore punk in bands like A$$jack or playing bass with one of the crew from Pantera.
Tift Merritt: Voice like an angel and some beautiful songs from a talented songwriter. Tift Merritt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rather scattered list and just a few artists I had on my mind. So, please don't be so hasty in hating that lonesome fiddle....or paddle faster when you hear that banjo playing...you may just be missing out on a great field party. :)

(ahem....) Yee-Haw!!!
Derek

I agree with much of what you've pointed out. Point being much of what it being passed as country nowadays is Pop, nut much of a difference. Brad Paisley is an amazing guitarist, and he doesn't overdo the nasally-twang country voice that so many others rely upon, too gimicky for me. Not sure I would class Doc Watson as country, but he is an amazing flat/finger picker. I could listen to him play all day long.
Chet Atkins is in a class all by himself. Got a couple DVD concerts of him just playing and he is truly amazing, can't carry a tune in a bucket but he can play. I also listen to Union Station with Allison Krause, that group has some amazing talent in it.
If you like Doc and Chet, do yourself a favor and look up a fellow Minnesotan named Pat Donahue. Amazing finger-picker.
What do all these performers have in common? I don't think I've ever seen any of them in a sparkly, sequenced outfit;)

Last edited:
I do not like most new country, there are a few exceptions. There are good and bad artists in every genre. Too many terrible rock, country, pop, rap acts, and very few ones that last.

Buck, your spot on with Union Station and Allison Krause, even though I consider them more blue grass than country.

I've mellowed now with a few cold frothy beverages so I hope I didn't sound too harsh earlier. Buck, thanks for the tip on Pat Donahue! He can pick some mean guitar and I saw a youtube clip of him down this way at Merlefest (reference above) picking out a funny tune called "Irish blues".

If you dig that flat-top picking and wrenching all you can out of an acoustic gee-tar; have you ever heard of Wayne Henderson? I'll post a youtube clip below. His amazing skills as a luthier are only surpassed by his skills at picking.
Watch and be amazed....I'm getting another cold one. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgw_pplZ-Q

Yep, Copperhead Road and Guitar Town by Steve Earle are both good tunes!

I think if you only listen to one genre of music, you really are missing a lot. There's a huge amount of good music out there in every genre, and you might be missing out on some really great stuff.

Hope I didn't raise your blood pressure too much Mudpuppy. I like poking fun at country music, but do the same for hip-hop, gansta rap, pop, etc... As I've stated before I don't find much of modern country to appealing, to gimmicky, and overproduced. There are always a few exceptions.
Saw Pat Donahue up here in a little coffee shop with about 50 other people in the place, he put on quite a show for us. No wonder he is the house Guitarist for Garrison Keillors A Prairie Home Companion show. Check out his CD American Guitar, probabaly some of his best work.

Sounds like a good time, have fun, and be sure to listen to lots of good old fashioned Country and Bluegrass music. I actually do like Bluegrass a lot.
Someday I'm hoping to make it to your neck of the woods and go to Merlefest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back