Covid-19 reports

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if something else is going on that is making the peoples of that area less likely to catch it as well.
... a possibility is previous exposure to a similar covid-strain that was regional but never went pandemic .. this 'theory' has been postulated to account for the Chinese population's first responded back last January .... and let's be honest ..... we in the West put our immune systems at risk - letting them get lazy and bored - by doing everything under the sun to avoid immune system 'challenges'.
Kids should eat 'dirt' IMO and adults shouldn't stop ....

Italy report, 13th December, weekly changes
cases 1,843,712, +114,834, deaths 64,520 +4,442*, recovered 1,093,161, +179,667, active cases 686,031, -69,275, tests 24,215,726, +1,090,062, people tested 13,971,600, +461,446
* first time growth go down in the 2nd wave
fatality rate 3.5% (=)
mortality rate 1,070 per million (+74)
test rate 401.5 per thousand (+18.1)
positive rate 13.2% (+0.4)
test rate this week 18,072 per million (-3,665)
positive rate this week 24.9% (+0.5)
new case rate this week 1,904 per million (-478)

My town Mayor told me that he not more do news on the covid infections, as last there were 7 active cases yesterday

Italy report, 20th December, weekly changes
cases 1,953,185, +109,473, deaths 68,799 +4,279, recovered 1,261,626, +168,465, active cases 622,760, -63,271, tests 25,129,125, +913,399, people tested 14,289,494, +317,894
fatality rate 3.5% (=)
mortality rate 1,141 per million (+71)
test rate 416.6 per thousand (+15.1)
positive rate 13.7% (+0.5)
test rate this week 15,143 per million (-2,929)
positive rate this week 34.4% (+9.5)* *this is not good or is very bad
new case rate this week 1,815 per million (-89)

And just 'round the corner -
The holiday season,
But why be merry?
Is there even one reason?
To decorate the house
And put up the tree,
When no one will see it,
No-one but me.
But outside my window
The snow gently falls,
And I think to myself,
Let's deck the halls!
So, I gather the ribbon,
The garland and bows,
As I play those old carols,
My happiness grows.
Christmas ain't cancelled
And neither is hope.
If we lean on each other,
I know we can cope.

Meanwhile, in New Zealand...

Highlights | PRADA Christmas Race - YouTube

The most astounding evidence that life is returning to normal (whatever that might be) is the preliminaries for the America's Cup yacht races. Overseas teams competing out on the water surrounded by spectators and not a mask in sight. Oh, and the racing is spectacular - those big AC75 foiling yachts are amazing to watch, reaching speeds in excess of 30 knots. (yes, I know, perhaps not the best thing during a global pandemic, but just saying, if more countries chose to manage the pandemic better than what they have been, things around the world could be very different.)

Meanwhile in New South Wales Australia.....
We are locked in to our state. North, South and West they just don't want us any more.
Was planning a trip to Melbourne to visit Bru in law, that is out as the Greater Sydney area is a Red zone!
All because a few Idiots don't have "testing" in their vocabulary.
Including Airline crew. One of which went out On the Town while on a layover and f****d it up.
And....... an infected band member played all over the Northern beaches, Bondi and the like and spread 19 all over.
Now many cases are springing up and as a consequence, we are in lock down.

Yacht racing nuuumann!
My favorite, Sydney to Hobart has been cancelled because Tasmania doesn't want to re-introduce the virus.
Don't blame them! But, damn, I like to keep up with the progress of this race!!

My kids and their kids are in the S.F. Bay area. Haven't a clue what's going on there!

Stay safe!

... a possibility is previous exposure to a similar covid-strain that was regional but never went pandemic .. this 'theory' has been postulated to account for the Chinese population's first responded back last January .... and let's be honest ..... we in the West put our immune systems at risk - letting them get lazy and bored - by doing everything under the sun to avoid immune system 'challenges'.
Kids should eat 'dirt' IMO and adults shouldn't stop ....
Here in California, a second "surge" strated in October and everyone was running around trying to pin the blame on anything under the sun (Halloween parties, church worship, Christmas shopping, etc.) - but history shows that every single pandemic (or epidemic) in the past few hundred years has had a second "surge" in the fall of that particular year.
It may be due to colder temps driving people indoors, spending more time in enclosed areas or whatever, but the fact remains that there has always been a second spike before the virus receeds.

My favorite, Sydney to Hobart has been cancelled because Tasmania doesn't want to re-introduce the virus. Don't blame them! But, damn, I like to keep up with the progress of this race!!

Yup, I have a passing interest in the Sydney to Hobart, but the AC is happening now and has piqued a lot of people's interest because of the global situation, not to mention that the race courses can be seen from land relatively easily, which means massive spectator numbers - gives people an excuse to go out and do something different after what has been a trying year for everyone.

Keep safe too, mate. Hoping to visit Aussie sometime soon. I used to live there and have friends and family in NSW, ACT and QLD, so hopefully the trans-tasman bubble will get to include the whole country.

Keep safe too, mate. Hoping to visit Aussie sometime soon. I used to live there and have friends and family in NSW, ACT and QLD, so hopefully the trans-tasman bubble will get to include the whole country.

So wherebouts did you live?

Tassie, QLD and VIC are still not allowing NSW in under any circumstances.
QLD and VIC are finding Covid people who have Returned to their states from NSW.
And now NSW has the UK strain from incoming airline passengers!
What a mes this is cusing. Like the US a lot of people are more concerned with their own incomes than the infection rates.

Bill

As soon as I saw it was the Epoch Times, I just closed the link. Its a terrible source of far right biased opinion and less than fact based news. Its touted by Qanon (a pathetic joke of a movement) and conspiracy theorists.

As soon as I saw it was the Epoch Times, I just closed the link. Its a terrible source of far right biased opinion and less than fact based news.

So you missed the point where this was PREPARED by FACT-based ANALYSTS who were not in the employ of any far-anything group and REPORTED in Epoch Times.

Far-left media, like Yahoo, NYT, Hufffpo, won't carry anything inconsistent with the Public Panic Pandemic. Enough with the left-right slamming.

So I repeat: Is there any published statistical/medical analysis that concludes to the contrary?

So you missed the point where this was PREPARED by FACT-based ANALYSTS who were not in the employ of any far-anything group and REPORTED in Epoch Times.

Far-left media, like Yahoo, NYT, Hufffpo, won't carry anything inconsistent with the Public Panic Pandemic. Enough with the left-right slamming.

So I repeat: Is there any published statistical/medical analysis that concludes to the contrary?

You CAN PUT WHATEVER YOU WANT IN AN ARTICLE? WHO CHECKED THIS FACT BASED ANALYSIS?

The Epoch times is affiliated with a Chinese based religious group, and is known a spreader of FAKE NEWS and misinformation, especially far right FAKE NEWS.

This not about left vs. right. Far left FAKE NEWS is just as bad. How about getting NEWS that is actually NEWS and not just biased dribble that tells you what you want to hear? JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT SOMETHING TO BE TRUE, DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE. Even when your political handlers are telling you it is true. IF THEY TELL YOU A LIE LONG ENOUGH IT BECOMES THE TRUTH RIGHT?

Try getting information from scientific peer reviewed journals, and not political misinformation campaigns.

Medical experts have shown that when masks are worn properly in conjunction with necessary precautions they reduce transmission. When people don't wear them properly, and take all necessary precautions it does the opposite. Studies from around the world (places that have no dog in this political bullshit of fight we have here in the US) back this up.

There are conflicting studies, but the data backs up that mask use when done properly reduces transmission. The article below talks a lil about the conflicting reports, and also says that data supports masks when properly worn.

Face masks: what the data say

So, yes there probably is some truth and facts to what your article says, but what is the context? What do all the studies say? Science is constantly peer reviewed, and literature is constantly reviewed in these studies. Literature that supports both sides of the argument. That is why biased news sources such as Epoch Times and Huffpost are so bad. They only report their side of the truth. Left and right leaning are guilty of this.

I am now reading what you linked.
So far it seems a story with facts stirred in (as in paragraph 1+), and NOT a study/analysis of available data and NOT something peer-reviewed.

Is there any published statistical/medical analysis that concludes for or against The Mouth Diaper? I'm referring to the cloth/paper masks commonly distributed at store fronts or sold at WalMart.

I am now reading what you linked.
So far it seems a story with facts stirred in (as in paragraph 1+), and NOT a study/analysis of available data and NOT something peer-reviewed.

Is there any published statistical/medical analysis that concludes for or against The Mouth Diaper? I'm referring to the cloth/paper masks commonly distributed at store fronts or sold at WalMart.

Nice try...

Which is different from your article how? You posted a story with facts stirred in, and NOT a study/analysis of available data and NOT something peer-reviewed. You posted a political leaning media news source reporting one side if the story. Its side of the story. THE SIDE OF THE STORY ITS READERS WANT TO HEAR.

At least I provided a link to a scholarly source. Nature (what my link is) is a scholarly journal that features peer reviewed scientific research. It is not a politically biased questionable media source known for spreading Fake News, and Qanon conspiracy theories. The article is summarizing scientific research studies. At the bottom of it, you will find links to the peer reviewed scientific journal articles (which you may or may not have access too) that this article summarizes and backs up the information.

Last edited:
Either way, I need to follow Marcel's lead and stop coming into this thread. People have made up their mind based off of their leanings and choice of opinion based media. Everyone. There is no convincing (any of us) or changing of minds. And in the end we get into this sort of dribble.

Merry stolen pagan holiday to you all! :D

TheMadPenguin TheMadPenguin

My apologies for jumping on you. It was not personal, and I should not have done it. I'm under a lot of stupid stress lately, between my work and my Masters studies, and trying to balance that with my home life. I get kind of short fused some times. I need to work on that.

Having said that, when people use politically biased media sources it does set me off. Not just right leaning ones. As I said the left leaning ones are just as bad. Neither tells the entire story, just their side of it sprinkled with facts that only support their side.

Either way, my apologies, and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Same with everybody, Chris. But that's indeed why I avoid this thread nowadays. I do read it just to step in if things go out of hand, but I refrain from commenting. Luckily I haven't had step in until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back