Creamer's Dream - Red Tails P-51D from the Tamiya kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everybody,
I'm here again to show some progress:

DSCN1721.JPG
DSCN1723.JPG

DSCN1729.JPG

and a big step backwards.

DSCN1722.JPG

Where is gone the engine?

Here it is:

DSCN1725.JPG

Broken back into pieces!
Why?
When I did a dry fit,I found that the main cowling couldn't be positioned bacause the right bank wasn't glued with the correct angle.
The issue has been understood and tomorrow I will put those pieces together again and re-start the cabling job ...
Alberto

Fortunately the issue with the engine was not too difficult to sort-out, here the result:

DSCN1730.JPG
DSCN1731.JPG
DSCN1732.JPG

back in its place:

DSCN1733.JPG
DSCN1734.JPG
DSCN1735.JPG

Some little paint retouches are needed here and there,

and as you can see, cowls fit almost perfectly now.

DSCN1738.JPG
DSCN1739.JPG

More to follow soon.
Alberto

Good stuff Sergio. I didn't realize til now that there was just the single electrical harness along the top of the engine as the earlier model I'm working on has 2. Looks like you have it right though.

Many thanks for all comments, yes I'm moving fast with this project while I have two other model reasonably advanced slipping in the cabinet on my back.

Still, here some details of the lower part of the engine, will be almost invisible at the end, unfortunately.

DSCN1742.JPG

Instead details of the gun bay will be visible.

DSCN1743.JPG
DSCN1744.jpg

Next I assembled wings and fuselage together:

DSCN1745.jpg
DSCN1746.jpg
DSCN1747.jpg

It can be seen that those parts that can be switched to show the model on wheel or flying, leave large slots that must be filled with something.

Now I have to sort-out two big questions, will the wing of my model have to replicate the "puttied" surface? How should I manage to do that?
Many thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Alberto

Looking good Alberto.
Yes, the wing would be puttied, sealed and polished, as seen in the painting diagrams. I would think that a couple of coats of primer, heavier over the major joint, should do the job. Once the NMF is sprayed, it should look acceptable enough.

I did mine by filling the panel lines with CA glue and filing and sanding smooth. Would have been easier to do that before assembly though.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
One question on the filler: I'm not enough confident in my capability to use ca glue as filler on such large areas, so I would prefer to use something softer.
For instance I have Mr Surfacer 100 in a rattle can, but it's too difficult to control, but I also have a jar of the same and I would prefer to use it, so the question is: what should I use to thin it in order to spray with an airbrush.
Thanks
Alberto

My opinion: thinning and spraying defeats the purpose and you will end up having to put on several coats to hide the details. If you use a brush and apply the stuff from the bottle directly onto the rivets and panel lines, it may go quicker.

Last edited:
I meant "thinning and spraying", not "filling and spraying" and have fixed my post. Sounds like you understood what I was trying t say anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back