Covid-19 reports

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's indeed the question, but that counts for all vaccines. If the spikes change, you'll have to create a new one. The advantage of using mRNA though is that adapting the vaccine is a breeze compared to the original mutulated virus approach or injecting the spike proteins. I'm less afraid for these mRNA injections as they don't contain any intact virusses at all. I read the testing reports and they are quite encouraging.

I'm expecting to take it when I can. Airlines are probably going to require it, and since my job requires travel I expect my company to make sure I get it as soon as possible. Plus I need to get on a plane and get back to Europe. I need to see my family again, as well as get away from all the craziness here.

Expect to have some side effects though. I read that 50% of the testgroup for the NIHi/Moderna vaccine showed mild symptomes like head ache, muscle pain and tiredness. It should subside within a few days at most though.

I will probably get vaccinated as well but won't be surprised if my turn doesn't show up until next Christmas. TBH, my concern over the new mRNA vaccine is that I have seen nothing that would set my mind at ease about potential long term effects.

I will probably get vaccinated as well but won't be surprised if my turn doesn't show up until next Christmas. TBH, my concern over the new mRNA vaccine is that I have seen nothing that would set my mind at ease about potential long term effects.
True, the technique has never been used in this scale yet, so it's a bit hard to be sure. But at the moment there are no indications that it will have more effects than normal vaccines and I don't think it will. First of all mRNA is highly unstable so it will be only active for a short period of time. The transcription is a fully natural proces. Second, encaptiulation of RNA in the DNA seems to be unlikely. Third of all, a virus injects way more mRNA in your cells than this vaccine.

Found an article readable for non-biologists which gives a bit of background to these mRNA vaccines: COVID-19 vaccines are safe, even with long-term data lacking

The article is informative but the following quote from it pretty much sums up my remaining concern.

"We will have more long-term safety information as we go on," says Magdalena Plebanski, professor of immunology at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia. "But can the world wait those two years for the vaccine?"

yeah it's not that there is no risk, but on the other hand, mRNA threadment has been used on cancer patients since 2011, research on these vaccins started in 1989 and first vaccins like this on mamals were already used in the '90ies. As a scientist, one has to acknowledge that until it is proven that there are no longterm effects. I this case it is not proven, so you have to say it is possible. At the moment it doesn't look likely though.
I myself feel a lot more confortable getting an mRNA vaccin than a heat-treated mutilated live virus as a vaccine. Think of it this way, the vaccine doesn't do anything different than the virus would do, apart from the fact that this controlled mRNA moleucure only codes for a very small part of the virus particle (spike proteins) while the virus inject quite a bit more mRNA in your cells, producing the whole virus structure.

Italy report, 10th January, weekly changes (holiday probably have influenced previous week data)
cases 2,276,491 +121,045, deaths 78,755 +3,423, recovered 1,617,804, +113,904, active cases 579,932, +3,718, tests 27,891,393, +965,114, people tested 15,422,188, +405,451, people vaccinated 643,219, +558,489
fatality rate 3.5% (=)
mortality rate 1,306 per million (+57)
test rate 462.4 per thousand (+16)
positive rate 14.8% (+0.4)
vaccinated on population 10,664 per million (+9,259)
test rate this week 16,001 per million (+1,409)
positive rate this week 29.9% (=)
new case rate this week 2,008 per million (+221)
new vaccinated this week 9,259 per million (+7,854)

Users who are viewing this thread