Creamer's Dream - Red Tails P-51D from the Tamiya kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One step forward: I primed everything.

DSCN1780.jpg
DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1784.jpg
DSCN1785.jpg
DSCN1780.jpg
DSCN1780.jpg
DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1784.jpg
DSCN1785.jpg

Tomorrow I will probably start painting and I still have a question for the experts about different colour shades of NMF.
I searched the web and I found that on several period pictures the only darker areas, besides weathering, are those pointed in this picture:
P-51D Tika IV edit.jpg

In your opinion, is this correct or you have different informations?
Many thanks in advance.
Alberto

As memo serves the rudder and elevators were of fabric covering and painted with silver coat only. The area at the exchaust pipes were made of heatproof plate and a little bit overheated usually. The bottom panels in front of the wing root were made of 1mm 35 1/2H type of dural plate while the almost entire fuselage was covered with 24ST dural plates of different thickness.

Last edited:
I did not mention above excellent photos you uploaded Terry; and the post you share Geo, both will be excellent references !!

Pending the track, receive best regards.:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Good reference from Geo. The heat resistant mentioned by Wojtek is consistently darker on almost all Mustang pics and could be Alclad Steel or Magnesium. I think the rest of the fuselage variations can be up to the modeler.

Started painting job, with the intent to use colours from a new Italian brand, KCOLORS.
On nmf they suggest to work on background colours, that means spray the same aluminium on either white or black gloss background.
Here a test done on plastic spoons:
Instead, if the paint is matt, the effect is natural aluminium as seen on drop tanks.

More to follow very soon.
Alberto
DSCN1792.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1791.jpg
    DSCN1791.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 54
This is where I stand now.
The puttied wing portion has been painted with Hobby Color Flat White and masked when dry with tape and film, then KCOLORS gloss white was sprayed on all remaining surfaces.
Tomorrow I will mask around some specific areas and paint them gloss black.
When everything will be dry. I will spray the aluminium and I hope the result will be ok.
Alberto

Attachments

• DSCN1786.jpg
    DSCN1786.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1788.jpg
    DSCN1788.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1789.jpg
    DSCN1789.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1790.jpg
    DSCN1790.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 56
DSC_8453.jpg

The area around the exhaust, back to the firewall is stainless steel. The rest is aluminum. Great thread and factory photos. The tinted canopy on Creamers Dream is really unique! Very cool

Jim

Hi,
not too good in quality, because of incorrect light I think, but here following are a few shots of the first coat of aluminium paint.
More to follow, hopefully soon.
Alberto
DSCN1813.JPG
DSCN1814.JPG
DSCN1815.JPG
DSCN1816.JPG
DSCN1817.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back